Just picked up XTC NONSUCH for.................

Wayner

Just picked up XTC NONSUCH for.................
« on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:48 am »
I must be insane, but it cost me $104.00. Am I nuts or losing it? Why do we spend so much on vinyl?

Wayner

Listens2tubes

Re: Just picked up XTC NONSUCH for.................
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:52 am »
What makes it that desirable? Asks the guy that spent 100 bucks on a tape of the 1812 overture. :duh:

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:00 am »
Yes, Wayner. You have the disease. Ain't it wonderful? I thought I was crazy to spend 50 on Music From Big Pink on MoFi!

I did get a Fly double record Procol Harum compilation from Holland today. 28 bucks. Covers albums 1-4.
And the Stones first box for 231 shipped.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:16 am »
Oh, hope it's an import!

Paul

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:23 am »
One of my faves.  Didn't know that record was so expensive!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:43 am »
This will give you satisfaction for many years. I've spent more than that on rare Laserdisc concerts and never felt crazy for doing so. Now, my wife on the other hand thinks I'm a complete loon  :| 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:51 am »
I'll be the lone dissenter I guess.  $50 is about my ceiling for any one piece of vinyl, and that's on the very high side, of course box sets not included in this limit.  There's just nothing I care that much about listening to that will make me spend that much.  But on the other side, I wouldn't accuse you of losing it, if the value received matches what you spent, go for it.  Do you think you're going to get $104 of enjoyment out of it, say compared to a ball game, or a concert for the same price?  I assume the answer is yes, so enjoy, fagetaboutit.   

analognut

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:59 am »
Yes Wayner, you are insane.  I usually just go on Ebay and search for an artist with the words "sealed LP" at the end when I get that itch. I look around for sellers with great f/b, low prices, lots of sales, low shipping rates, etc, and then I save the seller. There doesn't seem to be any end to the number of people out there selling new sealed LPs. I don't know how many great records I got that way last year for around 5 bucks each!  :)

P.S.
Has anyone ever heard Upendo ni Pamoja by the Ramsey Lewis Trio? I got one the Ebay way last year and the sound of that LP is incredible. Actually, "stunning" would be a more fitting description. Everything is right up front, in your face, so to speak. All of the percussion is so sweet-sounding, the bass is amazing. My copy is just a typical Columbia red label #KC 31096 from 1972.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2010, 08:14 am »
This record is extremely rare and it is an import from UK. I've been trying to get a copy for over a year and the price has always been sky high. This one was mint and I put a $101 limit on it, and sure as hell some dope bid it up to $100. $4 for shipping was certainly a good price.

This album pretty much completes my XTC collection, tho I am thinking about the Dukes of the Stratosphere stuff and that is another story. My Paypal funds are drained.

Oh well.

Wayner

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:35 am »
Wayner...

I almost thought I was listening to XTC....check this group out...Field Music.

They do have some vinyl ...... :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Music/e/B00197KAPI/works/ref=ep_artist_tab_w

A few vids...from their newest album..."Field Music (Measure)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ELwolLkAKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqAQJYmVWVs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEkiZd_qv44

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:49 am »
Its a sickness Wink2

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:36 pm »
Wayner...

I almost thought I was listening to XTC....check this group out...Field Music.

I can't believe it! I just posted their new album in the Music Circle as one of my top 3 this year and I resisted to write that it had WAYNER written all over it!

I didn't check your YouTube links yet but I would start off from a prior record with "You're Not Supposed To." Infectious stuff. Plus, all three of my kids crave it. I saw "them" in Chicago a couple years ago when The Week That Was came through America. That was one of the brothers' "groups" which really consisted of Field Music doing a side project. Absolutely tight, well-crafted and performed. They did some Field Music stuff at the end. Alas, I think I missed them twice already since.

Paul

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2011, 02:51 pm »
Nice!

I realize this post is oldish, but....................

I'm a huge XTC fan, and love Field Music as well as the FM affiliated bands School of Language, and The Week That Was.

Anyway just ordered a new TT (Clearaudio Concept / MC cartridge) and to break it in I bought the new deluxe version of the Skylarking remaster.  Word is, it sounds amazing!
http://ape.uk.net/acatalog/XTC.html

Yeah...XTC, new TT and being new member of the forum, I got excited at the mention of XTC when having a look around.  So just thought I'd chime in.

