D'oh! Just ordered another knife...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
D'oh! Just ordered another knife...
« on: 10 Dec 2010, 04:23 am »
You guys may remember that I just picked up a 300mm sujihiki a week or so ago...

Well, I just found out that ChefKnivesToGo.com is running a sale on all their Tojiro DP knives. Apparently Mark found out I still have a few dollars in my checking account, and he can't abide that!  :jester: At any rate I've been eyeballin' the Tojiro DP 150mm Gokujo Boning knife for awhile- well, today it's $20 off the normal price of $99.95, so I had to go for it! This Gokujo is one of the very few Japanese-made equivalents of a Western boning knife, a staple of my kit. And the Tojiro is a much better deal than the Shun or Kasumi versions I've found.

A pic:

This will be the 4th Tojiro for my work knife case! Even though I've got more expensive ones it's hard to beat them for money. About the only ones I'll still need is the bread knife when it's finally out and maybe the Honesuki.  I'm not sure how long the sale will last but anyone considering the purchase of a Tojiro DP better jump on this! :thumb:

gonefishin

Re: D'oh! Just ordered another knife...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:01 am »
   Oh....that sure looks like a fine collection you've got!  I was hoping to get my sujihiki this year, but I got a few surprises for the kids that they weren't expecting. 

nice!

dan

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:42 am »
Any good Japanese paring knives you could recommend?  Or a serrated Japanese knife between 6 and 8 inches?

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2010, 12:39 am »
Hey!

Rob, look like you are on the roll here. Let's us know how is work when you get it. :D

I just checked out the site, the Tojiro's 240mm Sujihiki for 69.95. Hmmm... tempting.  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2010, 04:32 am »
Any good Japanese paring knives you could recommend?  Or a serrated Japanese knife between 6 and 8 inches?

Well, I'm not really a big fan of Shun but their Classic paring knife is about the best I've seen.  I will admit right off though that I rarely use a paring knife, and instead of a good one I have half a dozen $4 "disposables" in my work case.  There are a few serrated J-knives of that length but of the top of my head I can only think of a 6" serrated Shun Classic and a 210mm/8" Tojiro one that they call a bread knife, although it's more like a tomato/fruit knife.  Here's a pic of the Tojiro.

What do you plan to cut with it?  I use serrated knives very little.  I do have a couple of pretty decent bread knives but I use a gyuto for most stuff.  About the only time I use the bread knife is one really crusty stuff like French batard, stuff that's hard enough to potentially chip a thin gyuto edge.  Normal bread, buns, hoagies, cakes, etc I just cut with my gyuto.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2010, 04:41 am »
BTW, I do have a bit more use for a "petty," basically the next step up size-wise from a paring knife.  There are quite a few good petties, and a few that I would definitely recommend.  The Shun Classic is good.  I carry an Hattori HD 150mm petty that I really like.  The suminigashi Kanetsune is pretty sweet, too.