Speaker Cable Comparison

Wayne1

Speaker Cable Comparison
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2003, 01:55 am »
The M-80 and the Nitro both use the same wire to carry the positve portion of the signal.

The M-80 is a coaxial design with a tinned, copper, braided shield carrying the negative signal.

The NITRO is a shielded, twisted pair with a separate wire carrying the negative siganl and then a floating braided shield covering the two conductors.

I feel the Nitro is far more dynamic than the M-80 and it reproduces the mids and highs with more articulation and depth.

The Bybee Nitro does have a small Bybee Quantum Purifier in the middle of the cable run in series with the positive conductor. This gives the Nitro even more dynamics as I feel it lowers the noise floor even more. It also imparts a more "natural" sound to the mids.

CJ

Re: Speaker Cable Comparison
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jul 2006, 01:21 pm »
I am currently suspicious that these cables are being overrated until we can get a good to honest third-party blind test done. Once you know the characteristics of the cables, switching to blind immediately after listening to them sort of defeats the testing methodology.

Has anyone really done a third-party blind test on high quality cable?

Every leap in cost and quality of cable nets you so much less in any improvement from my own ears. I guess everyone is different but the crazy costs just don't seem to justify the miniscule gain you will receive. The except in my mind is the use of the Bybees. I believe this one particular item is what is drawing my attention more than any other component of the wire design. Nice!

Double Ugly

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jul 2006, 01:28 pm »
I guess everyone is different but the crazy costs just don't seem to justify the miniscule gain you will receive.

1.  The costs don't have to be "crazy."

2.  The gains aren't miniscule in my system.

3.  Posting comments such as yours in the Circle of a manufacturer who builds and sells cables for a living is in bad taste.

YMMV, but only on #s 1 and 2.

Wayne1

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jul 2006, 04:01 pm »
The cost of the cable is relative to each person. The most expensive single ended interconnect I offer is $580.00 for a meter pair. There are plenty of companies that START at $750.00 a meter pair and go up from there.

If you do not feel there is any benefit to "high priced" cables in your system then don't buy any. The most benefit you can get per dollar invested is room treatment. If your room is not treated, all you are doing is spinning your wheels with cable changes.

The first two pages of comments in this thread were written over 3 years ago. I have added another line of interconnects and stopped making the Nitro with Bybee Inside. I feel the Summit design does sound better than the Nitro design with the Bybee Purifiers inside.

Third party tests are fairly meaningless. It is rather doubtful the third party will have a room that is the same as yours with the exact same gear. The ONLY way to know for certain if you will like what a cable does in your system is to listen to it in your system with music you are familiar with.

LadyDog

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jul 2006, 06:13 pm »
Agree w/DU.  As most will attest around here, Wayne is one of the better guys in the business.  Offering very good products at reasonable prices.  And an all-around good guy to boot.

Regards,
Jeff

CJ

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jul 2006, 09:01 pm »
It was never my intent to come across in such a way as to sound overly negative, harsh or critical though I did expect customers to want to defend their investments and I enjoy hearing about their personal experiences. Only that I was wondering if there was a more scientific review of the effects of this high quality cabling when one has done the homework to at least ensure they already have the right speaker wire size for the ohm rating and distance to travel as well as good connections.

I do not consider it bad taste to ask the manufacturer for more information to make a purchase decision. He is the one in the "know" and help alleviate concerns I have as he has done quite well. A smart consumer should always be curious and ask questions. I just want to ensure I am doing the right thing before taking the plunge as I felt the cable comparison method had some issues and worry about the hawthorne effect.

I understand that mileage will vary, which is why I am digging for information for spousal appeasement. Thank you Jeff and Double Ugly, one thing I do not doubt is Wayne's professionalism and integrity.

Double Ugly

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jul 2006, 10:57 pm »
...though I did expect customers to want to defend their investments and I enjoy hearing about their personal experiences.
FYI, I have purchased *nothing* in the way of cables from Wayne, and whatever my reason(s) for defending Wayne, investment protection is not among them.

I do not consider it bad taste to ask the manufacturer for more information to make a purchase decision.
Nor do I. 

Bad taste is resurrecting a 3-year old thread to imply the manufacturer's wares are "questionable" and "overrated."  Adding insult to injury is doing so in his own Circle. 

A smart consumer should always be curious and ask questions.  I just want to ensure I am doing the right thing before taking the plunge as I felt the cable comparison method had some issues and worry about the hawthorne effect.
Asking questions and casting implied aspersions are not the same thing.

I understand that mileage will vary, which is why I am digging for information for spousal appeasement.
Unfortunately, the need for spousal appeasement seems to be the only thing we agree on.

