Does anybody use tubes in their HT??

EMC

« on: 11 Mar 2004, 07:04 pm »
I want to experiment with tubes but I don't want to waste my time or money either. I have 626Rs and LRC w/ FST and I know the marriage of tubes and VMPS ribbons are a good one for music but would I get the same volume levels when watching dvd's and HD stuff(never reference, normally -5 to -10db). I have a MC-8 and I crossover to a pair HSU TN1220HO's. Right now I use a Carver 806x (not horrible actually) and I want to know should I worry about going to 25-60 watts.

(considering AES sixpacs, Superamp brand new or used BAT, CJ and Cary amps. Thanks gentlemen.)

meilankev

« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2004, 08:08 pm »
Of course, you can reach reference levels using tube amps (for Home Theater).  I use a pair of tube monoblocks to drive my Main Speakers in my system, which is integrated with 2-channel and Home Theater.  

I have no problem with volume and dynamics when watching DVD movies.  If you are going to use a Subwoofer (as most do), this would free your mains from this responsibility, and negating the one likely limitation of any tube-based system.

Kevin

EMC

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2004, 08:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  :D

Do you mind telling me what mains and amp you use?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2004, 08:48 pm »
I think Kora amps would sound very nice (they did great on the mids and highs with my 40's in my room - just not enough juice on the bottom).  Sine the 626 are significantly smaller than the 40's, you shoul dbe fine.

BTW, Kevin also uses Kora for his amps.

Mine are the Comos References and his are the Cosmos.

George

meilankev

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2004, 08:51 pm »
EMC,

My speakers are RM40s, which I assume are more difficult to drive than your 626Rs.  My amps are from an obscure French company called KORA.  They are a good match.

Kevin

EMC

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2004, 08:57 pm »
Thanks. I was hoping to hear from RM40 owners who were using tubes successfully.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2004, 09:01 pm »
EMC,

Since Kevin and I are using the same speakers and also the same amp with different results, it shows that proper system matching is very important.  Size of room, volume you listen at, type of music you play, all are important factors when putting things together.

George

PLMONROE

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2004, 04:46 am »
EMC - I have a 5.1 system and use tubes all around - and in triode  mode too. Room is 12x17x9. I have a pair of 250 watt VTL MB-250s driving the RM-40s,  and  old Harmon Kardon Citation IIs highly modified and retubed to  KT-90s in triode mode by Jim McShane. One of these drives the two 626R surrounds) with about 30 watts per channel and another (in brigded mode) drives the VMPS LCR. The LFE is solid state.  I can literally shake the room (and this house is VERY well built) with the preamp turned up only 1/5! You bet tubes can work well.

Paul

soliver

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2004, 02:38 pm »
I use tubes in my HT/ Stereo system.  Not VMPS, but nice stuff nonetheless.

Anyhow the sound is great, and I think that a tube - speaker combo that works well on your music can provide those same great qualities to your HT listening.

My only reservation about using tubes in HT, is that tubes have a limited life span.  Today's DVDs are all about getting as many special features on a disc as possible.  For me, when I do watch the special features like the four hours worth of stuff on each LOTR title, it kills me that I am wasting tube life on this stuff.

meilankev

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2004, 03:24 pm »
Scott,

Welcome to Audio Circle.  It's good to see your name next to a post.  Since I don't spend much time on HTF, I haven't had the opportunity to read your opinions lately.

Audio Circle is a better place by your presence.

Kevin

EMC

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2004, 04:35 pm »
soliver,
Thanks for replying. I liken that issue to my projector bulb. I prefer to watch soley dvd and HD material but I know I'm killing bulb hours watching regular tv. I'm walking in with my eyes open(at least I think).

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2004, 06:07 pm »
EMC,

Welcome to the Circle. I do use the NAD surround processor pre-outs as an input to the deHavilland Ultraverve preamplifier.  I run a phantom center channel, so the panning is seamless for movies.  As I don't have the system setup for multichannel music, I can't comment.

Regards,

rblnr

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2004, 01:10 pm »
I use Llano tube/ss hybrid amps for my stereo/HT setup -- I have a pair of RM40's and an LRC across the front.  Sounds great and at 200 wpc that doubles in 4 ohms, driving them to any volume is no problem.