How do you all clean unfinished veneer?

HT cOz

How do you all clean unfinished veneer?
« on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:15 pm »
I have a bunch of paper back veneer that I am about to start using on my speaker project.  It is very dusty/dirty, how do you all clean your veneer prior to finishing it?

Kind Regards,
Robert

doorman

Re: How do you all clean unfinished veneer?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:28 pm »
Depending on how dirty &c, Try a very light sanding.
Don

turkey

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2010, 07:07 pm »
Steel wool can work well for this kind of thing. If that doesn't so it, you can always try sandpaper.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2010, 07:08 pm »
You say dirty and dusty, if dust try some Dri Tack cloths, the tacky cheesecloth you use after sanding.  I dirt embedded in the grain, try some Murphy's Oil Soap before trying light sanding, which is a last resort thing.  Apply as sparingly as possible, with as little water as possible using a lint free cloth dampened with a diluted mix.  Contrary to popular opinion, a little bit of moisture will not immediately warp wood.  However neither do you want to soak it down with gallons or water.  Rinse with a little bit (again, little bit) of clean water and dry immediately with lint free cloths.  If stained with some residue that Murphy's or light sanding won't fix, you may need to bleach the wood.  Sanding and bleaching are last resort options when you have nothing else to lose.