Narrow Den/Dining Room---Need Help with Speaker Placement! Please!

AuburnFan1990

We've got a long room (12' x 33'), which serves as a den and a dining room. The dining room takes up the left 13 feet of the room if you look at it from the street. The front door opens between the 2 spaces..with the den on the right. We just bought a 50" Plasma TV that sits on the right short wall on the den side. Front wall of den area has large picture window covering most of the den space. 2 chairs in front of window.  Back wall of den area is large couch with 2 end tables. They cover 11 1/2 feet of wall space. Doorway out of den on back right. Doorway to kitchen between spaces to left of front door.

Moving couch is not an option. Room too narrow...traffic flow...blocking doorway...or window... etc....

How do I configure speakers? I wanted a 7.1 system, but if there's no way to configure, could go with less.

HELP!  :scratch:

AuburnFan1990

Mr. Babcock,

Got any ideas?

Just wondering.

Bob

DTB300

A simple drawing might help people get a real idea of the space.

In a shared living space, sometimes you just have to place the speakers in certain areas and live with the consequences. 

Room treatments would help (not matter what the room situation is), but that too may not be an option.

Those of us who have to share a living space with our rigs just have to live with what we have.  While not optimal for our rigs, at least we have a room to listen to tunes in.

Johnny2Bad

Broadly speaking in a room like that you want the system on the long wall and sit opposite. In some cases it might help to have a second pair of speakers that shoot down the area; in other words on the short wall, to get good sound for, say, casual dining. If it were me I'd have them on the den side.

You can do 5.1/7.1 if you're willing to have ceiling mounted speakers for side/rear in the main system opposite your screen. By "ceiling mounted" I don't necessarily mean ceiling speakers; by way of an example you could try something like the Gallo spheres mounted a foot or whatever from the ceiling. An important consideration for some would be the overall appearance, so keep in mind whatever you choose, if it's hanging, you will see all sides of the speaker. A lot of speakers don't look that nice from behind.

The good news is the side/rears are not particularly critical response-wise so you shouldn't feel the need to worry about not covering them up somehow for asthetics. Even a lantern shade of the right kind might work. You are going to need to be creative if you want it to look good, but if you think outside the box, it's not impossible.

With both the long-wall speakers and if you choose, the supplementary ones mounted on the short wall for casual music, be wary of placing the speakers too far apart. For the main system, start with them 1/2 the distance apart vs your listening position (ie no more than 6' apart for a 12' listening distance, in practical terms the listening distance in your example room will be less so adjust accordingly), and if there's a hole in the middle, move them closer or toe them in, or both.

For the "casual listening" speakers, somewhat the same but even more critical because they will be throwing down such a long "tunnel", start with them at least as far from the long side walls as they are apart (ie on the short wall 'thirds"). Toeing them in probably won't help, so if you need to make adjustments, closer together is the way to go. Don't be surprised if they end up very close together, that's pretty common in my experience.

Should give you some things to think about and get started on. There is always a danger in assuming there are hard-and-fast rules, but I've had similar rooms and the solutions I've outlined worked well. If the room was a bit wider, you probably could get good results either on the short wall or midway along the long walls firing towards the den area, with your listening position on the short wall or in the middle of the room pointing towards the short den-side wall. Whether that's an option worth exploring is something you will have to figure out based on your own needs for traffic, appearance, etc.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
How do I configure speakers?

Maybe this will give you some ideas:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
The first thing I think of when hearing long/thin room is the Cardas placement method (http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup). But I must admit that a room drawing with furniture placement, etc. is desirable for a full understanding.