Suggestions on a $1k turntable

jglim0109

Suggestions on a $1k turntable
« on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:40 pm »
I saw the under $2k thread below and wanted some opinions for those under $1k. I'm thinking about buying my first turntable and have read quite a few discussions here. How significantly better are the $800-$1000 tables compared to the entry-level $500 ones (i.e. Rega P3-24 vs. RP1, etc.)?

I've heard good things about these:

Rega P3-24
Music Hall MMF 5.1
Pro-Ject Xpression III
Technics SL-1200MK (even though it's discontinued)

Any major differences between these? Other ones to check out? Is it worth the extra $400 to go from the entry-level models to those above? I listen to mostly rock music, new and old. Not much classical/jazz if that helps.

Thanks.

Wayner

Re: Suggestions on a $1k turntable
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2010, 04:18 pm »
Awhile ago, I did a search for the best under $500 table. I actually bought 5 of them and evaluated them. They were: Music Hall USB-1, Project Debut III, Stanton ST-150, Audio Technica AT-LP240-USB and Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB.

In the end, the AT-LP120-USB was easily the winner. It does have a flaw that can be overcome if you understand some physics, and that is to repair the anti-skating, which barely works if at all. I kept this table as it certainly amazes me, especially considering  the price. I have contacted AT about the problem and they are looking into it as we speak.

Unfortunately, the Technics SL1200MKII is now out of production and I have seen it sell for about $1000, but there are not many new ones left, and you would have to probably take your chances on eBay, tho Kevin at www.KABUSA.com did have a couple of silver ones left awhile ago. The Technics DD is the best table for under $1000, especially with my newly discovered tweak.

Wayner  :D

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2010, 05:56 pm »
Any of the tables you listed will do well.
The Rega has a fanbase, so does the Technics.
For 100% rock, either one will do.
I would personally have a preference for the Rega, as I already own a Rega P5 with the extra power supply, and a Benz Glider. (but i listen to a lot of chamber Classical, and small group Jazz)
The level of sound quality of the Rega P3-24 will do best with a good cart/phono section. So you should budget an amount equal or more for those two things to the amount you pay for the TT itself. (I would go for a $500 to $700 cart on the P3-24, and at least a $1K new price, phono, used would do fine for the phono.)
Realize the Rega has a superior arm, one that is used on other brands more expensive tables, and the Rega 3-24 is more refined, but a little flimsier. The Technics has an 'old fashioned' arm, though the Technics has more 'bells and whistles' like strobe, auto arm lift..and sturdier build, less subtle quality.
I do not know much about the other two TTs personally.
As for the Rega P1.. better off buying a used, better TT, for the money. The Rega is a decent 'entry' TT. But would have less resale value, and if you like spinning vinyl at all, you will soon want something better.

BPoletti

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:30 pm »
I might suggest looking around for a used VPI Scout.  Seen quite a few on Audiogon for $1K and under.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:17 pm »
I've owned a Rega P3 and it is a nice table. The Technics has been in production for for a long time, and it was designed by some of the best minds in Japan at the time. I really wouldn't call the arm old fashioned. It has VTA on the fly, It's anti-skating works really well and the table is very heavy. The DD motor is stronger then the Rega, but the Rega is adequate. A minus for the Rega is the glass platter, which I think rings and the plastic sub-platter. The good news is that there are upgrade parts for this (acrylic platter, die-cast metal sub-platter) and even drop counterweights for the arm. The Rega queing is one of the best out  there and it's fun to watch the arm ever so slowly drop.

Each has plus and minus attributes.

Wayner

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:22 pm »
The good news here is that you can't go horribly wrong no matter what you choose.  Do you by chance have a good local used hifi shop?  That might give you a better chance at getting something really good used for $1000, rather than taking a chance on shipping from an unknown person.

But any of the choices on your list will be a great place to start your vinyl journey.

The biggest question would be how much do you like to fiddle with gear?  If you are more of a set it and forget it guy, I'd suggest leaning more towards the Rega.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:33 pm »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:17 pm »
I saw the under $2k thread below and wanted some opinions for those under $1k. I'm thinking about buying my first turntable and have read quite a few discussions here. How significantly better are the $800-$1000 tables compared to the entry-level $500 ones (i.e. Rega P3-24 vs. RP1, etc.)?

Rega P3-24
Music Hall MMF 5.1
Pro-Ject Xpression III

Any major differences between these? Other ones to check out? Is it worth the extra $400 to go from the entry-level models to those above? I listen to mostly rock music, new and old. Not much classical/jazz if that helps.

Thanks.

Technics might change versions; but, it will never be discontinued.

I'm partial to Project myself...

mchuckp

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:47 pm »
I've been using a Rega P1 with a glass platter upgrade and an Ortofon 2M Blue cart for the last few years.  Been getting the itch to upgrade but not break the bank.  Anyone have any opinion on if I should just put a lot of money towards a cart or actually get a new table?  Depending on what I spend on a table, I'd probably still upgrade to a higher caliber cart, but likely not until a bit later.

Been toying with staying with Rega and getting a P3/24 and adding the external power supply some time down the road.  Is the P3 really that much better than the P1?  I kind of lean towards Rega just because I don't want to mess with fussing with settings too much.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  My assumption is that I'd spend about $1K total at most.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:49 pm »
Technics might change versions; but, it will never be discontinued.

I'm partial to Project myself...

FYI, all Technics turntables are out of production. There will be no more made. I saved a copy of the announcement somewhere, if I find it, I will post it.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:53 pm »
I've been using a Rega P1 with a glass platter upgrade and an Ortofon 2M Blue cart for the last few years.  Been getting the itch to upgrade but not break the bank.  Anyone have any opinion on if I should just put a lot of money towards a cart or actually get a new table?  Depending on what I spend on a table, I'd probably still upgrade to a higher caliber cart, but likely not until a bit later.

Been toying with staying with Rega and getting a P3/24 and adding the external power supply some time down the road.  Is the P3 really that much better than the P1?  I kind of lean towards Rega just because I don't want to mess with fussing with settings too much.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  My assumption is that I'd spend about $1K total at most.

The P3-24 has a better arm then the P1 (now out of production). It also has a glass platter and plastic sub-platter, but I'm pretty sure your upgrade parts for the p1 will work on the P3-24.

I think that would be a great step upward for you since you already have the Rega bug. I love the RB-301/300 arm, tho I like the older RB-300 because of it's single hole mounting.

Wayner

jglim0109

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2011, 03:43 am »
I think I've decided on the P3-24. I know it comes with the Elys 2 cartridge for $200. Are there any better cartridges at that price? I may upgrade to a better one down the road, but for now, I don't wanna drop any more than that.

Thanks.

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm »
I think you can do better for less. I have an Audio Technica AT440MLa on my RB300 and they are very happy together. I think you can get one of these for $99 from www.amazon.com. Others have them from $144 (www.lpgear.com) to $199. Some also like the M series Ortofon.

Wayner

jrtrent

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2011, 05:01 pm »
I think I've decided on the P3-24.

Excellent choice!  As to cartridge, I haven't heard anything I like better than the Elys 2.  Reducing information loss is part of Rega's turntable and tonearm design; e.g., there is no removable headshell or tonearm wand and thus no joint where mechanical slop can reduce the system's ability to extract musical information from the groove.  The Elys 2 continues this with a one-piece body, machined flat mounting face, and three-bolt fixing for a more sucure fit to the headshell, and no removable stylus.  Rega even uses a special torque wrench to ensure optimum tightness of the mounting hardware.  Rhythmic integrity, dynamics, and resolution are all as good as it gets at this price point.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2011, 05:33 pm »
I think I've decided on the P3-24. I know it comes with the Elys 2 cartridge for $200. Are there any better cartridges at that price? I may upgrade to a better one down the road, but for now, I don't wanna drop any more than that.

Thanks.

The Denon DL-110 is the rare breed of cartridge that is almost universally liked.  Many never move on from it as it hits such a high standard for such an attractive price.

USD$139.00 any place you look (www.needledoctor.com carries it)

I have the DL-160vdH (the recently discontinued slightly better older brother with a new van den Hul stylus) and while I'm not much of a fan of moving coils.....this baby is terrific (as have been the two other Denon's I've experienced myself)

Seriously a contender that punches MUCH higher than its price suggests here. Great tracking, reliable treble extension, fair bass, and as natural a sound as any moving coil cartridge has a right to for under $500.

John

mike1964

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2011, 02:34 pm »
I have a Rega Planar 25 that I'd let go, shipped it will be well under your budget, giving you funds for a nicer cartridge or upgrades for the Rega itself that help it outperform more expensive tables.

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2011, 02:52 pm »

Rega P3-24
Music Hall MMF 5.1
Pro-Ject Xpression III

Thanks.

Or a very nice re-habbed/modified AR table with Linn arm.  Walnut plinth, lacewood armboard.

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2011, 03:37 pm »
P3-24 owner w/ the Denon DL-160....based largely on rec's from the guys here, as I knew next to zero on vinyl before. (though I did by a Thorens DD-165 w/ a Shure V15 when I was 15, my first audio purchase, but I never learned how to set it up, tweak it, etc)

anyway...I like it...a lot. smooth response. good detail. very quiet. (I remember vinyl surface noise, but it's largely a non issue here) plus it BOOGIES! This combo gets the PRAT thing right.

Downside. I think the soundstage is smaller than my very good digital rig, especially in depth. Not sure if I need more cartridge aligment tweaking, or throw some Groovetracer mods at the deck.

In my limited experience, I think you must factor in brass points under the deck, going into a maple plank. (I use Mapleshade products, but others may work) IMHO, the Rega feet are it's weak link. Putting the the deck directly on my DIY Flexi rack, leads to the ugly low end feedback. But maybe that just that rack and YMMV.

If I had money to piss away, I'd probably go w/ a VPI Classic (actually always lusted after the classic Linn LP-12) But I think this skinny little Rega w/ the Denon is a ton of fun for the money.

cheers mate.

drphoto

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2011, 03:54 pm »
Just as to a follow up, I haven't listened to vinyl in a couple of months. I've been working so much, I just haven't had the energy to do much at home besides needed chores and sleep.

But last night I fired up the mighty Rega, and you know what? I was blown away. I stand by all of my above comments, but will add that it sounds utterly sweet and non fatiguing. But not at the expense of suppresing details. Again, I'm astonshed by the lack of surface noise. and when there is some, it just doesn't intrude. Gone of the days of 'rice crispies' I remember from my old deck.

I do have to adjust the settings on my subs from when I run a digital source, but I still get plenty of slam and low end power. (on digital, I somewhat boost the low mids, w/ analog, I have to notch the very bottom end)

It does still suffer from a somewhat 2 dimensional soundstage, but maybe that's what you give up at this price point. But other wise it is utterly musical. And I was playing standard issue, used records, not some contrived audiophile pressings.

I can't compare my deck to others, as I've not heard anything else analog in years, but this combo sounds really good, provided you get the brass cones and a maple plank under it.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.  But isn't the future of audio playback based on computer hard drives?  :scratch:

Wasatch

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2011, 05:24 am »
The Rega P3-24 with a Dynavector 10x5 would be a very nice setup.