Power supply for turntable

cmscott6

« on: 12 Mar 2004, 02:29 pm »
I just purchased a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable.  It's great, but not being able to leave well enough alone, I continue to be bothered by the wall-wart plug-in transformer that powers it.  I'm tempted to build a power supply just because I know from experience that these wall jobbies tend to overheat, fail, and, occasionally, cause fires.  

I'm also wondering if there would be any effect on the sound/performance of the turntable?  I see some people offer power supply upgrades for Regas and other turntables.  Yes, part of this is also that I have no DIY projects on the table right now... 8)

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2004, 02:38 pm »
I'm sure you could make one very easily and it wouldn't surprise me if you got some added performance.  Another thing I have been contemplating is getting a OneAC isolation transformer for the table PS.  Idea is to keep the PS on as constant a power stream as possible.  But I am not sure if that would be the best way to do it.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2004, 08:29 pm »
i picked up a mondo lab-grade hewlett-packard power-supply for my oracle on ebay, for ~$100...  these things normally retail for ~$1200.  rated for something like 0-20v adjustable, 0-4a adjustable.  made a worthwhile improvement over the stock p/s that comes with the origin-live dc motor kit.  likely an upgrade over their spendy p/s as well...   :wink:  lotsa this kinda stuff can be found on ebay.

doug s.

beat

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2004, 03:23 pm »
I picked up a realy stable, fully adjustable jobby for 15 from the local surplus store to power mine. I'm sure it isnt as nice as dougs but it is plenty solid and really stable. If you want I could see if they have more. (I'm over there all the time) What size do you need?

cmscott6

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2004, 12:47 am »
Hmm.  It looks like the transformer just steps down to 15VAC, 550mW.  For some reason I thought it was a DC motor in the TT.  Thanks for the offer, Beat, but maybe I should rethink this idea.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2004, 01:43 am »
Quote from: cmscott6
Hmm.  It looks like the transformer just steps down to 15VAC, 550mW.  For some reason I thought it was a DC motor in the TT.  Thanks for the offer, Beat, but maybe I should rethink this idea.

i'm sure if ya look around, ya can find a mondo p/s for vac as well as vdc...

doug s.