Thank you Jeff and Double Ugly, one thing I do not doubt is Wayne's professionalism and integrity.
You're welcome CJ, though I submit suggesting Wayne's cables are "overrated" and sold at a "crazy costs" just might be interpreted as being in conflict with your professed faith in his professionalism and integrity.

Bottom line - this medium is a notoriously bad way of communicating.  It's far too easy to misinterpret intent, as is possibly the case here.  I suggest a better method of finding the answers you claim to seek is to ask Wayne direct questions in a new thread, send him an email or call him. 

Making your first post in a manufacturer's Circle using words and phrases like "suspicious", "overrated", "crazy costs" and "miniscule gain" does not lend itself to being seen as an innocent information hound...especially when you dig up a 3-year old thread to do it.

-Jim

Hantra

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jul 2006, 11:09 pm »
 :scratch:

Umm. . Welcome to AC CJ. 

These guys are overly vigilant at times b/c we get so many trolls around here. 

You'll never get an answer to your question until you experiment for yourself.  Wayne makes some slammin' cables for not a lot of money, AND he will let you send them back if you hate them, so give 'em a shot. .

B

95bcwh

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jul 2006, 11:19 pm »
Agree w/DU.  As most will attest around here, Wayne is one of the better guys in the business.  Offering very good products at reasonable prices.  And an all-around good guy to boot.

Regards,
Jeff

I haven't bought anything from Wayne, I mean ZERO...nada.. However, Wayne is by far one of the most helpful persons (He's well up there in my top 5 list, among thousands of people) I have ever known!  :thumb:

CJ

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2006, 07:17 am »
You know, I failed to realize it was an old thread since it was linked by the manufacturer website so that I could see cable comparisons. I basically wanted to know if there were more indepth analysis performed of the likes I mentioned before. Typed words are always read harsher than if spoken especially when poorly chosen since nobody can see the body language and tone of voice. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I enter a forum again. This being a manufacturer's inner circle is tacit knowledge and nothing I could have been aware of. Either way, sorry I have offended. I've since redirected my inquiries towards upgrading my Oppo instead.

Frihed91

Pardon me from breaking in on a 3-yr old thread
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jul 2006, 09:33 am »
I have never heard Boulder cables. (I used to live in Boulder, CO, though...so I am an expert).

Many people trust blind tests more than their own ears.  The information that repeated trials over small samples of people yield to the rejection of the null hypothesis (i.e., reject H(0): No difference) doesn't help me at all in buying cables.  The people in the samples don't have my system; they are not making the comparisons through it; and they probably aren't even listening to the cables I had/have or wanted/want.   And they CAN hear/NOT hear  A difference.  Well, woop-de-doo. 

Before i bought my current speakers cables, i heard them countless times through other systems  at the dealer; auditioned them at home with 2 other sets of speaker cables for a week; and then after i returned them went through this same process with other speaker cables.  A few months later, i auditioned the cables for a second time, and bought them for $750.

I subsequently bought some headphone speaker cables from a different mfr (mail order) with the same design and materials (99.9999% copper: 80 strand Litz in four conductors), without hearing them (for $115) and guess what: the exact same sound characteristics.

There is no learning built into blind tests.

John
Copenhagen

MaxCast

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jul 2006, 11:33 am »
:scratch:

Umm. . Welcome to AC CJ. 

These guys are overly vigilant at times b/c we get so many trolls around here. 

You'll never get an answer to your question until you experiment for yourself.  Wayne makes some slammin' cables for not a lot of money, AND he will let you send them back if you hate them, so give 'em a shot. .

B

I agree with this one.  Welcome to AC, CJ.

Double Ugly

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jul 2006, 02:39 pm »
Typed words are always read harsher than if spoken especially when poorly chosen since nobody can see the body language and tone of voice. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I enter a forum again.
Very true.  I've 'stepped in it' more than once on new boards, despite my best efforts to avoid it.  I tried to kid with a fan of a rival university once, and folks came out of the woodwork wanting to fight.  And though this person and I had recently traded several emails, he supported them!  :o

Either way, sorry I have offended. I've since redirected my inquiries towards upgrading my Oppo instead.
I'm not sure there's an apology owed unless it's from me.  It appears I mistook you comments to be of the troll variety, and for that - and for the subsequent cross-examination - I apologize.  AC is a wonderful community, and I think you'll find a more helpful and courteous group here than most anywhere else on the 'net.

Best of luck with the Oppo upgrade.  I have the same player, but haven't bitten the bullet for the upgrades yet.

Regards,

-Jim

bubba966

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jul 2006, 06:07 pm »
Best of luck with the Oppo upgrade.  I have the same player, but haven't bitten the bullet for the upgrades yet.

Regards,

-Jim

The OPPO upgrade is well worth the $. And Jim, now that your display has been very nicely ISF'd you really should fix up that OPPO. It won't be hard to notice the improvement...