AKG 702 Headphones with AVA Insight + Preamp = Marvelous Sound!!!

adydula

• Restricted
I asked Frank if the preamp section in my Insight+ Preamp would drive low impedance headphones like the AKG702. He told me that he uses a set of Grado's which are lower in impedance than the AKG 702s I have.

Well not being a real 'can' guy I have had the desire to get a set of really good headphones, did all the research, just like I did when I found the Salk SongTowers and the journey ended up with the AKG 702's. Accuracy, Tonality, tight accurate not boomy bass etc...led to these absolutley stunning headphones.

I was thinking after spending $270 or so on these that I would have to buy another amp, and external headphone amp. Frank told me to plug them in and try them in the Insight + preamp and I did.

Well from what I am hearing there is no need to buy another amp. The phone amp in this preamp is world class to me!

I have only played one cd, the Salk Demo cd that came with the SongTowers, which I am very familiar with.. OMG...what detail, tonality and what sweet sounds. Sounds that I never have heard except for live performances. Such detail and the tonality of instruments and voices. Norah Jones, Ray Charles, Nils Lofgren, Jennifer Warrens, The Blue Man Group....its really a wonderful marraige between thes cans and the preamp in the Insight +.

These will not replace my SongTowers for sure  but its Audio in a different plane...I can now look forward to rediscovering my cd collection all over again!!

So much music, so little time....

All the best

Thanks Frank for making 'Good Stuff'!!

Alex

:thumb:

galyons

Unless you have several hundred hours of playing through the 702's, they are not yet broken in. If this is the case, and you find the sound already good, (which would be pretty amazing, given most folks experience with them!) just wait until they are broken in.

The mid impedance of the 702's is not the issue.  They are very inefficient and need power to really sound their best.  Generally, simple headphone jacks need not apply. 

Great cans! Hope you get to hear them at their best!

Cheers,
Geary

coke

Take the money you were going to spend on your headphone equipment and buy a new DAC if you haven't done so already.  It will make a big difference.    :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
I dont listen to music on the pc. I play the cds in my upgraded Oppo BD83SE to the pre and to the phones etc...so the dac in the oppo is fine. (ESS Sabre's).

If I were to want to play from a pc then a usb dac etc might be in order.

But for now this is 'to me' the cats meow!!

All the best
Alex

Note: maybe one day Santa will bring me a AVA DAC and then take the optical out etc from the Oppo to the pre etc....its only $$$.

coke

I dont listen to music on the pc. I play the cds in my upgraded Oppo BD83SE to the pre and to the phones etc...so the dac in the oppo is fine. (ESS Sabre's).

If I were to want to play from a pc then a usb dac etc might be in order.

But for now this is 'to me' the cats meow!!

All the best
Alex

Note: maybe one day Santa will bring me a AVA DAC and then take the optical out etc from the Oppo to the pre etc....its only $$$.
I thought you were using a "normal" cd player.  You're probably already aware of the difference a good DAC makes with the Oppo you have. 

I've tried akg 141 studio headphones (got them for $25 :) ) with my Ultra+ preamp.  Very good results with it, but they can't begin to compare to my Salk speakers.  Sounds like I should try a more expensive set though after reading what you  said above.

adydula

• Restricted
coke....

yes very much aware of the dac stuff..lots of headphones guys/gals us them with their pcs etc and thus the usb dac and standalone amp.

having the oppo and even my old Onkyo SR805 AVR with its class AB1 phone amp I have (2) different amps to try with these phones...and they are indeed different sounding...

Playing music via the songtowers is spectacular especially with the Utlravalve amp...it is magical at times.

Comparing to the new phones are so vastly different. Listening to speakers is like being at the concert, listening with phones is like being in the concert on stage etc ....at least to me...I dont know how else to describe the sensation here.

The 702's are very, very accurate, a guitar sounds like a real guitar the harmonics are really well...'real' its a wonderful illusion.

Its just different is a very good way.

Alex