Best,
Eric

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2011, 04:15 pm »
Nice!

I realize this post is oldish, but....................

I'm a huge XTC fan, and love Field Music as well as the FM affiliated bands School of Language, and The Week That Was.

Anyway just ordered a new TT (Clearaudio Concept / MC cartridge) and to break it in I bought the new deluxe version of the Skylarking remaster.  Word is, it sounds amazing!
http://ape.uk.net/acatalog/XTC.html

Yeah...XTC, new TT and being new member of the forum, I got excited at the mention of XTC when having a look around.  So just thought I'd chime in.

Best,
Eric

I ordered two copies of XTC yesterday from Amazon, two Amazon-associated vendors, actually, because
1. I could find no "add to shopping cart" button on the Ape website and I was not anxious to order from England anyway if I didn't have to
2. The regular Amazon ordering process implied out of stock and would take 1-2 weeks for the regular double and 1-2 months for the "box" album. These albums are listed as "in stock" so I have my fingers crossed. Sometimes I think it's gonna go out of print and I'll be looking at even more megabucks to get it later!

Field Music is great, my kids (teenagers to 21 yrs old) love them as well. My oldest daughter and I saw The Week That Was in Chicago a couple of years back and unfortunately I've missed Field Music twice since. Hard for me to go to concerts because I'm 3 hrs from Detroit and 6 hrs from Chicago, so weekends are a "must."

In fact, when The Week That Was came out, I tried to order the LP and it was "instantly" sold out!

Welcome to AC. Are you really in Rwanda? You must have some goooood Java there! :icon_lol:

Paul

E4T

• drummer, specialty coffee, music obsessed
« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2011, 06:46 pm »
I ordered two copies of XTC yesterday from Amazon, two Amazon-associated vendors, actually, because
1. I could find no "add to shopping cart" button on the Ape website and I was not anxious to order from England anyway if I didn't have to
2. The regular Amazon ordering process implied out of stock and would take 1-2 weeks for the regular double and 1-2 months for the "box" album. These albums are listed as "in stock" so I have my fingers crossed. Sometimes I think it's gonna go out of print and I'll be looking at even more megabucks to get it later!

Field Music is great, my kids (teenagers to 21 yrs old) love them as well. My oldest daughter and I saw The Week That Was in Chicago a couple of years back and unfortunately I've missed Field Music twice since. Hard for me to go to concerts because I'm 3 hrs from Detroit and 6 hrs from Chicago, so weekends are a "must."

In fact, when The Week That Was came out, I tried to order the LP and it was "instantly" sold out!

Welcome to AC. Are you really in Rwanda? You must have some goooood Java there! :icon_lol:

Paul

Yeah, I actually ordered from Ape.  The site was a bit weird to navigate, but I stumbled on it there and just went for it.  Which may be ridiculous, because YES I am living in Kigali, Rwanda but my mail is sent to the US and then here.  Hmmm....UK to the States then to Rwanda.  A little nuts, but ironically I'll get it much faster that way.

Would love to see Field Music live.  Love all their stuff, but Measure was a highlight.  My kids (8 and 5) love Field Music too!  Must be something there. Cool that you were able to see TWTW live.  I've been here 3 years now, and although I get back to the States a couple of times a year, I don't make it much to shows.

Rwanda has killer coffee!  BUT....like all coffee coffee origins, the good stuff is sold and exported....which is part of what I try to make happen here.

Your near Chicago!  Buy some Rwandan beans from Intelligentsia.  They buy some of Rwanda's very best, pay farmer's great prices here and are an amazing roaster.  Don't get me started on coffee!  It's what I do and I could go on for days.

So, here's to hoping you get your copies of Skylarking soon.  Cannot wait to get my copy....and the new table of course!

hifitommy

"Has anyone ever heard Upendo ni Pamoja"
« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:05 pm »
yeah Anut, its one of my faves.  atiypical ramsey to say the least.  slippin' into darkness, one of my old standbys from WAR is excellent, and the bass on this album is fantastic all the way through. 

on kkjz once the dj was taking requests and i called it in from the car.  he found it in their library and played it before i got home! 

a friend of mine is hesitant to buy it because of the lukewarm review in AMG.  so much for reviews!  he is missing out because of it.