Shuguang S845 mono amplifiers

Gopher

Re: Shuguang S845 mono amplifiers
« Reply #40 on: 17 Dec 2010, 01:59 am »
I think you are correct, and if I believed otherwise I wouldn't have rolled the dice on this wild card.  I'm very glad I did though--I've heard a lot of amplification in my own rig recently and these do it for me. 

A lot of people on the SET Asylum cautioned that these things couldn't be any good and that a proper 845 amp couldn't be implemented for the $2400 price range--I don't know how valid this is or isn't as its my only 845 experience, but I am curious how a 'higher end' 845 amp would sound.

sunnydaze

« Reply #41 on: 17 Dec 2010, 02:02 am »
I think you are correct, and if I believed otherwise I wouldn't have rolled the dice on this wild card.  I'm very glad I did though--I've heard a lot of amplification in my own rig recently and these do it for me. 

A lot of people on the SET Asylum cautioned that these things couldn't be any good and that a proper 845 amp couldn't be implemented for the $2400 price range--I don't know how valid this is or isn't as its my only 845 experience, but I am curious how a 'higher end' 845 amp would sound.

Falls under the heading "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

I tend to be a bit risky myself, and am glad.  I have owned some great under the radar and cheap gear that way...stuff that most folks shy away from.  Have yet to be really burned, and will continue to operate in such a manner.  Who wants to follow the crowd anyway?

PS:  my 845 amp was Antique Sound Lab, not exactly a premium label, but still very enjoyable.  On that experience I too wondered how a really good 845 amp would sound.  I hope to find out one day.

drphoto

« Reply #42 on: 17 Dec 2010, 02:46 am »
Fred, interesting you mentioned Bonnie Prince Billy aka Will Oldham. He's a local boy. Weird dude, but hell of a talent.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #43 on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:03 am »
Chris,

Okay, I see.  The picture in the first link looked like a massive heat sink and the tubes weren't obvious.  That's a sexy look'n beast.  What speakers have you graced with it?

When I use the amp....either the Omega Aperiodic 8 speakers (single drivers) or the SP Tech Minis. (small room)

Gopher

« Reply #44 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:33 am »

Gopher

« Reply #45 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:20 am »
Welp, right now I'm looking to turn lemons into lemonade...   One of my 845Bs seems to have gone...   After breaking out the multimeter to diagnose a channel imbalance, one power tube is holding a bias of half of what it should be....

Really crappy as the tubes are only a few months old.  The rig was sounding great too, so its unfortunate.

On the positive end, I'm picking up a pair of Pavane 845-Ts to replace the 845Bs.  There is very little feedback out there on this tube, but from what is out there, it sounds like it may be amazing.  It is about twice the cost of a new pair of 845Bs, so I'm REALLY hoping these last me more then a few months like my last pair.   

I'm NOT having much luck with tubes these days.

morganc

« Reply #46 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:45 am »
That sucks to hear Fred!  I know you were loving your system.....you've inspired me to find a similar set up to yours.....I hope the new tubes hold up for you. 

Welp, right now I'm looking to turn lemons into lemonade...   One of my 845Bs seems to have gone...   After breaking out the multimeter to diagnose a channel imbalance, one power tube is holding a bias of half of what it should be....

Really crappy as the tubes are only a few months old.  The rig was sounding great too, so its unfortunate.

On the positive end, I'm picking up a pair of Pavane 845-Ts to replace the 845Bs.  There is very little feedback out there on this tube, but from what is out there, it sounds like it may be amazing.  It is about twice the cost of a new pair of 845Bs, so I'm REALLY hoping these last me more then a few months like my last pair.   

I'm NOT having much luck with tubes these days.

Gopher

« Reply #47 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:35 pm »
Yep.  Definitely an inconvenience...   Now I'm back where I started--waiting for tubes to ship internationally so I can hear my tunes again...   

On a side note, in trying to investigate user feedback on the Pavane 845-Ts, I discovered my monos are no longer Shuguang's statement 845 amplifiers.  Check this beast out:  http://grantfidelity.com/site/shuguang_psvane_845T_SET_monoblocks

They make my monos look TINY!

JoshK

« Reply #48 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:55 pm »
They are parallel SET...no thanks.  I'll take your SETs over them anyday.  More power doesn't always equal better, especially when considering SET designs. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #49 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:58 pm »
They make my monos look TINY!

Gosh, they look like something made by Mini Watt.  Where's the CD jewl case for comparison?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #50 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:00 pm »
Looks like they are now available domestically. 

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Shuguang_classis_S200MK_S845MK_SET_amplifier_set

The tube choices are perfect IMO. Either a 211 o 845 driven by a 300B with a 6SN7 input is a VG combo. Audiospace uses the same configuration of tubes for a lot more mulla.
  The Consonance line uses a 5687 as driver and 6DJ8 as input fot the 845 or 211 tube. For the money being asked for monos and the Preamp it appears to be bang fo the buck. Would like to compare to my modded Consonance Cyber 211 some day.

charles

Gopher

« Reply #51 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:51 am »
I just received my pair of Pavane 845-T tubes in the mail today and my amps are back from the dead (845B).  They don't sound terrible for brand new tubes, but I am definitely hoping these things change with time like every other tube I've owned (including the Pavane 12au7). 

This post on AG concerns me:  "After approx. 2 weeks, my very positive view of the 845Ts has not
changed. There's been no break-in change that I can detect. "

Rollo,

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you are on or near Long Island, NY you are welcome to check 'em out.

Gopher

« Reply #52 on: 27 Feb 2011, 12:25 am »
Alright, they've held a steady bias for about 24 hours now and have opened up a bit since I first plugged them in.  It is a change from what I recall with the 845Bs for sure, and I think its bringing at least as much to the table so far in most categories, but it does need to relax a little more. 

On a hunch I swapped from my Wywire Hot Sauce on my Boldered modded Eastern Electric to the newer Wywire v2 interconnect and am very much preferring it in this position.  I had recognized the newer version of the V2 as being more linear and extended then the previous HS, with a better attack, but felt it missed out on a little of the harmonic richness of the HS and some of the magic overall.  So far with these power tubes they are preferable. 

I actually never revisited them when I changed preamplifiers and may have preferred them connecting the digital source to the Shindo even with the 845Bs, but never felt compelled to experiment. 

The listening continues!  I should be home until mid afternoon tomorrow, so they'll stay on over night and reach the 35 to 45 hour mark which is where I heard from a friend the magic kicks in.