Did you ever consider a digital amp before Bryston?

tcsubwoofer

Did you ever consider a digital amp before Bryston?
« on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:32 pm »
I've been lurking the forums collecting ideas on a new amp to be purchased sometime next year.  I've been leaning heavily on getting one of the new digital amps like a Cherry Plus but I simply cannot ignore the reputation and warranty of Bryston.  I want something with lots of power to run a set of 86 DB sensitivity speakers and also play well at low volumes.  I want an all around performer.  Really not that interested in buying a new amp every year to get the right sound and I want to spring for something I'll keep for a long time.

I've always had the impression, and not by experience, that brystons were a bit dry.  Not trying to start a flame, but for that alone I have avoided.

Was just hoping for some friendly input on my amp journey and why I should buy Bryston?

Thanks,
Todd
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2010, 09:26 pm by tcsubwoofer »

Charles Calkins

Re: Did you ever consider a digital amp before Bryston?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2010, 07:38 pm »
Channel Islands audio makes very good Digital amps.  Check them out here on audiocircle. Plus+++ Excellent customer service.

Cheers
                                            Charlie

budt

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:25 pm »
  I think it depends what your after. I tried a few digital amps and didn't like them.The bottom end was great but the midrange and upper end seemed to be not quite right.I think digital amps have a ways to go yet.Maybe after a few more years they will get more refined.

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:57 pm »
Define, "....lots of power...."!

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:47 pm »

Permit me to take a "stab" at this one...

Sorry, I just could not resist  :P

Oh by the way, these two amplifiers are not the "²" serries, you can tell by the two missing items - James no helping please  :D

Be well...

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2010, 11:21 pm »
if you go dig make sure on the return policy BC used to allow a month now its 2 weeks and that sure as hell isnt enough time to judge a dig amp,they will wow you at first with bass wallop,etc but long term listening ,well thats a whole nother story.

wrathchild

• Bryston Ballistics
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2010, 05:34 am »
Dry... like a good wine maybe.  I've heard such stories too, to each their own.. not a bad thing. Most on this forum would testify to other descriptives. Me being one.

Fortunately I paid less attention to such stories and had a friend introduce me to Bryston. Crystal clean, uncolored, authoritative, accurate, revealing, and so on. They power my Maggies superbly.

What speakers are you using?

Good luck on your quest, but do yourself the justice of finding a few Bryston set ups to demo thoroughly, Bryston may sell itself to you.

And they look so friggin' cool,  Laundrew I'll see yer 28's and raise ya 2 Torus and a 4Bsst. ( Drummer, you stay outta this, nobody can compete with you except James) :D

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2010, 08:54 am »
Laundrew: Two missing....... LEDs.

lanchile

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:05 pm »
I've been lurking the forums collecting ideas on a new amp to be purchased sometime next year.  I've been leaning heavily on getting one of the new digital amps like a Cherry Plus but I simply cannot ignore the reputation and warranty of Bryston.  I want something with lots of power to run a set of 86 DB sensitivity speakers and also play well at low volumes.  I want an all around performer.  Really not that interested in buying a new amp every year to get the right sound and I want to spring for something I'll keep for a long time.

I've always had the impression, and not by experience, that brystons were a bit dry.  Not trying to start a flame, but for that alone I have avoided.

Was just hoping for some friendly input on my amp journey and why I should buy Bryston?

Thanks,
Todd

Stay away from these digital amps, they suck! But again it is just my opinion, and Why you should buy Bryston? well, will other companies give you QUALITY, 20 YEARS WARRANTY, BEST SUPPORT AND BEATIFUL SOUND?. if you are in this forum  (Bryston) you already made a good choice!. I strongly recommend you Bryston. :thumb:

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:08 pm »
The cherry amp has 400 watts into 8 ohms and 750 watts into 4 ohms.  I like the thought of having all that power and headroom because I do listen loud to heavy metal, jazz, and classical on harder to run speakers (86db Selah Audio RC-5G right now, completing 90 db GR Research LS-6 speakers by end of month and keeping both).  According to John Johnson in his review of the 14B SST2 in the June issue of "Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fidelity" he endorses owning a high wattage amp like the 14B SST2 because it can handle huge wattage swings that come with crescendos and such in music.  I buy into that argument and I like the idea of a 600 watt amp like the 14B SST2.  Only problem is the 14B SST2 is way out of my range right now.  Would have to wait for used.

turkey

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:34 pm »

Stay away from these digital amps, they suck! But again it is just my opinion, and Why you should buy Bryston? well, will other companies give you QUALITY, 20 YEARS WARRANTY, BEST SUPPORT AND BEATIFUL SOUND?. if you are in this forum  (Bryston) you already made a good choice!. I strongly recommend you Bryston. :thumb:

I don't think that all Class D amps suck. I heard an amp from DAC that was quite good, and I've heard amps using the Hypex modules and they were good too.

Bryston is an excellent choice, but there are other brands out there that are worth considering too.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:43 pm »
A "Class D" amplifier is one thing, but a "digital" amplifier is a very different animal !!
I don't know of any commercially available "digital" amplifiers.

turkey

« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:52 pm »
A "Class D" amplifier is one thing, but a "digital" amplifier is a very different animal !!
I don't know of any commercially available "digital" amplifiers.

How about the NAD M2?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2010, 06:20 pm »
How about the NAD M2?

Now I know of one.
Gee, it was introduced about 1 &1/2 years ago.  Does it have any competition?  Any technical discussions on whether it meets all the requirements to be a true digital amplifier?

1oldguy

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2010, 06:30 pm »
No,and I still wouldn't.

turkey

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2010, 06:39 pm »
Now I know of one.
Gee, it was introduced about 1 &1/2 years ago.  Does it have any competition?  Any technical discussions on whether it meets all the requirements to be a true digital amplifier?

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/nad-m2-direct-digital-amplifier

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nad/m2.html

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-m2-direct-digital-integrated-amplifier

I was mistaken. It appears that it's digital for the front end and then has a Class D output. So it's not really "pure digital."

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:48 pm »
The very last chapter of Bob Cordell's new book "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers" covers "Alternative Class D Amplifiers".
The differences are getting fuzzy-er.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 21 Dec 2010, 08:15 pm »
 Didi di di di gi tal ? amp ? NO!

charles

turkey

« Reply #18 on: 21 Dec 2010, 09:33 pm »
The very last chapter of Bob Cordell's new book "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers" covers "Alternative Class D Amplifiers".
The differences are getting fuzzy-er.

I've been thinking about buying a copy of that. It looks really interesting.

bummrush

« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2010, 09:34 pm »
$37 on Amazon