Transferring Playlists and/or Times Played

ZLS

Transferring Playlists and/or Times Played
« on: 3 Dec 2010, 08:25 am »
    If this question has been answered before, I apologize.  Just direct me to the specific thread. 
    I am switching my music server from an iMac to a Mac Mini.  I have all my music on an outboard HD, so copying that to a new outboard HD is something that I am all to familiar with. {You ain't a man until you've dealt with your first HD crash!}
    All my playlists, however are contained on my iMac internal HD.  Also the play count for each particular song.
    How do I go about transferring that data along with my music onto a new outboard HD.   
    Any and all help is appreciated. 

Thank You

srb

Re: Transferring Playlists and/or Times Played
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2010, 09:04 am »
1.  If you are moving to a different computer, and you have any DRM-protected downloaded/purchased files, you should  first Deauthorize the old computer (Store > Deauthorize This Computer) and then Authorize the new computer (Store >Authorize This Computer) after copying files and configuring iTunes on the new computer.

2.  All of the iTunes database files (iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Music Library.xml, iTunes Library Extras.itdb and iTunes Library Genius.itdb) are not stored in your Media Folder location, but instead are stored on your primary drive under your profile in /Users/username/Music/iTunes.  These files contain all the playlist, play count and other customization data.  There is also an Artwork folder that contains all album cover artwork that is not contained in the song files, so you want to copy all files and folders from that location to the same internal hard drive location on the new computer.

3.  Your external media drive on the new computer should be configured with the same drive letter as your old computer if possible.

The problem many have run into is that if the external media drive is disconnected, when iTunes is started and doesn't see the drive, it will change the iTunes Media Folder location to default to the internal hard drive location under your profile. So check under Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab that the media folder location is correct and pointing to the external drive.

Here is a thread that was recently resurrected that you can read through http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66286.0 and I'm sure there are other threads here on AudioCircle, as well as much information available on the Internet when searching for "iTunes Library".  But if you follow the above guidelines you should have a smooth transition.

Steve

Crimson

Re: Transferring Playlists and/or Times Played
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2010, 11:35 am »
Very nice, Steve.  :notworthy: