Questions about Icon-2 linestage

OPTIMUS PRIME

Questions about Icon-2 linestage
« on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:09 am »
I am interesting in purchasing the Icon2 but have a few questions first.

I would like to use it to power my axiom M3v3 bookshelf speakers(no sub), but also as a preamp for my floor standing speakers with existing amp(not integrated), and also as a headphone amp.

1) I plan on connecting the linestage to my existing amp(not integrated). I assume that since the linestage can be used for a sub, it is affected by the volume and does not act as a line out that remains at a constant level. This would mean that the Icon volume controls would work and I wouldn’t need to incorporate my existing preamp. Is this correct?

2)I plan on powering my M3v3 bookshelf speakers(no sub) with the Icon2. If they are connected as well my amp with the linestage, as explained above, will music be played through all speakers at the same time, or is there a way to switch between the two sources?

3)depending on the answers to my above questions i may have to use the headphone jack to connect my existing amp. When connected, the bookshelf speakers would be cut off. This is good because I will never need bookshelf speakers and floor standing speakers at the same time. Is the headphone jack designed specific for headphones or is it fine to connect it straight to my amp?

4)In the Icon2 manual is says:
IMPORTANT! If you intend to employ the Icon-2 as a preamp without speakers having been connected,
use the Headphone Output on the front panel instead of Line Out on the back panel. Using Line Out without speaker connection could damage an internal filter.

Speakers connected to Where? The Icons amp or the amp connected to lineout/linestage?

Thanks for any help

OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Questions about Icon-2 linestage
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2010, 09:54 pm »
Never mind. I ordered a Matrix mini-i instead. It does everything i need.

OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Questions about Icon-2 linestage
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2010, 12:06 am »
Just ordered a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC paired with Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier. Was thinking about the IconHDP paired with the Icon2.