Shuguang S845 mono amplifiers

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Shuguang S845 mono amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 8 Dec 2010, 05:28 pm »
  Well its purdy. Price is right. good tube choice. yes there were reliability issues. Hopefully cured as the price and parts used are quite attarctive.
  How long is the warranty for the amp as well as tubes ? 30 days ? Does the importer carry parts in stock ? Can they service it locally ?
  I have a 211 based amp from Consonance and this interests me.

charles

Gopher

« Reply #21 on: 8 Dec 2010, 05:31 pm »
Charles,

Sounds like you know of these things...  Any information you can share would be appreciated.

Pacific Valve offers 30 days warranty on the tubes and 1 year parts and labor on the amps and they service in house.  I hope its never needed as they are HEAVY and likely expensive to ship back.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 9 Dec 2010, 05:02 pm »
Charles,

Sounds like you know of these things...  Any information you can share would be appreciated.

Pacific Valve offers 30 days warranty on the tubes and 1 year parts and labor on the amps and they service in house.  I hope its never needed as they are HEAVY and likely expensive to ship back.

That is my point. although a good company they are over 10,000 miles from home. I would only chance a purchase if the importer/distributor has stock in replacemrnt parts and a closer destination for service if required. I have had my fill of products from overseas with little or no support here. To me the Manf. and its distributor weigh as much as the piece in question.
  Having a great or good product is just not enough for me. To be fair most of the issues revolve around transport. The use of fake parts and cheap parts has diminished for the most part but it still occurs. just be leary and check out the service/ warranty issues and the choice is easy.

If that amp was made here or Canada I would be interested to audition it.

wilsynet

« Reply #23 on: 9 Dec 2010, 05:13 pm »
Seems like there may be some safety concerns right now.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4201549&postcount=4

Berto

« Reply #24 on: 9 Dec 2010, 06:57 pm »
Can any of you internet whiz kids find me a manual for these monoblocks.  I didn't see one when I unpacked them and I'd have to sort through gigantic boxes of peanuts to search (i.e. huge mess/big to do).

Biasing was straight forward but I haven't touched the 300B or 845 AC offset adjustments yet because I don't know what the heck they should be.

Gopher, you bought these from a dealer brand new no less. They cant help you on this issue?

These reasons w/other that Rollo mentioned is reason my Audio Aero Captiole is a goner. 

I do know your Atma gear when recieved back w/be bulletproff under warranty for 2years and will (fingers crossed) always have efficent world class customer service. Not too mention sound divine :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #25 on: 9 Dec 2010, 07:06 pm »
I did purchase from Pacific Valve pretty much new, but they were their demo units and they said they had less than 70 hours on them.  Given the fact that I'm witnessing their burn in, I believe this two digit estimate.

The response from Grant was alarming, but I linked them to Grants other thread on another forum to differentiate and Pacific Valve was adamant that they were NOT the original versions.  Check out the next post on the audiokarma link.

They're sounding nice and I'd like for them to work long term.  I bought these on a gamble hoping they'd suit me for a while as they'll be a tough re-sell with no domestic buzz.  If they do turn out to be the problematic units I'll probably ask for my money back or for a significant cash offset from my dealer as I specifically inquired about that.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2010, 02:22 am by Gopher »

Gopher

« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2010, 02:32 am »
I spoke to my dealer today and I don't think there are any shenanigans surrounding this pair.  They are not the original units with the issues, but not exactly the same as the units Grant Fidelity is having built to their own specified spec. 

It also appears Grant has the rights and will be the only ones selling these in the future and they will be selling them at $3,100.00.  This makes me more comfortable about the price I paid--especially if they're keepers.  In the future, after the warranty expires (if they're keepers over my S-30) I'll consider having Wayne of Bolder work his magic on the pair, maybe turn them into true giants.

Tonights listening session is going well.  I've been listening exclusively to digital since it came, but tonight I'm firing up the turntable and its doing the emotion thing well.  Spinning Bonnie Prince Billy's Master and Everyone now and the tone and texture is special--the S-30 will have its work cut out de-throning these things.

Gopher

« Reply #27 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:19 am »
So 845s really do put of some heat, 'eh? 

Its 27 degrees outside and my thermostat is set to 70--it hasn't kicked on in hours and the temp in the room with all lights out is 74.  I wonder what my next electric bill will look like...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:29 am »
So 845s really do put of some heat, 'eh? 

Its 27 degrees outside and my thermostat is set to 70--it hasn't kicked on in hours and the temp in the room with all lights out is 74.  I wonder what my next electric bill will look like...

You pay a little more for electric....but you save a bit on gas and /or heating oil.... :wink: :lol:

Their a good choice for winter...

Gopher

« Reply #29 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:30 am »
You pay a little more for electric....but you save a bit on gas and /or heating oil.... :wink: :lol:

Their a good choice for winter...

You're not kidding! 

Oh well, I'm glad to be done juggling amps.  These things are still improving and so damn good already at driving my Zu speakers.  I'm done!  At least till summer time...   I may have to build a little tripath or the Class D that the cheap and cheerful forum gushes over for July/August. 

I'm rocking out hard with these things, but I'm also sitting here sweating.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #30 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:33 am »
Well....good luck Fred with the new amps...enjoy.   :beer:

(It's cold enough now for me to plug in my tube amp...  8))

Chris

Gopher

« Reply #31 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:41 am »
I'm not familiar with your amp, but DAMN!

That thing is sexy!

sunnydaze

« Reply #32 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:47 am »
Hey Fred....

Told ya that the 845 is one sweet, musical and kick ass tube!  I loved my 845 based SET monos.  Cuts thru all the audiophile bullshit and just plays MUSIC.   Great tone, harmonic structure, image density and space.  With your tastes and listening priorities, I knew you would like it.

Glad you are enjoying it!    :thumb:

John

Wind Chaser

« Reply #33 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:40 am »
Well....good luck Fred with the new amps...enjoy.   :beer:

(It's cold enough now for me to plug in my tube amp...  8))

Chris

Where did they hide the tubes?  Inside the heat sinks?

Gopher

« Reply #34 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:46 pm »
Hey Fred....

Told ya that the 845 is one sweet, musical and kick ass tube!  I loved my 845 based SET monos.  Cuts thru all the audiophile bullshit and just plays MUSIC.   Great tone, harmonic structure, image density and space.  With your tastes and listening priorities, I knew you would like it.

Glad you are enjoying it!    :thumb:

John

Dead on balls, my friend.  You gotta come out and hear it. 

I really hope that Grant Fidelity's concerns are overstated and this version is reliable long term as I could see owning it for a long time and even having modified.

The guys on AC have probably only ever seen me juggle amps like crazy, but before the madness the last amp to keep me happy for a long time (just under five years) was a pair of SET monoblocks (Fi 2a3s)...   These have that kind of staying potential.

If the break down year one, its under Pacific Valves warranty.

If they break down year two, my credit card company can pick up the repair tabs and I'll probably send it to Bolder for some upgrading as well on their dime.

If I get past that point, its proven itself reliable and I'll probably send it out for mods anyway   :P

lonewolfny42

« Reply #35 on: 16 Dec 2010, 04:45 am »
Where did they hide the tubes?  Inside the heat sinks?

Their not heat sinks John...they protect the tubes...rather large and expensive ones....Link...

Gopher

« Reply #36 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:01 am »
Their not heat sinks John...they protect the tubes...rather large and expensive ones....Link...

Attractive tube, although I'm not familiar with it.  A quick google search is pulling up only the KR Audio version in your picture--are there other variants?  Capable of 12 to 22 watts, 'eh?  Sounds pretty versatile.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #37 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:14 am »
  A quick google search is pulling up only the KR Audio version in your picture--are there other variants?  Capable of 12 to 22 watts, 'eh?  Sounds pretty versatile.

I don't think so Fred....but I could be wrong. :scratch:

This might interest you....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88704.0

For John/Wind Chaser....see photos... :wink:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kraudio/antares.html

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:39 am »
Chris,

Okay, I see.  The picture in the first link looked like a massive heat sink and the tubes weren't obvious.  That's a sexy look'n beast.  What speakers have you graced with it?

sunnydaze

« Reply #39 on: 17 Dec 2010, 01:13 am »
Dead on balls, my friend.  You gotta come out and hear it. 

I really hope that Grant Fidelity's concerns are overstated and this version is reliable long term as I could see owning it for a long time and even having modified.

The guys on AC have probably only ever seen me juggle amps like crazy, but before the madness the last amp to keep me happy for a long time (just under five years) was a pair of SET monoblocks (Fi 2a3s)...   These have that kind of staying potential.

If the break down year one, its under Pacific Valves warranty.

If they break down year two, my credit card company can pick up the repair tabs and I'll probably send it to Bolder for some upgrading as well on their dime.

If I get past that point, its proven itself reliable and I'll probably send it out for mods anyway   :P

I wouldn't worry so much about support and repair issues, Fred.  I know some really excellent local techs who could build these things from the ground up, eyes closed.  Methinks some on here overstate these concerns.   It's an amp for goodness sakes, not brain surgery! 

If they sound good, they are good.  If reliability becomes an issue,  any good tech can handle anything the amps need.  Just listen and enjoy, is my advise!        :thumb: