If you could upgrade your Cornet any way you like...

dangerbird

Re: If you could upgrade your Cornet any way you like...
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jan 2011, 04:12 pm »
Thank you sir,,the sound went from detailed/laid back to detailed/brighter,,I am not complaining though.I'll say it again,this thing can hold its' own with some really big players out there,,it's just so very musical.

dangerbird

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm »
Update,, the soundstage is getting better,, the upper mids and highs are silky smooth,and the detail in just fantastic,I'm hearing things on familar albums that I have never heard before.Joni Mitchell's wavering voice at the end of "Woodstock" is well,, realistic, thats the only way I know how to describe it.This cap recipe is just great.Thanks for posting it,,how did you come up with the mix of caps? You have certainly had some experience with circuits and caps eh?  :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2011, 01:48 am »
I just followed the foot steps of other great Cornet2 experimenters and builders like samplesj, analog97 and tubesforever. Before starting I read every Cornet2 post, took notes and came up with this cap combination. Posts from other builders with similar configurations have convinced me that it doesn't get much better than this, different but not better. Enjoy.

Wayne
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2011, 03:33 am by WGH »

dangerbird

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:14 am »
Looking back at your pic,I see that you used the teflons with the sonicaps too? Same value as the ones with the Mundorfs?

WGH

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:52 pm »
Yes, all the FT-3's are the same value. I never listened to the Cornet2 with just the FT-3/Mondorf combo at C208 so I don't know if the extra bypass caps are really necessary. Bad science on my part.

Read tubesforever post with his bypass cap recommendations:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59696.msg531201#msg531201

Wayne

dangerbird

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:19 pm »
Good read,, I think I'll get a few hundred more hours on the caps,then consider some resistor upgrades. I need to measure the voltage and see just where I am in regards to 6.3.

dangerbird

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:11 pm »
Just an update from the "roller coaster",,right now it's getting much smoother on the top end,,mids are just killer good,,bass has improved,,soundstage and imaging are scary good,,and it appears there is more "air"--I suppose that I have 150 hours or more on them,,I've been using the "burn in" side of the Cardas lp.Those Russian Teflons are sumpthin' else.  :thumb:

Sarchi

« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2011, 12:00 am »
I picked up an original Cornet recently, all built and looking shiny new.  For a great price no less, this guy sounds really good.  I had built a Bugle back in the day and enjoyed it on battery power.  Ah, it's great to be back in tubes.  Speaking of, are the Sovtek LPS the best budget 12AX7 out there?  I swapped them into my amp...these sound really good to me.  I need another pair.

Well as you can see the builder already put Auricaps in the C5/C6 positions.  I think it's fair to say there are better cap choices out there now than 8-10 years ago.  I'm thinking of Sonicaps or Mundorfs to replace the Auricaps.  Any thoughts on the brown MPP's or the smaller PP1's?  I know, this isn't a Cornet2, but I hope someone'll remember.  Jim, maybe.  :icon_lol:

hagtech

« Reply #28 on: 4 Apr 2011, 05:25 am »
That's an original CORNET.  Not built by factory.  Uses 30k pulldowns on output cathode follower instead of CCS.

jh