Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 vs: Silverline Minuet?

Mass. Wine Guy

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 vs: Silverline Minuet?
« on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:26 am »
Does anyone own a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 speakers? I'd love to know what you think of them and any negatives about them (if relevant). I own a pair of Minuets and they're very good. Just curious.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 vs: Silverline Minuet?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:43 am »
I love my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 speakers (smaller, orginal 2-ways).  Very high content value, image like demons, very musical, but the finish is cheesy vinyl (better finishes are now available and from what I've seen of the Sierra's they have good finish options).  I use them for HT L/R mains and they are overkill for my modest HT wants.

goorackerelite

Re: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 vs: Silverline Minuet?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:06 am »
I own both pairs of Sierras and 170ses.

THe Sierras are amazing if given the proper amplification, I mean they need JUICE!!! I'm talking 100WPC+ to bring that soundstage and bass to life.

On the other hand the 170SEs give about 90% of the Sierras even besting them on neutrality and tonal balance. The 170ses look like cheap plastic boxes but are well constructed. While the Sierras excel in Bass reach, bass control and bass power, they're almost bass heavy, and have a great world class construction and rich feel to them aesthetically, they're just sexier and classier looking than the 170s.