Couple of RM30 Questions

StevenACNJ

Couple of RM30 Questions
« on: 13 Mar 2004, 06:33 pm »
Been thinking about buying a pair of these speakers. Would like your input on the following:

1. Can they be built as a kit?
2. What kind of internal speaker wiring is used & are there any options?
3. Your opinions on sonic differences between cap options: Dont know what standard caps are, Auricap & TRT caps.

Thanks in advance

PT611

Couple of RM30 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2004, 06:57 pm »
They can be built as kits.  The final pieces of my kits, cabinets and crossovers, arrived this week.  I posted a few pics of the cabinet and base Thursday night, gallery 18 or 19, I think.  I'll add some pics of the internals soon.

I just finished my 626R kits today and was just listening to them, I'm smiling  :D .  Am doing an LRC next, then the RM30s.  LRC is basically same assembly as 626R, otherwise I would do RM30s next.

Really did not discuss internal wiring options with Brian, so have standard I assume.  Woofer is wired with Analysis Plus copper and others are a silver plated stranded wire.

I upgraded my caps to the Auricaps on all.  Everyone that has the TRTs raves about them, but I am building entire system from ground up so could not handle the extra expense.  I read various great reviews on the Auricaps too and felt they were the best for me.  And after the first hour of my 626Rs in stereo, I'm pleased with the decision.

I also upgraded all tweeters to the FST, highly recommended.

I got all my kits as 'complete kits'.  Finished cabinets included.

I'll post more info on my kit experiences soon.  I've enjoyed the 626R assembly and would do it again, oh I am soon as I finish this post.

Hope this helps some, later

StevenACNJ

Couple of RM30 Questions
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2004, 12:53 pm »
Could someone give me more detail on what exactly will be the benefit of spending the $1500 extra for the TRT caps. Seems like a lot of money. Wondering if the caps have like cascading bypass's or are we just talking about a lot of caps in each crossover.

Thanks

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Caps
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2004, 02:33 am »
TRT Dynamicaps MSRP $1200pr all models.  They are painstakingly hand wound foil, hand-trimmed to 1/2000th of 1% tolerance.  Most or all who have heard them respond positively.  I heard Michael Percy sells them now, & long-time fanatic custom builders swear they are literally untouchable.  We know of no other commercial speaker including these caps.  If they did, considering the price, you'd know it.  They are one of those rare items, ultra expensive yet still offering great value if you can afford them.    

Upon email request I'll reply with an attachment comprising my "Capacitor Upgrade" document.  I've never seen a negative response on the upgrades, but conversely the RM40 won Best High End honors with standard Exon/Solen caps, no slouches those.  The bottom line is most or all are happy with standard caps till they directly compare with the upgrades.  

Potential dillema: you get standard caps.  Your buddy hears the ribbons, loves them, & promptly orders his own pair (another inferior & more expensive cone speaker arrives in the "for sale" listings).  But your buddy does the all-American thing, one-ups you & upgrades his caps.  In this case, you must avoid auditioning your buddy's speakers.  You might hear the difference & be struck with upgraditis.  All models can be retrofitted except possibly the little 626Rs, sorely lacking internal work space except for the daintyist hands (also sorely lacking on most audiophles).  My 2c.