Bybee Nanotube Quantum Resistors and Active DC Noise Filters

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
I've known Jack Bybee for many years and have used his products in the past.  His AC line filter has been in my system a long time, and does an excellent job of removing hash and noise.  However, in the past I tried, and disliked, his inline speaker filters which generally removed too much information from the signal for my taste.

As I related elsewhere on this board (in the Industry Ads section), a V60 customer insisted I install a full set of Bybee
filters on its drivers, a total of six large and 12 small units per side, a retail outlay of over $1100.  He also said the filters would require 400hrs breakin.  I did as he asked, and found that immediately after installing these parts, the sound of the V60 deteriorated noticably.  If breakin were indeed a mostly psychoacoustic phenomenon ("all in your head"), then these speakers would constitute a good testing ground.  As a control, I compared my demo V60's and noted that the well-broken-in stock speakers sounded noticably better than those with the new Bybee filters, no doubt about it. 

For nearly a month, the modded V60's played sinewave sweeps 18 hrs a day at a moderate level.  About once a week I played familiar music through them to check for any progress.  It took two full weeks before the music signal's reproduction quality changed for the better.  After a month, the modded speakers sounded noticably cleaner and clearer than the control pair.  IMO the Bybees after breakin improved matters considerably in a fashion they did not do before breakin.

Nanotube Quantum Resistors are neither floobydust nor audiophile fantasy.  They were developed  as noise reduction devices for submarine electronics.  There is a 1998 article in "Science" magazine which I can link if anyone's interested, which explains the physics in some detail.  It's not an article for non-scientists, but you can read it and understand the technology a little better.

Yesterday John Curl and I travelled down to Audible Arts in Campbell CA to hear two NuForce amplifiers, one of which had been modified with Bybee's new DC active noise filters.  The improvement in sound quality in the modded amp was unmistakable and considerable.  This $75 device (plus installation) reduces masking noise to a remarkable degree.

Bybee will now co exhibit with VMPS and Atmasphere in our CES/THE SHOW booth, where we will demonstrate the RM50 with the Nanotube Resistor noise reduction on all drivers, and demo the effects of the active DC noise filter.  Even under Show conditions, I believe it won't take a Golden Ear to discern the improvements.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
 Cool. Could you elaborate on where to apply the resistors and DC noise filters. Are they for speakers only ? Thanks.

charles

Brian Cheney

The resistors install in series with the plus and minus input terminals on each driver.

The DC noise filter installs after the power supply caps in any DC power supply, particularly those of audio amplifiers.  The difference it makes is very impressive.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
It's always a pleasure when the audio Industry greats like Brian Cheney and John Curl fully support Jack Bybee and his products. From someone who has had 20+ system Bybees for years now, I need no convincing nor does the naysayer lipservice bother me as I'm well versed in the benefits of Bybee's from power, signal, video aspects. I especially love my Bybee Ultra Speaker filters on my Odyssey Lorelei's (which are now complemented by EVS's Ground Enhancers). Still it's satisfying to get industry comfirmation that I'm not alone in my beliefs as John Curl has provided for many many years now.  :notworthy:

I might add that Wayne Waananen has been my provider of such Bybee products as my Bybee Super Effect Ultra AC cord that I use for my processor, 20A IEC Bybee Ultra adapter for my BPT (which also has dual Bybee's after the transformer), Bybee RCA adapters for digital/component/video/subwoofer cables, s-video Bybee adapter, F-Connector Bybee adapters for my Directv cables from the dish,,, and that's all I can think of at the moment.  :lol:

I would absolutely love to update all my system Bybee's with Jack Bybee's new Nanotube Quantum Resisters, but as my finances currently are in today's world, that ain't likely to ever happen. But I'm damn lucky to just have what I do so I'll just be happy for that. But a guy can dream and thanks Brian for providing that!  :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

Brian Cheney

Thanks for the kind words.  The speaker filters, with their long breakin period and substantial cost, are certainly controversial.
I would never have bothered with them if my customer hadn't insisted.  I find the improvement they bring unobtainable any other way.  And that says a lot, since I have implemented every design trick I know in the RM50 in terms of cabinet, drivers, controlled directivity, passive parts, crossover, user flexibility, speaker and room correction, and associated equipment. 

Our CES/THE SHOW demo is designed to have the best of everything, including a live music source in direct A/B comparison with its playback.  My goal is to prove that the problem of home high fidelity reproduction is basically solved, and at an affordable (for most) price.  It remains to be seen if actually providing live sound quality through speakers and electronics is what audiophiles want, rather than to continue their merry-go-round of misery, swapping gear endlessly and being unhappy with the result.

