Ip Man and Ip Man 2.

Folsom

Ip Man and Ip Man 2.
« on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:54 am »
Donnie Yen is very talented but these movies seem rather like either rip offs of Jet Li movies or Jet Li was in movies that ripped them off...

The funny part I have to point out that if you are not aware is that Ip Man himself only taught martial arts in order to feed his opium habit. That is left out of the movies!

FlashPoint is very good martial arts film with Donnie Yen that saves the drawn out scene until the end. Oh and no one can shoot stuff with a scoped rifle out of the air... two minor details.

navi

Re: Ip Man and Ip Man 2.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2010, 03:16 am »
SPL- Donnie yen fights Samo Hung in one of the best fight scenes ever.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2010, 04:21 am »

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:00 am »
I'm a Donnie Yen fan so I look forward to seeing both films! But originality is at the bottom of my list of expectations as far as these films go.

wendell

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2010, 06:26 am »
Enjoyed both films :D

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2010, 04:36 am »
I'm a Donnie Yen fan so I look forward to seeing both films! But originality is at the bottom of my list of expectations as far as these films go.

NEVER watch Dragon Tiger Gate. Ip Man movies are much better than a few movies Donnie Yen was in.

Kenobi

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2011, 10:38 pm »
I enjoyed both the Ip Man films, SPL, Dragon & Tiger's Gate, etc... Exceptional martial arts sequences.  Donnie Yen is great with martial arts films and I haven't seen better recently.

Kenobi

mjosef

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2011, 10:56 pm »
Hey, saw IPman some weeks ago, loved it so much I watched it about 3-4 times, mostly for the fight scenes...the multiple short punch, rapidly applied sorta caught my imagination...perfect way to overwhelm an opponent.
Didn't know there was a IPman2...will have to check that sequel out.

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2011, 11:53 pm »

Agreed, but I still preferred Ip Man I.  I'm not even Caucasian, but the cartoonish portrayal of the "evil white man" thing was way overdone in Ip Man II IMO  :oops:

gundam91

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm »
Just bought the Ip Man 2 DVD to watch over the Christmas time off. It's not too bad. But some scenes reminded me of when Rocky was fighting the Russian guy. Plus, a little too much of the anti-foreigner nationalism tone in the movie. (This seems to be getting popular again these days)

Basically describing the time when Ip Man first arrived in Hong Kong.

There's also a prequel of IpMan that is out, describing the period from he was a young boy to when he became a young man. Many of the actors from IpMan 2 are also in it, except Donnie Yen. IpMan's son also shows up in the film as well. Pretty interesting. My wife, who usually thought these films are poorly done, actually saw this one was done pretty well. Another twist, Samo and Jackie Chan's little kung fu brother (all three of them came from the same theater school) also showed up in this film as Samo's student. He's been doing behind the scene choreography kung-fu scenes for movies for like over 10 - 15 years. But he's now back in front of the camera, I guess.

I think my favorite of Donnie Yan character is still the one in "Hero". He's also in couple of the new movies, and I can see that he is carrying over the exact same fighting style in IpMan.

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2011, 02:05 am »

Just saw both films. That scene was indeed phenomenal. These two films have been Donnie's best performances, elevating them from the generic mold. He needs to do more like that, he's better when he's understated like in Iron Monkey which may be my second favorite performance of his.

dfx

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2011, 09:32 am »
saw both films quite a time ago, nice fighting scenes, makes me wanna learn wing tsun kung fu :p