Baffled by Baffles? Get "dBaffled" !!!

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Baffled by Baffles? Get "dBaffled" !!!
« on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:18 pm »
Friends,

After communications with Danny, he has graciously given me permission to post the following information.

I would like to announce that we are now offering enclosure and parts services to the hobbyist loudspeaker market.  Whether your need be that of a simple front baffle or a set of completed enclosures for your project, we can provide virtually any level of assistance.  Anything from an unfinished set of parts to a pair of completed enclosures for any of the GR Research designs are available.  Size is not an issue either, so the larger designs such as the OB-7 and others can easily be accommodated.  We suspect one popular offering will be a "flat pack" kit of machined enclosure parts that you would assemble and finish yourself (or possibly a friend or craftsman in your area).  Rest assured that whatever your needs may be, our 6-ton CNC and other equipment along with our CAD design capabilities can easily meet them.  Please see our website here:

http://www.dbaffled.com/

Although we still manufacture and sell our own Aether Audio products, since I now have a full-time job with NuForce and am deeply involved in that venture, my available time for involvement in speaker production is fairly limited.  Furthermore, my personal need for income from the sales of our own products is now not as it once was when operating under the SP Technology name.  So… that combined with my limited time in the first place, I haven't been as motivated or even able to market our own products to the degree one might otherwise expect.  That's why many of you have not seen much activity in the Aether Audio circle in recent months.

But… the need to cover overhead at our shop remains and so too does the need for work and income regarding my son Jason and partner Tim.  Therefore, "dbaffled" was conceived as a means to keep them working that also minimizes my needed involvement.  Before an Aether Audio speaker goes out the door, I am "the man" that HAS to assemble and tweak every crossover/system.  On the other hand, if that aspect is not required and all our shop does is cut materials, assemble and veneer and/or paint enclosures and/or parts… my involvement is greatly minimized.

The upshot is that considering the above, our facility has far more capacity than what is being utilized, and it would likely remain that way for some time to come if a greater degree of my involvement is required for it to be otherwise.  Therefore, dbaffled has the potential to be the solution to the needs of many.  You guys can get parts or even completed enclosures made for your projects and my shop stays busy.  Danny and you guys get to be the "engineers," testers and final assemblers, and I get to avoid any direct involvement in the "hands on" work.

Also, we'd like to make another announcement.  Danny and I are in the process of "co-engineering" a project that involves the use of my waveguide technology along with his choice of drivers and enclosure design.  We're not going to give you too much detail just yet, but you can rest assured it's gonna "kick butt."  Like all of Danny's other offerings, it will be available in kit form and you can either build everything yourself as in the past, or have dbaffled help in whatever way and at whatever level you prefer.  Of course, at minimum you'll have to purchase the front baffle from us, as it will include the waveguide.  Seeing the waveguide is a proprietary and integral part of the design, it would be virtually impossible for you to duplicate it on your own.  Therefore, this is the only way this kit can be offered.  As we get further along in the process, Danny will update you and as soon as it's available, he'll let you know.

Anyway, in closing I'd like to thank everyone for their time, and please don't hesitate to contact us if there's a chance we can help you with your project.  Thanks again, best wishes for a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year and…

Take care,  :D
-Bob

Contact info: aetheraudio@gmail.com

PS.  Danny... could you "sticky" this for me?

emac

Re: Baffled by Baffles? Get "dBaffled" !!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:34 pm »
Great to hear, Bob!  Glad to hear that you and Danny have a mutually productive arrangement.

Curious about the waveguide project.  Be interested in hearing it when it becomes available.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2010, 05:07 am »
Hi Bob, when do you expect to have some more info available about the waveguide project?

The new dBaffled offerings sound promising.  Thanks!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2010, 05:42 pm »
What are the prices on complete N2X and V-1 cabinets?

When will you have more info on the waveguide?

How can you do all of this without a conflict from one company to the other?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2010, 06:21 pm »
Bob and I have been good friends for five or six years now (something like that), and I am really looking forward to working with him on the new projects and very thankful that my customers can have another good and reliable option for cabinets.

