Building some HF absorbtion panels.....need advice on placement

bigbwb

Hello fellow AC members.

I have decided to treat my living room soon now that I have some new tower speakers on their way soon (Ascend Towers).  I plan to order several sheets of the OC703 in 2'x4' (2 inch thick) pieces and make wooden frames wrapped in GOM fabric.  I am pretty familiar with building the frames and etc since I constructed a theater room a while back using the same materials.

I do need some suggestions on size, placement, etc.  First off, after doing some research, I assume the OC703 2" material will be sufficient for treating the 1st and rear reflection points (which are my priorities)?

Secondly,  I will post pics of my room and need suggestions on placement and what size panels I can utilize (smaller the better).

I imagine I need to do the mirror trick and sit in my listening position and slide the mirror along the side walls.  How do I determine the rear wall reflections?  By looking at my room pics, you will see the back wall is a good 15ft behind my LP(couch) but there are two half walls that cut into the room on each side of the couch just behind me.  Suggestions?

Also, ignore the Christmas tree, normally that is gone and the couch next to it is slid closer to the fireplace.
Rear of room looking towards the LP

Front of room standing between the speakers looking back

Looking to rear again at right corner (same side christmas tree is on)

Looking to rear corner, left side this time.

Thanks,
Brandon

bigbwb

Bueler.....Bueler.....
:)

Anyway, I did the mirror trick and determined my first reflection point on the right wall.  I built a 3'x3' panel which will be hung diagonal just under the 2 hanging picture frames in the 2nd pic(with 2" OC 703). For the left wall, will the leather couch with a blanket and pillows be sufficient?

I also built 2 panels(about 30"x16") to hold 4" of OC 703 which will mount just below the two windows behind the speakers.  They will hopefully act as mini bass traps since the towers will be rear ported and aiming right at my panels.  Thoughts?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
I like the fancy eatin' table in the dining room with the mug holders in the corners, and a cool pot passer on the table to boot.  But where's the chairs?   
:scratch:

K Shep

Bueler.....Bueler.....
:)

Your room is a challenge.  Perhaps that's why you've not received a response from any of the pros that frequent these parts.

IMO there is a line between a nice living room where the family spends time, watches TV and listens to music.  And a well treated room where the appearance of acoustic treatments doesn't take away from the theme of the room.  Here in lies the challenge.

MaxCast

Dude, you got a pool table in your dinning room and the December issue of Playboy on the coffee table.  Good thing you hid the bong, he he, must be single.

I'd do the first reflection points as you said.  I don't think you have much of a problem with the rear.  Maybe the right rear wall.  Diffusion is usually recommended for the rear.  For imagining you want symmetry left and right, for bass you want absorption.  I would build a removable panel for the front of your TV.  You will really like that. Your room is so irregular in a good kind of way.  50% of the walls are open so you have built in diffusion, less parallel walls for nodes, etc.  I'd like to see a professional measurement of that room.

Pull those speakers out into the room too.  See how you like that.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
The wall to the left of the fireplace would also be a good candidate in general.

One of the first things I'd do is get the left speaker up on a matching stand and not on the sub.  This will not only image better and get rid of any boundary interaction from the large sub top, but will also let you move the sub around to find the best place for it to be the smoothest and integrate the best. 

Bryan

bigbwb

Your room is a challenge.  Perhaps that's why you've not received a response from any of the pros that frequent these parts.

IMO there is a line between a nice living room where the family spends time, watches TV and listens to music.  And a well treated room where the appearance of acoustic treatments doesn't take away from the theme of the room.  Here in lies the challenge.

I agree, one needs to balance practicality and aesthetics when dealing with a room thats not a dedicated one.

bigbwb

Dude, you got a pool table in your dinning room and the December issue of Playboy on the coffee table.  Good thing you hid the bong, he he, must be single.

I'd do the first reflection points as you said.  I don't think you have much of a problem with the rear.  Maybe the right rear wall.  Diffusion is usually recommended for the rear.  For imagining you want symmetry left and right, for bass you want absorption.  I would build a removable panel for the front of your TV.  You will really like that. Your room is so irregular in a good kind of way.  50% of the walls are open so you have built in diffusion, less parallel walls for nodes, etc.  I'd like to see a professional measurement of that room.

Pull those speakers out into the room too.  See how you like that.

Too funny,
I am surprised someone caught the PB issue on the coffee table:)  I think the other 11 issues are underneath.....ha!  The pool table has always been there back when I was truly a bachelor.  Now I am married and the wife has not minded the lack of the dinning room table and we both like the PB party jokes....almost forgot about the centerfolds;)
As for the room, I did treat the first reflection on the right wall and some small bass traps under the front windows.  I think beyond that, the room has to stay as is rather than over doing it aesthetically.  I am not anal enough to cover up the TV or anything at this point.

bigbwb

The wall to the left of the fireplace would also be a good candidate in general.

One of the first things I'd do is get the left speaker up on a matching stand and not on the sub.  This will not only image better and get rid of any boundary interaction from the large sub top, but will also let you move the sub around to find the best place for it to be the smoothest and integrate the best. 

Bryan

Bryan,
Ignore the current speaker setup, I have ascend towers on order which will sit along side the sub and to the right of the TV where my make shift speaker stand you see is located.  These are just make shift speakers while I am waiting.  As for sub location, I have it in a very "flat" spot.  I have taken measurements with my SPL meter with REW and adjusted accordingly using my BFD.