I think I have a problem

John Casler

Re: I think I have a problem
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2010, 06:38 pm »
Look on the news section of the VMPS home page, there about half way down you see a good picture of them.

Ah yes, I have seen that "exact" driver.  It was one we had a THE Show maybe 3-4 years ago to show attendees just how heavy the (at that time NEW) MegaWoofer was with 40 oz magnets.  It felt like it weighed a ton.

It is like the OMG of 6" drivers.  Just didn't recall it having that particular shape phase plug. Probably listening "without" my glasses.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure if the shape affects the sound that much.

But again, Brian can firm that up.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2010, 07:36 pm »
The blunt, wooden phase plug is found in the earlier 28oz magnet version of the 6.5" megawoofer for the RM30 and 626R.

The new 40oz magnet version has a bullet metal phase plug that also acts as a shorting ring for the pole piece.  You'll notice the plug extends slightly beyond the plane of the cone surround.  This is to preserve the phase plug "action" at full excursion, about 8mm.  We've had this for about 3 yrs now.

If you have the 28oz/ blunt phase plug, you can upgrade to the later 40oz/bullet plug version for $100ea. No crossover change required.

Hipper

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2010, 10:00 am »
You were discussing the effect of glasses on hearing.

Do you think ear hair could have any impact on listening quality?

Brax

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:27 pm »
The newer 40oz Megawoofer do improve the bass output over the 28oz version. Having the newer version in my LCR gives me a pretty good A-B comparison. I remember when I first installed the LRC, I was floored by the amount of bass this speaker produced using only two 6-1/2" drivers. I will eventually upgrade to the newer style, that it will have to wait for a bit.
My impression of the RM30 so far is that they come very close to matching the RM40 in the mid to upper range output but lacks the bass the RM40s puts out. I'm sure adding the new Megawoofers will make a large improvement in that catagory. Running the RM30s with the Larger sub, the set sounds great and there really is no bass issue. But these are a fully loaded set of RM30's including the TRT cap upgrade and Analysis Plus wiring so doing this upgrage makes sense.

John Casler

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:06 pm »
You were discussing the effect of glasses on hearing.

Do you think ear hair could have any impact on listening quality?

Man, talk about an Ear Wig!!!

I bet that guy is filtering eveything over 10Khz :lol: :lol: :lol:

Could you imagine the "comb over"?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:17 pm »
Some say a glass of wine, bottle of beer, or taste of your favorite scotch or whatever may trigger an even deeper, to almost religious experience, but I get the same results with a protein shake. :scratch:

And for Miley Cyrus, salvia seems to do the trick  :D

My new problem just arrived at the office... strange, all of a sudden I'm not feeling so good. I think I need to go home  :shh:

John Casler

« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:37 pm »
The newer 40oz Megawoofer do improve the bass output over the 28oz version. Having the newer version in my LCR gives me a pretty good A-B comparison. I remember when I first installed the LRC, I was floored by the amount of bass this speaker produced using only two 6-1/2" drivers. I will eventually upgrade to the newer style, that it will have to wait for a bit.

I might add that the old mega is no slouch in the bass department.

I had both an LRC and a pair of 626r's with them and the bass was truly remarkable for the size.

I remember having that LRC on top of my projection TV and playing the DTS sampler DVD with the cut from the HAUNTING.  I don't think I have ever seen 6" woofers move so far without distorting or blowing up. :o :o

The air from the port would "literally" blow your hair back from 10 feet away (if you have hair)

My impression of the RM30 so far is that they come very close to matching the RM40 in the mid to upper range output but lacks the bass the RM40s puts out. I'm sure adding the new Megawoofers will make a large improvement in that catagory. Running the RM30s with the Larger sub, the set sounds great and there really is no bass issue. But these are a fully loaded set of RM30's including the TRT cap upgrade and Analysis Plus wiring so doing this upgrage makes sense.

If you are so inclined, you might fool around with the HIGH BOY tweak too.  It reduces the bass response just slightly, but increases the soundstage height.

John Casler

« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:43 pm »
And for Miley Cyrus, salvia seems to do the trick  :D

My new problem just arrived at the office... strange, all of a sudden I'm not feeling so good. I think I need to go home  :shh:

That  is how VMPSS starts.  It is often brought on by the arrival of the UPS Man with big boxes and by the time you unpack and fire up the speakers, you may have a "full blown" case.

It can even cause sleepless nights when you start listening to all the old CD's you haven't listened to in years.

Just drink plenty of liquids (preferably ones with a little kick) and keep yourself hydrated.  :beer: Some even suggest a "hot toddie" of some sort.

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:52 pm »
Just drink plenty of liquids (preferably ones with a little kick) and keep yourself hydrated.  :beer: Some even suggest a "hot toddie" of some sort.

Got a couple bottles of my latest homebrew chilled and ready... Doc Johnson's Rhubarb Stout - Good for What Ale's You! :wine:

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:54 am »
Need a better camera, but my new problems are up and running, now just into the second night.

My wife is critical when it comes to speakers, and that’s with respect to their sound, not necessarily their looks - she’s the one who utterly refuses to give up the Magnepans regardless of others I've tried, though she would love to see those door panels out of there.

I left the room after setting up the 626r pair, got them initially set and dialed in, and ran downstairs for a beer. When I came back I found her in the sweet spot. She looked up and said, “These sound really good.” Mind you, she has NEVER said that about another pair of speakers I've brought home besides our Magnepans.

Brax

« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2010, 12:52 pm »
Krikor,

I have never heard the 626s but I’m sure they have the signature VMPS sound. For me it’s the sound of the Neo Panels that give this speaker line it’s great sound and can’t be found anywhere else. These speakers don’t need a ton of power to drive them but they sure do sing when you drive them with a muscular amp. I drive mine with a Cinenova Grande 5 and could not be more pleased. Even though the 6-1/2” megawoofers put out an amazing amount of bass for their size, adding a subwoofer (or two) to the setup really fills out the sound. I see you have a couple of  small subs behind the 626s. After playing around a bit, I settled on a crossover point of 40hz for all my speakers, letting the subs handle the low end. I assume the 626 with only one 6-1/2” woofer will have a crossover point slightly higher.

The only drawback to this speaker line is that they are brutally honest. If there are any flaws in your front end it will come right through. This has caused me to rebuild my system to get the most out of these speakers. With each upgrade the sound quality just got better and better. In the end though, I ended up with a quality of sound I could have never dreamed of owning. Welcome to the VMPS family.

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 24 Dec 2010, 02:24 am »

I left the room after setting up the 626r pair, got them initially set and dialed in, and ran downstairs for a beer. When I came back I found her in the sweet spot. She looked up and said, “These sound really good.” Mind you, she has NEVER said that about another pair of speakers I've brought home besides our Magnepans.

Oh boy, now your gone and infected the little lady.

Maybe you can convince her she caught it from the "listening seat". :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun playing some Christmas and Holiday Music on them :xmas: