Halladay.....Hammels......Oswalt and now..... Lee !

twitch54

Halladay.....Hammels......Oswalt and now..... Lee !
« on: 18 Dec 2010, 02:23 pm »
I know it's 'old news' now but is there a better four man rotation in the game today or for that matter....ever ??

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Halladay.....Hammels......Oswalt and now..... Lee !
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2010, 02:56 pm »
I know it's 'old news' now but is there a better four man rotation in the game today or for that matter....ever ??

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

On paper it is a killer rotation, but let's see what happens on the field.  The last few killer rotations from the Braves (90's) and Mets (80's) didn't translate into post season success.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:24 pm »
I'm just glad that Lee landed in the National League and not with the American League East team that everyone had expected to have happen.  :duh:

I really don't care whom my Boston RED SOX meet next year in the World Series so more power to the Philly fans next season.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:54 pm »
To be honest we Philly fans are in shock and utter disbelief.  I guess Lee is like the jilted lover who just can't resist giving it another go round.  To take less money to go back to the place that dumped him out of hand after the WS, we're stunned.  Happy, but stunned.  Of course we'll welcome him with open arms like a prodigal son, and hope that it translates to getting over losing a big bat in the lineup.  I suppose he just didn't want to play for that "other" AL owner.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2010, 06:00 pm »
Remember just a few short years ago when our Phillies couldn't put together a solid pitching staff and now it could be the most dominant staff in the Majors. Now all we need to do is get the hitters to hit when the playoffs start, not the next season.
Should be fun!!!

The Phillies, The Eagles, how are the Flyers doing? Lots to cheer about in Philly for sports fans!!! :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2010, 06:39 pm »
To be honest we Philly fans are in shock and utter disbelief.  I guess Lee is like the jilted lover who just can't resist giving it another go round.  To take less money to go back to the place that dumped him out of hand after the WS, we're stunned.  Happy, but stunned.  Of course we'll welcome him with open arms like a prodigal son, and hope that it translates to getting over losing a big bat in the lineup.  I suppose he just didn't want to play for that "other" AL owner.

Evidently it's not always "all about the money". Or maybe it's he misses stepping up to the plate and facing his adversary mano-a-mano.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2010, 07:07 pm »
I love baseball and the Yankees but Octumber (Dr. Suess) is just to far away boys  :lol: :icon_lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2010, 07:13 pm »
I love baseball and the Yankees but Octumber (Dr. Suess) is just to far away boys  :lol: :icon_lol:

As we're just in the beginning stages of winter, looking ahead to the start of baseball is all we've got to get us thru the winter months.  :duh: 

April can't get here quick enough afaic.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2010, 07:18 pm »

As we're just in the beginning stages of winter, looking ahead to the start of baseball is all we've got to get us thru the winter months.  :duh: 

Cheers,
Robin

I have audio no matter what time of the year it is. Hot cold wet or dry it doesn't matter  :thumb:

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2010, 07:18 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

If I rooted for the Cowgirls, I would be counting the days till pitchers and catchers report.

Then again, if I rooted for the Cowgirls, I would need to be shot!   :lol:

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2010, 07:36 pm »
If I rooted for the Cowgirls, I would be counting the days till pitchers and catchers report.

Then again, if I rooted for the Cowgirls, I would need to be shot!   :lol:

George

I sure do wish you were a Cowboy fan George just so I could oblige ya.  :lol:

Then again I do appreciate your understanding of my plight.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2010, 08:21 pm »

Evidently it's not always "all about the money". Or maybe it's he misses stepping up to the plate and facing his adversary mano-a-mano.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Yeah, the DH is the dumbest rule ever, takes all of the strategy out that makes the game so good.  Otherwise why not just watch batting practice. 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2010, 08:38 pm »
Yeah, the DH is the dumbest rule ever, takes all of the strategy out that makes the game so good.  Otherwise why not just watch batting practice.

Yes and no. While I agree with your strategy angle, I highly disagree with your batting practice comment. I'm American League all the way. I would rather have the added offense that a designated hitter provides than an automatic pitcher out that's pretty much a given in the National League. The added strategy comes at the price of less scoring action and shortens the playing time for the older premier hitters of the game who can't handle the fielding duties like they use to but can still stroke the ball.

I might add that the American/National Allstar games pretty much highlight the better of the 2 conferences IMHO.  :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Robin

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2010, 08:39 pm »
If not Brown and Or Mayberry, Jr filling the shoes of Werth (well at least trying to) then we'll see what other tricks Amaro has up his sleve.

As for Blanton and Kendrick, one or both will be gone for sure. I expect Raul may have ended his Philly carrer as well, I really like him.

As we all know the season is a long one but if the Phillies can stay away from the 'IR' bug I see no reason why they can't win at least 100 games. BTW, last time I looked Vegas had the over/under for them @ 96 games.........I just might bet the over !

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2010, 08:42 pm »
Hey Robin, out of curiosity.........how the heck did you become a Cowboys fan and a Red Sox fan ?? Did you grow up in a town half way between Boston and Dallas that had no professional sports ?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2010, 09:32 pm »

Yes and no. While I agree with your strategy angle, I highly disagree with your batting practice comment. I'm American League all the way. I would rather have the added offense that a designated hitter provides than an automatic pitcher out that's pretty much a given in the National League. The added strategy comes at the price of less scoring action and shortens the playing time for the older premier hitters of the game who can't handle the fielding duties like they use to but can still stroke the ball.

I might add that the American/National Allstar games pretty much highlight the better of the 2 conferences IMHO.  :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Robin

In the last ten years 5 Al teams and 5 NL teams have won the World Series.  Not overwhelming for either league.

Of course you can prefer the DH or not as you choose.  But subsidizing players who can't field is hardly in the spirit of baseball.  And increased scoring at the cost of traditional baseball strategy is directly to my somewhat facetious point about watching batting practice.  But I recognize that I cannot change your mind and that there are good points on both sides.  I'd prolly have about as much luck as trying to convince you that the Cowgirls are not America's team, the Steelers are.   :thumb: 

Here's an interesting link:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/spreads-in-pitcher-hitting-and-dh-hitting/