There are many good sounding speakers out there now, at all price points.  The Final Frontier of live music quality reproduction is within reach, right in front of us.  Now, to convince the world this is the case.

Cheeseboy

Questions O the Questions

This sounds like a real breakthrough in performance.

Is it redundant to install the Bybees in both the speaker and the amplifier?

Will the lesser expensive amp installation suffice?

If not would the cost associated with a speaker installation be based on the number of drivers in a speaker?

Will this be an upgrade offered in the entire VMPS line? 

What would be the cost associated with an install in say the RM30 or RM40?

Will the partnership with Bybee decrease the cost associated with such an install?

Brian Cheney

Re: Bybee Nanotube Quantum Resistors and Active DC Noise Filters
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2010, 12:23 am »
It is not redundant to install both the active DC filters in  amplifier power supplies (which are designed to suppress 1/f noise, which is louder as frequency descends) and the passive speaker filters (mostly affecting HF noise).

The speaker filters are used two per driver, and total cost  depends on number of drivers.  We are trying to determine if fewer filters can be employed to equal effect, and will let everyone know the results.

Cost at retail could be anywhere from a few hundred dollars to over $1200 for a speaker such as the RM30 or 40.  We will try to keep the cost as low as possible.

I don't know if Jack Bybee intends to have cozy relationships with certain manufacturers (we wouldn't mind).  However, since the filters introduce series R into the circuit, crossovers should be optimized for use with the Bybees in place.  I can imagine a change in crossover frequency resulting from their insertion into a filter, and the sound suffering as a consequence.

This is a new area for us, and I would take the experience of others who have used Bybees in the past, in other applications, with a grain of salt.  Their mileage may have varied!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:20 am »
I had heard many people discussing the possibility that this product might be something like Snake Oil.  I'm very glad that a credible speaker designer like yourself has done a side by side comparison.  Hats off to you for taking the time to do this. 

My first thought was how will a speaker crossover be designed knowing that these will be inline.   A new science of voicing is born. 

I'm really stoked about this product. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:41 am »
While this variety of Bybee is relatively recent, Bybee's themselves have been out and used by manufacturer's for the last decade and so has the naysaying snake oil BS that clings to everything audio related from wire to power conditioners. That's never going to go away regardless of the product in question. Dan Wright of Modwright was well known back in the day for using Bybee's in his component mods so Bybee's are no stark new revelation. But there's also no doubt in my mind that todays Nantube Quantum Resisters are much more interesting than what currently graces my system. The fact that they've caught Brian Cheney's ears just makes me that much more envious. The 1 downside to Bybee's has been and continues even more so today is the damn pricetag. They were mighty pricey at my old price of $100 a pop(yet I still have over 20) but todays price has even scared a Bybee lover like myself away. For those who can afford the price of admission, I say enjoy!  :drool: 

Cheers,
Robin

Brian Cheney

Cheeseboy

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2010, 04:52 am »
Robin,

I guess I don't get out enough.  The only comment I've heard to date from my "Flatearth" friends have been negative.  It is my hope that I not start a flurry of debate here.  It is really my intention to thank Brian for pointing out something new to me.  It a hobby for me and I tend to listen to my stereo more than read. 

I saw a thread over at GR Research where a gentleman was disounting the practice of upgrading the components in a crossover network to improve sound.  Danny Richie build a speaker with the upgrades and sent the upgraded speaker and the original speaker on a listening tour .  A sort of just listen for yourself .  I was really pleased to have the same A/b test done by Brian on these resistors.  Go Nano!

I worked for JVC and we hosted a reviewer Leonard Feldman at our audio factory in Japan.  We were demonstrating a new digital circuit for a CD player that would reclock remove ripple and jitter from your signal path in playback called K2.  We built a switch into the CD palyer so he could hear the product with K2 and without  K2.  It was a significant upgrade.  We just did a poor job marketing it.

I applaud a quality demonstration.

I do have a ship coming in soon and will consider this upgrade in my new speakers. 

Thank You Mr Chaney!

Brian Cheney

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:48 am »
Bybees work best when they are properly compensated for in the filter design, including series R.

A passive device that reduces noise in the audio spectrum (or above) without introducing HF rolloff is highly worthwhile, IMHO.  An active device that reduces 1/f noise in a DC power supply as effectively as the new Bybee filter should not be dismissed lightly.

