DIfference between the Ribbon Monitor One and the QSO 626 R

infotrad

My question is:

Why is the Ribbon 1 the same price (actually a few dollars less) as the 626 Ribbon when it has 2 8-inch woofers instead of the 626 r's one? Plus it has a passive radiator in a floor-standing enclosure that needs no stands?

Despite this, does the 626 R sound as good as the Ribbon One?

Andre, Montreal, Canada

maxwalrath

« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2004, 02:16 pm »
Check out www.ribbonspeakers.net for a very good description of the differences between the VMPS models.

HarleyMYK

John Casler

Re: DIfference between the Ribbon Monitor One and the QSO 62
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2004, 06:12 am »
Quote from: infotrad
My question is:

Why is the Ribbon 1 the same price (actually a few dollars less) as the 626 Ribbon when it has 2 8-inch woofers instead of the 626 r's one? Plus it has a passive radiator in a floor-standing enclosure that needs no stands?

Despite this, does the 626 R sound as good as the Ribbon One?

Andre, Montreal, Canada

Hi Andre,

Both speakers are excellent.

Their performance will depend very much on your set up.  The 626R is a fantastic speaker and likes to be on a 20-26 inch stand.  It has the luxury of being height adjustable, simply by putting it on a stand to match your listening height.

While it is rated at 42Hz, if it is placed properly 2-4 feet from the front wall and your room will support it, the bass will go well below 30Hz and I have measured response ar 25Hz.

The RM1 by virtue of its twin active woofs and passive radiator will play even deeper and are not quite as dependant on "room loading" to go really low.

While they are a fixed height, they can also be "aimed" at the vertical axis of the sweetspot by slightly tilting them back.  If you do so, make sure and place a solid object, (wood block or other) in the space under the front of the speaker to provide an unbroken boundary for the bass wave to travel along.

The reason the the 626R and the RM1 are about the same in price is that the 626R "has" a special 6.5" Mega Woofer (Woven Carbon Fiber) and the RM1 has the standard woofers at a lower price point.

The RM1 with "megawoofers" would end up being $280 more.

Which is better?  It really depends on you system, room and preferences.

Some might say that the 626Rs will set up a better soundstage and have an airier image ability.  I have not found that to be a "big" difference, although if you have a small room it might be.

Properly placed and set up, both will offer much more than you might expect for their $1500-$2000 price point depending on possible options and upgrades.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2004, 03:07 am »
When the models first arrived I was as puzzled as you with this apparently strange pricing.  Several times I asked Brian to his face for an explanation.  Never got a reasonable answer & doubt you'll ever read one posted here.  

My best guess is that his price is similar for both cabinets.  It might be harder & take longer for final assembly on the smaller 626R.  Stands add even more to the 626R price.  What the 626R gains in some areas, it gives up in others.  Cosmetically & emotionally, some audiophiles are just hooked on standmounts.  My 2c.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2004, 03:28 am »
Jim, does Brian ever mention wanting to smack you once and awhile? :P  :lol:   I never get tired of your irreverance, but I'm guessing Big B must have to bite his lip on occasion!

I've always wondered just this same thing:  my guess was that the "buzz" over the 626R meant that one of the models was sort of "subsidizing" the other, ie that he could sell the 626 for a bit more due to perceived value.  I imagine that both are killer values, though.