RIP Don Meredith

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
RIP Don Meredith
« on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:19 am »
We have lost Dandy Don Meredith.  :cry:

Don Meredith is the best color-commentator MNF has ever had. He made me a Cowboys fan when I was a child because he knew so much about the game. A true legend, and Hall of Famer.

You are missed, Don.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: RIP Don Meredith
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:23 am »
 :beer:
He made MNF fun!!!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:44 am »
I remember some of those Meredith to Hays bombs for 50, 60, even 90 yards. I remember games that he tried to play with cracked ribs, broken noses, but never broken spirit in those '68-69 years.  He was the heart of the Cowboys as they became the team that challenged the great Vince Lombardi and fought so gallantly for the title.  He walked away from the game after the heartbreak of a playoff loss at the peak of his prime.  RIP.

BrysTony

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:02 am »
RIP Cowboy.  We will miss you...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:15 am »
The most touching moment was Frank Gifford interviewed on MNF tonight with some remembrances of Don and how they started on MNF etc, then Franks mentioned he had seen him a couple of weeks ago and he was in a lot of pain, then pauses, and all he can get out is, "Yeah, well".  Then Tirico cuts the interview at that perfect moment of bittersweet sadness.  I had a lump in my throat, I imagine a lot of viewers did. 

Apart from his fine on the field career, he will forever be known as the glamor that took the curse off of Cosell and Gifford, making that MNF trio work so well, and making MNF what it is today.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2010, 05:14 pm »
My favorite Dandy Don moment (I think it was him, certainly sounds like him):

Late in a blowout game the camera scans the sparse stands and sure enough there is this disgusted fan who is looking right in the camera giving the middle finger salute.

And Dandy Don unhesitatingly let's us know: Now there's a fan who thinks his team is No. One!  :thumb:

He made Howard tolerable.

Gene

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2010, 05:43 pm »
RIP to a great player and a real character.  :(

I'll never forget my first NFL game, I was 7 years old and got to see Dandy Don beat my, at the time, St. Louis football Cardinals.

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2010, 06:25 pm »
What's MNF?

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2010, 06:33 pm »
What's MNF?

Do you live under a rock?  :lol:

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:17 pm »
Don played in the best game I think ever played,the (Ice Bowl)the NFL championship 1967.It was 13 below,and with the wind chill,sometimes reaching -63 below on the frozen tundra of Lambeau field.As a young kid,watching that game turned me on to the game......RIP Dandy....Mark K.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:19 pm »
What's MNF?

Monday Night Football.

turkey

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:22 pm »
Monday Night Football.

Ok. I've heard of it, although I've never watched it. (I've never been able to figure out the attraction of watching other people play sports.)

ebag4

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2010, 07:37 pm »
(I've never been able to figure out the attraction of watching other people play sports.)
Yes, it is just a passing fad  :lol:.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2010, 11:39 pm »
Ok. I've heard of it, although I've never watched it. (I've never been able to figure out the attraction of watching other people play sports.)

It's like a really good reality show, in fact the original reality show.  Real events, not staged, with pathos, drama and comedy, tension and resolution.  You couldn't write better stuff if you tried.

But I see your point, I could never understand listening to other people play music.   :scratch: