Crown Amplifiers

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Crown Amplifiers
« on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:21 am »
I've always been interested in Crown amplifiers but have never owned any.
Does anyone here have any experience with them?  I'd be using them for either home theater applications or using them to drive the bass panel section on some Magnepan 3.6s.
Any comparisons with the Class D amps being discussed in the DIY section would be greatly appreciated as well.

turkey

Re: Crown Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:34 pm »
I've always been interested in Crown amplifiers but have never owned any.
Does anyone here have any experience with them?  I'd be using them for either home theater applications or using them to drive the bass panel section on some Magnepan 3.6s.
Any comparisons with the Class D amps being discussed in the DIY section would be greatly appreciated as well.

I owned quite a few of their amps at one time. I've also heard some of their recent models.

I know that they're generally not "audiophile-approved," but I've always found that they performed quite well. I think they'd do quite well for HT or bass.

lanchile

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:17 am »
I owned quite a few of their amps at one time. I've also heard some of their recent models.

I know that they're generally not "audiophile-approved," but I've always found that they performed quite well. I think they'd do quite well for HT or bass.

You are correct turkey! These amps are used for concerts, dj's etc. He can use it for home but, if He is concerned about SOUND QUALITY stay away from these kind of amps. :nono:

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:42 am »
I don't keep up with all the latest & greatest but don't shy away from a CROWN MACRO.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:45 pm »

Which model do you own?  Does it have a noisy fan? 

turkey

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:56 pm »
Which model do you own?  Does it have a noisy fan?

Used to own. I had about 20 of them. The models were D-75, PS-200, PS-400, and PSA-2. The PSA-2 was the only one that had a built-in fan, but it was a very high quality variable-speed one and wasn't noisy at all.

The newer ones that I've heard weren't noticeably noisy either, but it's definitely something worth checking into before purchasing.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:01 pm »
Used to own. I had about 20 of them. The models were D-75, PS-200, PS-400, and PSA-2. The PSA-2 was the only one that had a built-in fan, but it was a very high quality variable-speed one and wasn't noisy at all.

The newer ones that I've heard weren't noticeably noisy either, but it's definitely something worth checking into before purchasing.

WOW!  That's a lot of pro amps.  I'm just debating over class d or pro for my bandpass subs.  I'm leaning towards the new Class D (500wpc) that is coming out in a few weeks.

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:18 pm »
You are correct turkey! These amps are used for concerts, dj's etc. He can use it for home but, if He is concerned about SOUND QUALITY stay away from these kind of amps. :nono:

I've found their sound quality can be quite good. Also, the differences (if any) between amps are meaningless when compared to the differences between recordings, speakers, and listening rooms.

turkey

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:30 pm »
WOW!  That's a lot of pro amps. 

I was in the music biz when I was younger. :)

I'm just debating over class d or pro for my bandpass subs.  I'm leaning towards the new Class D (500wpc) that is coming out in a few weeks.

I think either one would work fine.