I think I have a problem

Brax

I think I have a problem
« on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:18 pm »
I did it again, I bought another set of VMPS speakers. This time it’s a set of RM30Ms and a Larger subwoofer that I am picking up tonight. I really don’t need them now but the plan is to use them in my living room once I build my home theater. My VMPS arsenal now consists of the new Larger Subwoofer, a set of RM2s, RM30Ms and a set of RM40s. This doesn’t include the two huge Avalanche 18” subs I built earlier this year.

I think I am going to pull the RM40s from my system and replace them with the RM30s. This will give me the time to refinish the RM40 cabinets in the ribbon Sapele wood veneer that I used on my subs. Love the look of that veneer.

It will be very interesting to hear what they sound like compared to the RM2s and RM40s. Hell, I should just become a VMPS dealer, I well on my way to having enough stock.

hmen

Re: I think I have a problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2010, 07:01 pm »
  I think I have the same problem.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2010, 08:44 pm »
Yes, it sounds like you have a condition known as VMPS Addiction. (often called VMPSS, or Veritone Minimum Phase Speaker Syndrome)

It is fueled by Testosterone  :weights: and the affinity for High End Musical Reproduction.

It is transmitted through close aural contact with ANY VMPS speaker system.

VMPS owners are often carriers of the condition, even if they display no systems.

There is no known cure, but it can be controlled by very specific treaments.

Contact me, Brian, or your VMPS Dealer for the treatment and the latest new VMPS development. :wink:

12 STEP programs DO NOT WORK for this condition, unless they are 12 BIG STEPS toward your Listening Chair. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2010, 10:48 pm »
Hey Brax, Did you happen to pick them up in Lake Villa, IL?

Brax

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2010, 12:12 am »
Yes, that's the set.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2010, 12:28 am »
I though the description sounded familiar. Joe is a great guy to work with as well. Enjoy your 'additional' VMPS speakers!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2010, 12:45 am »
Brax, welcome to the choir,,, preach away.  :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin (who knows he has a problem)  :eyebrows:

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2010, 01:40 am »
Hmmm... perhaps my "problem" will start Monday when the pair of 626r I just bought arrive... we'll see, this will be my first experience with VMPS speakers. :)

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2010, 03:35 am »
Hmmm... perhaps my "problem" will start Monday when the pair of 626r I just bought arrive... we'll see, this will be my first experience with VMPS speakers. :)

Krikor,

Welcome.  We are all here to help you through these times and don't worry if you close your eyes and start to beleive you have been transported to a LIVE EVENT. :o

THIS IN NOT A HALLUCINATION!!! 

It is entirely normal and can be expected pretty much any time VMPS speakers are playing.

Some say a glass of wine, bottle of beer, or taste of your favorite scotch or whatever may trigger an even deeper, to almost religious experience, but I get the same results with a protein shake. :scratch:

And if you wear glasses, remember to take them off to listen, and if you have any "set up" questions, post them here. 

mjosef

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2010, 03:42 am »
John, when I remove my glasses, my sound gets blurry-er...so I keep them on.  :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:01 am »
John, when I remove my glasses, my sound gets blurry-er...so I keep them on.  :lol:

Hmmmm. . . .

That is unusual :scratch:

Generally the glasses and their flat surface area have a disturbing "resonance".  That is a frequency at which they resonate.  This resonance is then transferred to the bridge of the nose via the "nasal bone".

Since the frontal skull is so dense, these vibrations and the energy they take from the direct soundwaves reduces those subtle but important sonics that pass directly through the orbit and eye helping shape our sonic images.

Without glasses this direct route and the enhancement of the vibrations passing through the Zygomatic Bone and then transmitted via the delicate Zygomatic Arch directly to the ear canal and the External Auditory Meatus are NOT interupted and muffled.  Contacts, reduce this effect dramatically, especially the new lower resonance "soft contacts".  Soft contacts only reduce some of the sonic transmission through the Vitreous Humor, but not much, and have virtually no effect of the transmission through the Aqueous Humor.

I don't know whether to advise you to have your ears checked or your eyes checked???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:11 am »

I should have also asked, is this with eyes "open", or "closed"?

mjosef

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:22 am »
And I might have answered...halfway open or closed.
Actually I should have my eyes checked, its been years.
Thanks for the cranial dissertation. Nice pretty colors.  :thumb:

Now back to the addiction du VMPS.
Me, I have the original sub purchased in the late 80's, and a couple years ago upgraded it with the megawoofer and new pr...also have RM1, 626R, and the vintage Q404.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:31 am »
That's some insightful stuff to know John but disheartening also. How do you expect me to read your informative post (especially when they concern your workout buddy) and listen to my system at the same time. I can't see a lick w/o my specs but I can hear just fine with them on,,,, and I can see too.  :o

Still it's something to think about if I'm ever able to listen to my system w/o either my LCD monitor or my Sony XBR being on also. To date, that's been never and the majority of the time, they are on together, as in now.  8) 

You should see my electric bill,,,,,,,,, but I still have an ultralow telephone bill thanks to you!  :notworthy:

As this topic is about one's problems, I feel that I've stayed on topic spot-on cuz I got a million of them.  :lol:

Martin, I just had an eye exam last weekend and got my upgraded lens mounted on my wireless frames today. Only ran me $585, just for the lens. Yep, another problem.  :duh:  But I can now see a fly's weener,,, barely.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Brax

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:21 pm »
Brian or John,

I see a visual difference in the 6-1/2" woofers between my LRC and the RM30s. The difference is in the phase plug, the LRC has bullet shaped phase plugs while the RM30s have the blunt ended plugs. Are there any differences between the woofers besides the shape of the phase plug?

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:29 pm »
Brian or John,

I see a visual difference in the 6-1/2" woofers between my LRC and the RM30s. The difference is in the phase plug, the LRC has bullet shaped phase plugs while the RM30s have the blunt ended plugs. Are there any differences between the woofers besides the shape of the phase plug?

I've never seen bullet shaped Phase Plugs, so that is a question B can handle. 

Brax

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:40 pm »
Look on the news section of the VMPS home page, there about half way down you see a good picture of them.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:04 pm »

Brax

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:13 pm »
Opnly,

How have you been? You know this is all your fault for selling me the RM40s.

I must say, I enjoy them almost everyday and wouldn't trade them for anything.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:20 pm »
Opnly,

How have you been? You know this is all your fault for selling me the RM40s.

I must say, I enjoy them almost everyday and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Hi Ted,

I'm doing well, thanks, and I've been getting more exercise (speaker merry go round) since I sold them to you.  :duh:

Lin  :D