Vortexbox software

mcgsxr

Re: Vortexbox software
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2010, 11:57 pm »
That diagram is correct - IF you want to run wirelessly from server to SB3.  My preference, as they are in the same room, is to run them wired.

I have looked around the basement, and there is no phone jack down there, so I won't be able to move my modem and router down there, and run the server and SB3 wired as I do today.

Having experienced difficulties (random, infrequent, but frustrating) in the past with wirelessly streaming to my SB3, I think I am at the end of the road at this time for this exploration.

I just cannot see my way clear to going wireless for my main system, after excellent success running wired.

I do bet that the Vortexbox software would run faster than XP Pro on my old Dell, but I don't think the risks outweigh the rewards for me.

In time, there may prove to be a situation where I can leverage this cool software.
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2010, 12:59 am by mcgsxr »

chip

« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:46 am »
A question in regards to your wireless setup - which router are you running for your wireless and what was the distance between the sb3 and the wireless device?

I know when I first got my sb3 I had wireless issues and I was running an older wireless router. So I upgraded that to something newer/recommended and it works alot better. Still has a few hiccups but nothing like before.

Just a thought.

Have you ever thought about the following:

A repeater or a powerline adapter?

lcrim

« Reply #22 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:58 am »
chip:
I agree, a newer (802.11) N series router may be  less balky.  My "N" router has been rock solid since the day I put it in place.  It covers both floors of my condo w/o any gaps .  All my sound and audio devices are wired but there are three laptops w/ wireless cards w/o issues or dead spots.
Powerline networking is a possibility even though the devices are a bit pricey.

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:16 pm »
My router is an older model for sure - a Linksys WRT54GS V4 with Speedbooster.

I own a 2 storey home.  My SB3 and main music system are in the unfinished basement.  My music server is in the basement.  My router is on the 2nd storey, in a spare bedroom, with the main PC in the house.  My work laptop usually ends up in that same spare bedroom, but roams around the property.  The kids laptop is currently in the basement.

So, if I switch to wireless, the signal would have to go from basement to 2nd storey, and back down again to the basement, just to cross the room.

I am in the process of examining a new modem/combo router from my ISP (Bell Canada in my case) that could be placed in the basement, and run wired from SB3 to music server, but serve wireless throughout the rest of the home.  I could get a usb wireless adapter from Tigerdirect for my wife's PC.

So, for about $30 all in, I could get newer technology (though still wireless G).

The only N device I have would be my work laptop.

I might pursue this, but am still examining the work involved, and the perceived payoff vs my current situation of wired server to SB3, and my server is TOTALLY off the net in that instance.

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:37 am »
As an update, I bought a usb wireless G adapter, and a refurb Netgear N router.  Yes, I know that an N adapter would have been better, but for $10, the G will do perfectly.

I have moved a phone jack in the unfinished basement over to close to where the server PC sits.

I intend to move the modem and router to the basement, and run the SB3 and server wired, and the main PC upstairs wirelessly.  If that goes well, and my wife is happy, I will then consider running Vortexbox on the music server in the basement, as I will be able to run wired down there, and see how it goes.

All that remains is adapting to the idea that my server would no longer be an island from the Net, and needing to figure out how to add a 1TB usb drive to the Vortexbox once it is loaded.  There are instructions on how to do so, but of course they are command line because it is Linux.

I would be irritated if I loaded the Vortexbox s/w, and then had trouble accessing the music!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2010, 02:53 am »
After reading this thread and the fact that I'm running out of drive space on my laptop and my USB drive I might just get a 1TB Vortexbox, use my DUET and control it with ipeng as I am now. Free up my laptops drive for whatever else and just use the USB drive as a backup. They are like roughly $400 so I could just copy my current files to the appliance-I think I can do that correct? Then just keep the V Box near my router and load all new/used CD's or hirez files to the new V Box and carry on from there. Its easy to move around if I change locations and my kids would have a great way to store and play their music along with my music library when I pass it along to them.....excuse my typing out loud here.....I'm sure it could be done cheaper but I'm not the handiest at dealing with software issues so the one box solution with my existing DUET and ipeng would suit me perfectly.
 Thanks guys for discussing this here, I always learn new stuff from ya'll!!!  Thanks :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2010, 04:26 am »
Glad that you found the thread, and hope that you do report back on your experiences if you do pull the trigger on the actual Vortex appliance.