Even small amounts of masking noise will have bad effects on sound quality.  Bybee addresses this problem, and does so to excellent effect.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:13 am »
When people ask me if they should have Bybees of any type installed into their product, I always asked them to do their own research and come to their own conclusions. I have been using Bybees for years and they are standard in our Silver Statement linestage.

The problem with many of the negative comments about Bybee Technology is they the user simply threw pieces in randomly and/or try to use them as a band-aid. As Brian mentioned, Bybees, like any other passive component, need to be designed into a circuit rather than just thrown in. Without at least a little research, you can easily create a negative effect rather than an improvement.

We are also looking at the newest addition to the Bybee OEM products for.........well anyway.

Kudos Brian. I am glad you found these pieces to be an improvement enhancement to your products.

Cheeseboy---- Are you speaking of the K2 as used in the 1050 player? (I think that was the model). This player was far ahead of it's time when it came out. I wish I still had mine.

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:18 am »

Cheeseboy---- Are you speaking of the K2 as used in the 1050 player? (I think that was the model). This player was far ahead of it's time when it came out. I wish I still had mine.
A local friend of mine had one (JVC XL Z1010) he wasn't using, basically new in the box from long ago, and dropped it off because my old Philips CD960 transport didn't seem to work reliably any more.  It is a very nice piece for sure and a keeper.  I don't spin discs any more but it is nice to have in a pinch and holds its own.

Tom

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:21 pm »
I had heard many people discussing the possibility that this product might be something like Snake Oil.

Used to use Snake Oil, but the OMEGA 3 content was low, so switched to Fish Oil. :duh:

Cheeseboy, where have you been?  You disapeared for a while.  Hope all is well with your system.

I'm very glad that a credible speaker designer like yourself has done a side by side comparison.  Hats off to you for taking the time to do this. 

My first thought was how will a speaker crossover be designed knowing that these will be inline.   A new science of voicing is born. 

I'm really stoked about this product.

Brian has ears like few people I know.  While his electrical/scientific backround is extensive, it is his ability to hear finite detail differences that is really amazing.

With a device such as the bybee unit, only a few would really know where to place it for best advantage, and what to listen for when they did, and then what adjustment (if any) to make. :scratch:

Thanks goodness B, has that kind of experience and interest.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2010, 07:44 pm »
A local friend of mine had one (JVC XL Z1010) he wasn't using, basically new in the box from long ago, and dropped it off because my old Philips CD960 transport didn't seem to work reliably any more.  It is a very nice piece for sure and a keeper.  I don't spin discs any more but it is nice to have in a pinch and holds its own.

Tom

I still have mine with the giant SAMPLE sticker on it.  While it is a little light in the loafers in the low registers I haven't found a CD player with better hang in the air stuff for bells and other sonic fireworks.   I'm sure there are better cd players out there but this one has withstood the test of time for me.  One of these days she'll give up the ghost. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2010, 07:48 pm »
When people ask me if they should have Bybees of any type installed into their product, I always asked them to do their own research and come to their own conclusions. I have been using Bybees for years and they are standard in our Silver Statement linestage.

The problem with many of the negative comments about Bybee Technology is they the user simply threw pieces in randomly and/or try to use them as a band-aid. As Brian mentioned, Bybees, like any other passive component, need to be designed into a circuit rather than just thrown in. Without at least a little research, you can easily create a negative effect rather than an improvement.

We are also looking at the newest addition to the Bybee OEM products for.........well anyway.

Kudos Brian. I am glad you found these pieces to be an improvement enhancement to your products.

I saw one on Audiogon the other day for $175.  I have a couple other JVC gems.   Every once in a while they hit the long ball.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2010, 07:54 pm »
Hey John,

Nice to see ya.  I have to say thanks.  Everyonce in a while I'll get on the circle and play your tunes here on the VMPS circle.  They always make me smile.

The system is not together.  I have fallen victim to the deppression we are in.   

We're digging out.

Send bigger shovels.

Steve

Cheeseboy

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2010, 11:35 pm »
Brian,

I can't wait to hear the results at CES.  I haven't missed one in 28 years.

While the RM 50's are out of my price zone the RM40 and RM30 are not.  Perhaps when things mellow out after CES I'll come for a listen. 

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:49 am »
Brian,

I can't wait to hear the results at CES.  I haven't missed one in 28 years.

While the RM 50's are out of my price zone the RM40 and RM30 are not.  Perhaps when things mellow out after CES I'll come for a listen. 

Steve

That's the spirit.

A super scooper shovel is on the way. . . :lol: :lol: