14B SST2 runs much warmer on one side. Any reason ?

zeiter

14B SST2 runs much warmer on one side. Any reason ?
« on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:08 pm »
I  noticed that when I play my system, my Bryston 14B SST2 is much warmer on left side than right side, when i check it on the top or side cooling fins, big difference.  The heat is nothing alarming, it's just normal  operating warm on left side compared to almost turned off on right side . Is there a reason for that ?  I know the toroidal transformers are located in center front, on top of each other, so is there something wrong with it, or what's the reason ? Thanks

Phil A

Re: 14B SST2 runs much warmer on one side. Any reason ?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:11 pm »
On my 14BSST, I had it much warmer on the right side with my old Thiel 7.2s.  I never figured it out - have the 3.7s now and it might be a hair warmer but nothing like before

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:12 pm »
Hi zeiter,

The 14B is a dual mono design so each channel bias is hand adjusted independently to provide the best possible performance on that specific channel. If there is a large difference I would be concerned but a small difference can be simply a slightly different bias settings or can also be just the slight difference in load in the system from one channel vs another.

james
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2010, 06:33 pm by James Tanner »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:02 pm »
One of my amplifiers runs a little warmer; I mostly notice this when I am "working" them. Working the beasties  :lol:

:D

Be well...

Napalm

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:35 pm »
On my 14BSST, I had it much warmer on the right side with my old Thiel 7.2s.  I never figured it out - have the 3.7s now and it might be a hair warmer but nothing like before

Gremlins!  :green:

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2010, 10:54 pm »
My 7BSST2's have done the same thing since I installed them.  I measured about a 6 degree F differential art normal levels and did everything immaginable to isolate it and it came down to the same channel (not the same amp) every time.  That's one thing you can do with the mono's that you can't with the 14B.  The 7's are the same amp save for double the power supply capacity per channel.  From my experience I can tell you its probably not your amp but I can't tell you what it is.   I've just decided to swap sides every few months so the same amp is not aways on the warmer side.  Like Laundrew pointed out with his 28B's the differential can be more pronounced when cranking it up.

Napalm

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2010, 11:03 pm »
Guys, you could use a thermocouple to produce electrical power!

Nap.  :thumb:  :lol:

Laundrew

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:16 am »
Guys, you could use a thermocouple to produce electrical power!

Nap.  :thumb:  :lol:

Nah... I use mine to heat the basement  :thumb:

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:20 am »
I've just decided to swap sides every few months so the same amp is not aways on the warmer side. 

Great idea Bill  :thumb:

Be well...

zeiter

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:00 pm »
Hi zeiter,

The 14B is a dual mono design so each channel bias is hand adjusted independently to provide the best possible performance on that specific channel. If there is a large difference I would be concerned but a small difference can be simply a slightly different bias settings or can also be just the slight difference in load in the system from one channel vs another.

james
Thanks James and everybody also. I measured  both sides, and found close to 2 degrees C in difference. Is this considered slight or a lot in terms of difference. I know , that to the touch, it`s obvious. Thanks