Why a lack of love for Pass Labs ?

madisonears

Re: Why a lack of love for Pass Labs ?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Dec 2010, 04:07 am »
I bought my first Pass product (400A, which was the only amp I owned for 20 years) in the late 70's, and I've followed him reverentially ever since.  He is brilliant and innovative, and his company has thrived because of it.

Recently, however, I have become less enamored of his products, or, more accurately, his design philosophy and that of similar companies.  His amps have always been power hungry beasts.  Everyone well knows that, in order to make all that great sound, Pass amps waste a lot of energy as heat.  I bellieve he regards chipamps and newer technologies with disdain.  I wish he could apply his genius to a more efficient topology.  I believe the days of wasting gobs of power in dinosaur style amps might be drawing to a close.  I have heard (in fact, I have built) small amps that are efficient and sound excellent.  They reduced my electricity bill by 30% from what I was using to run my monoblock tube amps.  I wish manufacturers would begin taking advantage of more efficient designs.

Peace,
Tom E

werd

« Reply #21 on: 9 Dec 2010, 05:13 am »
Not to negatively comment but i am surprised at the 1% distortion on his AB solid state power.  :scratch:

turkey

« Reply #22 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:14 pm »

Recently, however, I have become less enamored of his products, or, more accurately, his design philosophy and that of similar companies.  His amps have always been power hungry beasts.  Everyone well knows that, in order to make all that great sound, Pass amps waste a lot of energy as heat.  I bellieve he

One thing that impressed me about the SKA amps that Greg Ball has designed is that they're more efficient than a lot of competing amps.

I heard a couple of them a few years ago and thought they sounded good too.

http://www.ska-audio.com/

Russellc

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jan 2011, 03:02 pm »
Lots of love here as well.  Since taking a turn from building with tubes, All I've built is Pass.
Doesnt seem to be stopping, and I've ceased interest in other amps, thinking of selling the Mcintosh tubers and all.......

russellc

zeke

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2011, 04:08 am »
My Pass 150.5 amp sounds great ! One of the better solid state amps i have owned ......  ymmv

Overpriced ? --- maybe, but doesn't that apply to most of the hi end gear in this hobby.

zeke

PMAT

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2011, 05:30 am »
What if the majority of AC'ers, through double blind tests found the best sounding amp looked like a cheap Panasonic receiver from the seventies with plastic knobs out of round. Looks and build are important to me. If I lift the item up and it feels super cheap, I am out! Wood or plastic? Polished metal or cardboard? If it sounds good, be proud and make it nice to look at! I will pay more. Gwyeneth Paltrow with Rosie O'Donnell's voice..... no. Rosie's looks with her own voice ....no. Gwenneth with her own voice..... oh yes.

Freo-1

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:21 am »
I am a huge supporter of Nelson Pass equipment.  As far as the comments about using lots of energy, no offense, but who cares?  There is no "free lunch" when it comes to good sound reproduction.  For example, the Class D amps, while showing some promise, have too many shortfalls sonically compared to a solid Nelson Pass designed unit.  The STASIS amp design is true genius, with no feedback or speaker protection required, and normal distortion levels are WELL under .1%

I've been picking up older Threshold amps and getting them restored to better than new.  I would put these units up against ANYTHING from yesterday or today, and they will more than hold their own.  My tech buddy (who regularly attends the RMAF) could not believe just how good the older Threshold units sound.  The Pass Labs gear I've listened to all were great sounding.

I restored a Threshold FET-10, and had a custom 200VA external power supply made with lots of filtering and caps.  The upgrade in presentation was remarkable.  I would challenge anyone to come up with a better sounding line stage, regardless of price.

anthony a.

« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:04 am »
i have owned 4 pass amps over the years and have nothing but excellent things to say about them.  x150, x250, x250.5 and x350.5.  the x350.5 was the best and weighed like 100lbs but the sound was glorious.  lots of power and control.  i never liked the pre-amps, but im sure with the right source and speakers they sound good together.

roscoeiii

« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2011, 04:13 am »
And the low-power FirstWatts are fabulous, as is the Aleph 30. All have sounded great on my high-efficiency drivers. Dead silent. And the FirstWatt line, while all Class A by the same company, has a nice variability in the type of sound they produce. Bravo Papa Pass!

TONEPUB

« Reply #29 on: 8 Feb 2011, 06:20 am »
Just got a monstrous pair of XA160.5's today...

Can't wait to hear them!

werd

« Reply #30 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:11 am »

Can't wait to hear them!

Definitely let us know or link  :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #31 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:17 am »

Can't wait to hear them!

WOW, would love to hear it!  What's the rest of the system like?
T

Biggalo

« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2011, 09:20 pm »
i have owned 4 pass amps over the years and have nothing but excellent things to say about them.  x150, x250, x250.5 and x350.5.  the x350.5 was the best and weighed like 100lbs but the sound was glorious.

The Pass Labs Amps I have considered more than any other Brand and Model are the X1000.5's. Problem is I have not read or heard anyone that own a pair and willing to share their expereince with them. Have heard The X350's and I was floored. Read alot about the X600.5's but not The bigger Brother. As to The Pass Pre, Manufacturers would sometimes be shocked to know it does not always require gargauan changes to their line to spell success. Nelson Pass needs to get away from the Slim-line approach, because many times those who can spring for really high-end gear need to be able to see (see as in getting older, but having the Resources to make it so) the display window easily from a seated position w/o having to trot back and forth just to see the selected source. Example of this is: Audio Research with their Reference Series, and Boulder with their 2000 Series. I would consider a Boulder Pre w/ The Pass Amps I like. I might be on to something!

turbogti

« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2011, 12:09 pm »
I own Threshold SA1 monoblocks, and 10e monoblocks.

I listen to them at work and home everyday, love them A LOT.  :thumb: