What makes you purchase an amp you can't audition?

schw06

Even in major cities, the ability to audition amps in your system are limited so I'm curious what factors are most important to people when they purchase an amp without being able to hear it before purchasing it? I'm assuming you have already decided to purchase a tube amp rather than solid state. Is it:
1. Output power
2. Tube compliment
3. Class A or AB output
4. Single ended vs. push pull
5. Use of negative feedback
6. Performance specifications
7. Point to point wiring
8. Location of manufacturer
9. Warranty
10. User/Professional reviews
11. Monoblock vs. stereo
12. Tube rectified power supply
13. Resale value
14. Major brand vs. boutique
15. Ability to communicate with owner/designer
16. Other

Actually all these things have weight when I'm deciding but I'm curious what people think are the top 2 or 3.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: What makes you purchase an amp you can't audition?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2010, 12:22 pm »
My tastes far exceed my income so I almost always buy used which means more shipping than demos.
For me, it's:

Monoblock
Output Power (which explains monoblock)
Reviews (or already own similar)

Charles Xavier

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2010, 12:44 pm »
Reviews

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2010, 12:46 pm »
Recommendations by trusted audiophools and the price I pay (almost always used) versus what I can turn and burn it for.  20 amps and counting!

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2010, 01:05 pm »
It's hard to generalize, but from that list and thinking about my last tube amp purchase, the top of the list would be

15. Ability to communicate with owner/designer

However some other factors are missing, such as having heard an amp from the same designer (but a different one from the one you bought). There's also an element of uniqueness that comes into play - why pay for a mass-produced unit when you can get a hand-crafted one from someone you have met in person?

I've just ordered another unit from the same designer, so there's an element of "prior success" in there too.

To me, things like output power, class, neg f/b etc, are more about technical issues and matching the amp to the use to which it will be put. For example, if I had 100db/w/m speakers then I would have bought an amp from the same designer, but a different one (low-power SET). I don't really care for monoblocks myself.

It doesn't hurt to find good recommendations on a specific unit but you always have to look at the big picture.

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2010, 02:08 pm »
16. or 17. Distance

Like it or not, when you live 100 miles from a place that doesn't really have a hifi shop (Grand Rapids, even though Vincent, I guess, is located there) and 200 miles from Detroit/Ann Arbor, distance factors in. It's a hassle bringing stuff back and forth to try at home.

The internet brings us all closer together but I'm waiting for the day when the amplifier just plops out of the screen!

Paul

iGrant

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2010, 02:48 pm »
Have you considered adding 'in-home-audition' to your list? Many companies offer this and while if you aren't bowled over with your purchase you will likely get dinged for shipping both ways, it will answer most of your questions for you and the most important one, how does it work for you :) For many there just isn't anything local to audition and the cost of a trip to audition is less than the cost of shipping. Ask a potential company for recommendations based in your listening style, room, planned speakers, music tastes, budget and they will give you their recommendation(s) so that you are in the ballpark.

My two or three recommendations would be

Power. If the power isn't right you won't be happy.
Tube Compliment, which will dictate the answer to other items listed, you might want to add quality of tubes here.
Other - Service and Support

Cheers,
Ian

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2010, 02:52 pm »
Ian, that post strikes me as rather inappropriate.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2010, 02:59 pm »
This is directed at myself as well as in general, so no hard feelings implied....

18. Laziness
19. The delusional self confidence that I know better than the audio dealer.

It's kind of weird that we might fly a thousand miles to attend RMAF, or spend half the day traveling to a rave. Yet not many of us will drive 90 minutes from home to listen to a complete system that someone has already taken the time and effort to assemble. We are a strange bunch of dudes. (Well, at least I am . . .  :o )
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2010, 04:27 pm by Quiet Earth »

R_burke

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:07 pm »
I bought my Manley Mahi Mahi monoblocks without auditioning and here is why I felt I could do it

reviews
manufacturer (trust worthiness)
communication with seller and/or manufacturer (In my case both)

the other items like power, type of tube are what I use to decide which amp but weren't part of the buying without auditioning thought process

soundbitten1

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2010, 07:59 pm »
reviews
warranty
value

Berto

« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2010, 08:18 pm »
Reviews, not just pro but people on here and other sites who have lots more experience then me.

Resale vaule which brings up the ability to buy used and in great condition which insures for a minimal loss if the need for a change comes.

Even if you buy used , still getting the same customer service and advice from owner/co. as well as ability to add upgrades as wanted/needed. USA made , don't want to have to ship these usually heavier pieces overseas b/c of cost and extended downtime.

Class A and powerful, lots of headroom, yes more then I can use is my cup of tea.

I do prefer SET sound and point to point wiring.

And finally polished steel preferably, LOTS OF IT!! I luv the look :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2010, 02:01 am »
Have you considered adding 'in-home-audition' to your list? ...

Ian, that post strikes me as rather inappropriate.

Why?  Isn't he making a valid point?  Even if you live in a big city where you have the opportunity to audition gear in a shop or in a private home, there's no substitute for hearing it in your own home.

I just made a blind shot in the dark purchase (because shipping a 70 lb amp two ways isn't going to be cheap) plus I got a deal which precludes returning the product. 

So why would I do such a thing?  It wasn't so much the 'deal' as the synergy according to the previous owner of my speakers.  Relying on his experience and trusting his judgment may be a bit risky, but his wallet is a lot fatter than mine and he has heard more amps with the Druids than I have, so that puts his judgment into perspective for me.  Still, I'm a little nervous as the tubes alone cost more than the Ampino.
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2010, 11:07 am by Wind Chaser »

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2010, 02:41 am »
Musicality. My personal tastes (see musicality)  :). And synergy within my system.

For my needs, the only true evaluation is within my room, setup, and system.

Therefore, no more auditions, in terms of purchase decisions. Has saved me considerable time, energy and stress.

Gopher

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:30 am »
I prefer to buy gear without an audition based on recommendations from ears I trust and reviewers who have had similar sonic priorities to my own.

Sounds counter-intuitive, but the reason is that I don't like pressure.  Regardless of how laid back a dealer/vendor is, I feel like if I'm taking their time to audition their product I should try to throw them some business.  Ultimately I don't like that feeling.  I'd rather buy and sell at will and not worry about anyone else making a living. 

Too easy to buy gear used, see if it works for you and throw it back on the sale block if it isn't quite to your tastes. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:29 am »
I've never bought an amplifier that I couldn't audition, and I'd never expect my readers to either...  Especially a tube amp.  I think even though Gopher is doing it a slightly different way, that's still a great way to get some hands on experience.

bunnyma357

« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:44 am »
For me, I buy a lot of bargain gear, so if the potential value of an amp, based on reviews and word of mouth is very high, then the risk to reward makes it worth trying an unknown.

Something that gives me 80% of the performance for 25% of the cost of comparable gear is something worth taking a risk on. Whereas something that gets me 1% perceived improvement but costs 300% more money would require and audition or reasonable return policy.

Jim C

Gopher

« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:56 am »
Bunny,

You raise a good point and something I'll add a quick comment to.  My general MO of audio shopping is noted about, but as of late there have been some particularly attractive amplifiers from China without local dealer support and with extremely limited information on tem, which limits re-sale ability. 

Despite these factors I've recognized tremendous value in a lot of these pieces and have been getting a lot more comfortable importing things with no real recourse from China. 

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2010, 08:19 am »

Hi all Audio Circle members.
My choice in random order with comments.

1. Output power.
Not too important since the amplifier will be driving 97db speakers.
2. Tube compliment.
Tubes that cost less than 15 USD each.
3. Class A or AB output.
Not very important to me.
4. Single ended vs. push pull.
Single ended, since I did not hear up to now a good push pull amplifier.
5. Use of negative feedback.
I don’t see much advantage in No Negative Feedback.
6. Performance specifications.
It can influence my decision, but I know sometimes the manufacturers are not always honest about them.
7. Point to point wiring.
Very important, especially when it comes to repairs later on. 
8. Location of manufacturer.
Very important. (USA or Canada)
9. Warranty.
Also very important, it shows how much the manufacturer has confidence in his products.
10. User/Professional reviews.
Very little confidence in reviews as I now know that very few owners will admit that their product is inferior and manufacturers will do the same.
11. Monoblock vs. stereo.
Integrated to me is less expensive and less wiring.
12. Tube rectified power supply.
Yes, tube rectification, mainly because in case of a failure, tube rectification is safer.
13. Resale value.
Not very important since I usually buy to keep, not to resale.
14. Major brand vs. boutique.
Boutique even if many times, they have less choice of models and options.
15. Ability to communicate with owner/designer.
Very important, I hate to be treated as a number, to communicate with the owner/designer makes you feel important and you can reach him more easily.
16. Other.
Buying without listening has always an amount of chance.

Guy 13

shep

« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2010, 10:25 am »
A mixture of folly and intuition (and furiously reading everythig I can on the net)