New Summit X Review in TAS - Better than any dynamic speaker under $40K

audioseduction

When you get your hands on the TAS magazine vol. 209, look on pages 112-116 to find a very favorable review on the Summit X.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
If your headline is really what they said, I will definitely be canceling my subscription. 

What a joke!!!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Time to cancel your suscription, then, as they seemed to like it:

"I can't think of a box speaker under $40K I would rather live with".

TONEPUB

I love Martin Logans, but I can think of about six $40k cone speakers I'd rather live with.  That being said, I do really like the Summit X and did enjoy them when they were here for review about two years ago.

I don't know if there are a ton of $14k (the price of the Summit X) cone speakers I'd rather have than the Summit X, but I've got a room pretty suited to panels and amplification that seems to work very well with them.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

THIS is what it's about though...forget about all the other stuff.  I'm done with TAS and will gladly read TONE for FREE.

sts9fan

Same crap one just happens to be free.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Play nice, gentlemen. 
14K is out of my price range unless some rich old gal takes a shine to me.
So far, that hasn't happened but tomorrow is another day.

twitch54

I love Martin Logans, but I can think of about six $40k cone speakers I'd rather live with.

I'll buy into that................

I don't know if there are a ton of $14k (the price of the Summit X) cone speakers I'd rather have than the Summit X

Given that there are but 'six 40k' speakers that you would pick over the Summit X I would suspect there would be no where's near a 'ton' to pick from in the 14k range.............maybe a 'pound or two' !

TONEPUB

Well, believe it or not, 10-20k has become a pretty "normal" price for a pair of great speakers these days...  To clarify, I didn't mean there were a ton of $14k speakers I would pick, just that there are quite a few good speakers in the $14k range.

I can think of about 30 really good $14k speakers that I've heard and I think the Summit X really stands up, but it's not the speaker for everyone.  They definitely are somewhat amplifier sensitive and room placement sensitive as well. And there's probably another 30 speakers at this price that I still haven't heard, so that's quite a few in my book.

Though I can see, even with a planar speaker how one person might prefer a pair of the big Sound Labs or the Magnepan 20.1's at this price.

I think making a blanket statement like that is somewhat limiting.  And it is definitely dependent on the kind of music you like.  The Summit X definitely does a better job at playing heavy rock than any other panel I've heard, they still fall short playing that kind of music fairly loud than say a pair of Vandersteen 5's, the Wilson Sophia or the Verity Parsifal - and all three of those speakers have distinctly different characteristics.

Speakers are probably the most personal and most variable part of your system.  The more experience you have listening to different examples, the more likely you are to be happy with them.

95Dyna

I think making a blanket statement like that is somewhat limiting....

Hi Tonepub,

Perhaps you woulld like to explain your blanket statement summarily dismissing "all" Bryston products on the recent "Amp recommendations for Summit X" thread.  I bit my tongue and didn't say anything on that thread but this is just too much hypocrisy to overlook.

Best Regards,

Bill

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Hi Tonepub,

Perhaps you woulld like to explain your blanket statement summarily dismissing "all" Bryston products on the recent "Amp recommendations for Summit X" thread.  I bit my tongue and didn't say anything on that thread but this is just too much hypocrisy to overlook.

Best Regards,

Bill

I would say the variety of sound from all dynamic speakers under $40k is like the ocean compared to one drop of water in difference between the various Bryston amps.
His comments don't seem hypocritical to me.

Lin

95Dyna

I would say the variety of sound from all dynamic speakers under $40k is like the ocean compared to one drop of water in difference between the various Bryston amps.
His comments don't seem hypocritical to me.

Lin

Not trying to pick a fight here or focus on any brand.  Reviewer A states that all of a company's products are inferior to a small number of others and Reviewer B states that one company's speaker is better than all others in a wide category.  Reviewer A then accuses Reviewer B of making a blanket statement when in fact both are classic blanket statements.  The brand of the speaker and amplifier is not germaine to the point.  The point is reviewer A is not practicing what he is preaching here.