When will you have more info on the waveguide?

I sent Bob some stuff to test with. We'll have to wait and see what rises to the surface as the most ideal. It might be the first wave guided tweeters with open backs for open baffle applications though. I also have other new driver designs in the works to go along with this. So this might get REALLY cool. I even have some new 8" open baffle servo subs in production for these.  :eyebrows:

How can you do all of this without a conflict from one company to the other?

No conflict at all. We are working on something to offer that is interdependent on each other. My new design will require his wave guide and front baffle as a minimum. And he can also offer a complete flat pack of the cabinet to a fully completed cabinet.

Plus his offer of cabinets or baffles to my customers not only makes him money but the cabinet options open up the purchase of my kits to people that may have wanted some of our speakers but don't want to or don't have the ability to build their own enclosures. It's a win win for us both.

tubesguy2

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2010, 11:21 pm »

Link goes to a notice that the site has been hacked.  :x

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2010, 11:27 pm »
Link goes to a notice that the site has been hacked.  :x

Dang! No kidding man, the site has been hacked.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2010, 12:21 am »
 I think this is great, but you need to change the subject to give someone a clue what its about. Maybe "NEW ENCLOSURE/FLAT PACK SOURCE: Baffled by Baffles?  Get "dBaffled" !!! ".  or something like that.

[I totally overlooked this thread because the title didn't have any indication what this was!  I thought it was going to be some kind of spam post...]

-Tony

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2010, 03:34 am »
Bob,
   Are you going to have price lists for the flat packs? It is always easier to recommend someone when they can see a price list instead of having to ask for a quote.

Don

jfreeman373

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2010, 11:48 am »
The site has been successfully "UN-hacked". When I track down that IP.....UGH !

saisunil

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2010, 03:18 pm »
I even have some new 8" open baffle servo subs in production for these.  :eyebrows:

That is what I would be interested in - small, fast and musical subs - a sub that can go comfortably to ~30 Hz

Good Luck

tubesguy2

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:08 pm »
The site has been successfully "UN-hacked". When I track down that IP.....UGH !

Hmm, not from where I'm sitting. Must say the d*ckwad hacker seems to be making his hacks appear somewhat threatening, too.

jfreeman373

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:33 pm »
Well, back up "FOR NOW" ! :evil:

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:28 am »
Plus his offer of cabinets or baffles to my customers not only makes him money but the cabinet options open up the purchase of my kits to people that may have wanted some of our speakers but don't want to or don't have the ability to build their own enclosures. It's a win win for us both.

So now that the website is up and I read more about it, I have some questions. Sorry if I should have just emailed this to them direct, but since its about GR Research products I thought it was ok to post.

-Thinking through the pricing format. Would there be the standard GR Research kit designs offered as flatpacks at a set price? Or wouldn't someone just be waiting for someone else to have to "go first" on each model and pay for the programming/setup fees? Then everyone else piggybacks off of those programs for a lower price?

In addition to the wood veneer and paint finishing, what about a wilsonart laminate option?  I remember someone covered his sealed servo subs with Gloss black laminate, that looked good from the pictures, and think it would hold up well too.

For example I am interested in some dual driver ob servo sub enclosures, personally. That seems pretty straightforward - a 11 inch hole in 2 panels with angled ends and just some rectangles for everything else.

-Tony

jfreeman373

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:09 pm »
As of this moment in time there are no GR Research kits programmed or ready to go as flat pack kits. As this is a new arrangement, things still need to get ironed out about how we will proceed. Pricing on the website is an overall pricing stucture with "individual" designs in mind. one-ups per say. Whether it's a GR-Research design, or an independant design or even another companies design. Basically we will make cabinets and/or parts for just about anyone for just about anything. Everything can be considered a protoype at this point in time.

For designs that already have drawings done, programming time is not much of an issue. Designs from scratch are another issue which ends up being about twice the time involved to one that is "ready to go".

I can not say for certain, but my idea is that GR- Research should have an idea which kits are the most popular sellers for them, in that they can decide which kits to get started with first. If that is the case, we will provide them with the kits that they can sell along side their current products. With this in mind they will then be able to offer complete ready to go kits for their customers. Over time the offerings will continue to grow as more and more kits become programmed and the prices become more "fixed". We do not have the resources to invest in programming multitudes of designs, with the idea that we may get an order for one someday. As such, designs will get programmed in the order that the orders are received.

The customers desire for a complete kit or completed package have allot to do with things. It make sense that many of the sales should be directed to Danny, which in turn he then sends us orders for the various options that are required by his customers for his kits.  Of course if there is a design that GR Research doesn't offer, or the customer is desiring something custom, they can deal directly with Bob or I.

As far as the wilson-art laminate is concerned, I have worked with it before. I am not aware of current pricing, as Bob takes care of  purchasing and I take care of the construction end.  Pretty much anything a customer wants to do can be done, of course material prices will have to be taken into consideration. With so many options available, it is almost impossible to come up with set prices. Either you can limit options and set prices, or you can have limitless options with variable prices. As each customer's desires are different, it makes more sense to keep "options open", especially since material prices vary greatly over time. Even if we were able to make an all inclusive price list, many customers would get bogged down and confused with all the options on the price list and end up more confused than informed. So it makes things much simpler for the customer to just let us know what it is they want and we can go from there.

A simple sub like you were saying sounds pretty simple, probably 1 hr programming time.  If it's a cube you basically have 2 parts to program, maybe three if there is internal bracing. Real simple. Plus assembly  and lamination time. 2-3 hrs a cabinet tops, plus materials. Heck if I played my cards right I could pre-laminate it and design it as a fold-up cabinet. Would have to run a test first to see. Real short assembly time there. I hope this helps.

Jason

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:05 pm »
It make sense that many of the sales should be directed to Danny, which in turn he then sends us orders for the various options that are required by his customers for his kits.

Actually I would rather my customers deal directly with you on their order. I have learned that it is better that I only offer or sale what I have direct control over regarding delivery. And there is no need for a middle man. I am just happy that my customers have another good reliable option for cabinets.

Also, if a customer is interested in cabinets for a certain kit, then just go to that kit page on my site and scroll to the bottom. There you will find a .pdf file of the cabinet plans.

I have found that the more expensive the kit, the less likely people are to want to build their own cabinets. So you may not get as many people interested in the smaller and easier to build kits.

jfreeman373

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:53 pm »
Actually I would rather my customers deal directly with you on their order. I have learned that it is better that I only offer or sale what I have direct control over regarding delivery. And there is no need for a middle man. I am just happy that my customers have another good reliable option for cabinets.

Oh, OK. Works for me. I was mistaken in my assumptions.

I have found that the more expensive the kit, the less likely people are to want to build their own cabinets. So you may not get as many people interested in the smaller and easier to build kits.

Quite understandable... :wink:

Well, I guess if there are any suggestions from people on which kits they would like to see and would be the best to get started on, I can go from there. If there are a few people that would like to order the same kit simultaneously, we can amortize the programming costs among them. Early adopters will pay a little more, but people further down the line will probably see about the same costs in the end as MDF prices and such keep going up over time. It' pretty much a wash either way. As I said before, kits with plans are relatively simple to program. If there are CAD files.....it's basically a matter of minutes per part.

After a kit is completed then we will just "add it to the list" of available kits. When I get "spare" time, I guess I can just pick a kit here and there and get them programmed upfront. It may be some time before many of the kits are available without specific customer interest though, as I do still build cabinets for Aether Audio and Nuforce on the side. That being said, sales and customer interest are the biggest motivating factors for sure. :green:

HT cOz

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2010, 06:16 pm »
I think the AV1-RS is slam dunk as it is the only surround offered by Danny!  :thumb:

dvenardos

« Reply #18 on: 16 Dec 2010, 04:32 am »
And I am guessing N2X, N3, and N3S.

I think the AV1-RS is slam dunk as it is the only surround offered by Danny!  :thumb:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2010, 03:27 am »
Email sent to the contact link listed on the dBaffled site.  Thanks for the link!