As an update, I have successfully wired up the phone jack in the basement, and have moved the modem and new N router down to the basement also, where they will live in my audio cabinet.  I will connect my ethernet cables for the music server and SB3 tomorrow, and make sure all runs perfectly.

I will then have to do a little more reading about the usb drive attachment method for Vortexbox, to ensure I understand all the complexities of doing so - I really don't want to have to move the 800G of FLAC off the usb drive, in order to prep it for Linux, but I am afraid I may have to...

mcgsxr

« Reply #27 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:57 pm »
Well, I have gone ahead and installed the Vortexbox software on my old PC, and it has installed well.

Now I need to sort out a couple of questions, and have posted in their forum here - http://vortexbox.org/forum/help/fresh-1-6-install/#p9103

Hopefully folks there can answer my noob Linux questions...

mcgsxr

« Reply #28 on: 13 Dec 2010, 01:45 pm »
Relatively quick turnaround on the Vortexbox forums, and decent advice given to my 2 specific questions.

You can install a GUI directly onto the Vortexbox server, in order to access it with keyboard and monitor - I recognize that few will want to, but in my install, it is helpful to be able to do so, as the server is in the same room as the music system, and I prefer to load up complex playlists off a monitor, and without the need to drag a laptop into that room. 

My 2nd question was about the requirement to format a usb drive, in order to add it to the server - looks like I won't have to do that, but I will have to explore some command line linux in order to perform the required activities.

This is new territory for me, but it appears that there is much information available on the Net, and through other forums, so I think I can pull it off.

I am also sourcing a used iTouch, to use as a remote (sometimes).

al2002

« Reply #29 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:07 pm »
I'm a bit late on this thread.

As a VB user I can recommend it  without reservation. If you don't want to get parts and  build your own server just buy the VB appliance. For about a hundred dollars over the cost of parts you will have an assembled and tested server ready to use.

I came across this idea from Larry (lcrim) in another thread I started about a thin client pc for use with my SB3 to act as my server, but thought a new thread prudent.

Could we start a thread for folks considering installing Vortexbox software on a spare PC, and help Squeezebox users get it all up and running?

I hope so, cause I think I am going to do it, and I am a complete Linux noob, and think that some online help from my friends would be great!

I have a spare Dell small form factor pc in my basement, that for the past 3 years or so had been running my music collection, run wired ethernet to my Bolder SB3.

As I understand it, from the Vortexbox site, I will need to download their software, burn it onto a disc, and then shove it into the PC, and let it overwrite to be the OS for that PC.

My worries begin there - can I run that unit with my monitor and access the Squeezebox software there as I always have?  Can I easily add an external usb drive to that?  I will want to, as I have 800G of FLAC on one now.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 21 Dec 2010, 04:21 am »
I just saw the website for the dealer of Vortexbox appliances, they now have 2TB and 6TB units...the big one looks like it could do some serious work!!!
http://www.shop.smallgreencomputer.com/main.sc

TomS

« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2010, 04:25 am »
I just loaded this up on a small $120 Atom 270 board and was up and running for both Squeezecenter and my remote Linux MPD USB transport setup in less than 30 minutes.   I took the 1tb music drives from my old ClearOS Linux server and just mounted to /storage on VTB.  Very nicely integrated for ripping, cover art, etc.  I like it.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 21 Dec 2010, 04:43 am »
I envy your tech savy!! I think I'm gonna buy the box in the near future and just plug it in....I'm technically challenged when it comes to building a PC.  :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #33 on: 21 Dec 2010, 11:21 am »
I envy your tech savy!! I think I'm gonna buy the box in the near future and just plug it in....I'm technically challenged when it comes to building a PC.  :thumb:
No, no, my point was I'm a total dweeb when it comes to this and it somehow just worked.  I'm just fortunate enough to muddle through it so it must be pretty foolproof  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 21 Dec 2010, 11:40 am »
I was thinking about it and I could probably pull it off, its just a small dedicated PC with a CD or DVD drive and a Hard Disk correct, ya don't need a super duper video card or any video card for that matter correct??

