110 line from breaker box suggestions?

jasonc

« on: 14 Mar 2004, 04:28 pm »
I'm about to swap out a 50's(?) era electrical line, looking for suggestions on line type and AWG for in-wall electrical wire. Also looking for suggestions for circuit breaker type and amps (20 amps enough?). This will be a dedicated line, only about a 12' run, so my search is for a good high grade alternative for audio that may be available either online our say a Home Depot.

Thanks!

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2004, 04:41 pm »
I've been deciding on some new cable for a room for a while...

For a dedicated room, I'd choose Belden 83803.  It's very well shielded, teflon coated, and just all around good wire.  I'm pretty sure it exceeds all codes for in-wall wiring as well.

However, since I can't afford to do that at the moment, I'll be getting some Romex 12/3 or something like that... and maybe putting it in some conduit since it's going through the crawlspace  under my house.

Lastly, it's been recommended to me to use THNN wire.  I've seen it used in power cord recipes as well... I'm sure it'd be good but I don't know if it would pass code.

For breakers, I'll defer to someone with more experience.  They all look similar to me at HD or Lowes.  I've always used Square-D but, I don't know if they're the best... but, they're more expensive.

-Carl

jasonc

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2004, 04:50 pm »
Thanks Carlman, the Belden looks like a good choice!  I'm fortunate enough to have such a short run to worry about.

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2004, 04:58 pm »
I think DH Labs also sells power cable by the foot, a bit hard to find on the website, but it's there somewhere. I'm going to use 12g Romex from the contractor.

http://www.silversonic.com/

biz

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:27 pm »
Just be sure you use at least 14 ga. for a 15 amp line and 12 ga. for a 20 amp line.  The extra cost of running a 20 amp line is nearly nothing and I'd suggest doing that.  Romex is fine.  That short of a run 12 ga. is fine and 10 ga won't hurt anything but is more difficult to work with.  The only hard part is bending the end so it fits nice on the outlet.  Just use needle nose pliers and take the screws out of the outlet.  The outlet screws feel like they won't come out but with a little muscle they will. Make sure the connections are good and use a polarity checker (5 bucks) to make sure you did it right.  Black is HOT and White is neutral and of course green is ground.  Black will go to the gold colored side of the outlet (the smaller slot).  Be careful.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:31 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
However, since I can't afford to do that at the moment, I'll be getting some Romex 12/3 or something like that...

Carl,

No need for 12/3 Romex, 12/2 is what you want. 12/3 is for 3 phase as it's 4 conductor. 12/2 is 3 conductor cable. They don't count the ground in the 12/2 or 12/3 designations.

I installed 10/2 Romex in my 20A dedicated circuit. Sure, 10/2 Romex is a bit stiffer than 12/2. But it wasn't impossible to work with.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:38 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
Lastly, it's been recommended to me to use THNN...

In Florida, using THHN is up to code IF it's run in metal conduit. I've worked for a general contractor whose electrical subs used THHN all the time.

BTW, JPS also makes in wall AC cable (rather expensive)--
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/jps_power_ac_in_wall.htm

jasonc

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2004, 08:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I'm considering THHN as well.