TomS..can you send me a PM or post the items used, item #'s, etc...I'm guessing I'll need:
1) MOBO and power supply
2) CPU and RAM
3) Hard Drive
4) CD/DVD Drive
5) Vortexbox software, OS ISO?

Is it just a formatted hard drive with Vortexbox software only on it??
I'll Google it and start reading up on the whole thing, any tips? Websites I should check out??
 Happy Holidays!!! Thanks in advance...
 Ed :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #35 on: 21 Dec 2010, 12:04 pm »
I was thinking about it and I could probably pull it off, its just a small dedicated PC with a CD or DVD drive and a Hard Disk correct, ya don't need a super duper video card or any video card for that matter correct??

TomS..can you send me a PM or post the items used, item #'s, etc...I'm guessing I'll need:
1) MOBO and power supply
2) CPU and RAM
3) Hard Drive
4) CD/DVD Drive
5) Vortexbox software, OS ISO?

Is it just a formatted hard drive with Vortexbox software only on it??
I'll Google it and start reading up on the whole thing, any tips? Websites I should check out??
 Happy Holidays!!! Thanks in advance...
 Ed :thumb:
I used this motherboard with the M350 case and external power supply
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170576202244&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT.  I built my own linear 12v power supply just because I hate most switchers.

- Upgraded to 2gb RAM just because I had it around, not necessary.

- Installed an Intel 40gb SSD http://www.amazon.com/Intel-X25-V-Value-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B0031X8HG2 to run the OS, Squeezecenter, and MPD only.  Not  really needed and overkill for VTB use. 

- I had an extra cheapo USB DVD drive and just plugged it in and it worked.  Nothing special.

- Hard drive is Oyen portable 1tb http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/CB2-52-1000-M.html which is total overkill for this but I can move it around to other servers very easily and use for Firewire on a Mac Mini if I want to.  I tried a Seagate 1tb and it works fine too.

- Burn an .iso copy of VTB to a CD, boot it, and you're good to go with the rest.  Video is actually a character screen, so any old monitor will do.  When you're done, just remove it and do it all headless.  If you're talking to it from a W7/Vista/XP box remotely (headless), definitely install both Putty and WinSCP, free applications.  Makes life a lot easier.

You could easily just use the base 512mb mobo wall wart, and a single usb drive of your choice.  No need for this complexity at all.  Keep it simple.

Everything you need to know is on www.vortexbox.org

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 21 Dec 2010, 12:07 pm »
Thanks Tom!!!!!
 A new project for a new year!!!
 :dance:

chip

« Reply #37 on: 21 Dec 2010, 09:49 pm »
I just saw the website for the dealer of Vortexbox appliances, they now have 2TB and 6TB units...the big one looks like it could do some serious work!!!
http://www.shop.smallgreencomputer.com/main.sc

Does anyone know which case the 6tb one is using?

I also wonder if it is 3 * 2tb drives?

mcgsxr

« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2010, 07:46 pm »
Glad to see that some are finding it straightforward.

I was never able to load up a GUI version of the software.

Worse yet, and nothing to do with the Vortexbox software, the PC I was using died.  I tried replacing the HD, but I kept getting errors related when reloading either XP or Vortexbox.

Looks like the old SFF Dell has finally given up the ghost.

I will sit and think about the best approach, I might buy another used PC for this, or might just give it up and use my work PC as my server for the short term, and live with Vista etc.

TomS

« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2010, 08:08 pm »
Glad to see that some are finding it straightforward.

I was never able to load up a GUI version of the software.

Worse yet, and nothing to do with the Vortexbox software, the PC I was using died.  I tried replacing the HD, but I kept getting errors related when reloading either XP or Vortexbox.

Looks like the old SFF Dell has finally given up the ghost.

I will sit and think about the best approach, I might buy another used PC for this, or might just give it up and use my work PC as my server for the short term, and live with Vista etc.
Assuming you're talking about the PC you're trying to load VTB on, you shouldn't need to boot XP again at all, just boot up the VTB CD with the VTB .ISO image, if you made one, on it and follow the steps outlined on the screen, which is character based.

The GUI comes into play once VTB is loaded and running.  You access it from another web browser session (on another machine), similar to the way you would for Squeezecenter.