Upgrading Fuses

Mass. Wine Guy

Upgrading Fuses
« on: 28 Nov 2010, 05:26 pm »
I've read that upgrading the fuses in a power amp or other gear can improve performance. There are various "higher quality" fuses on the market. Is this all just hype or does it really help?

Thank you.

sts9fan

Re: Upgrading Fuses
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2010, 05:31 pm »
I would say $50 fuses are nither cheap or cheerful.

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2010, 05:45 pm »
I would say you CAN get better performance from high end fuses, but I have personally had enough negative experience with them for 2 lifetimes. Every single one I have bought has blown. Some because I screwed up, but most blew for absolutely no reason whatsoever in equipment that never blows fuses otherwise. I will probably not ever buy one again.

That said a good compromise IMO seems to be the Radioshack slowblow fuses. Depending on your components this may be a good or a bad idea, but I did extensive comparison and I found that while not the best of the bunch they were not bad! I found generally that fast blow fuses don't sound so great.

So go down to the shack and get some slowblows!

Edit: I have tried Acme audios which are great, Furutechs which are better. I found the Radioshack slows were almost as good as the Acmes.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2010, 08:06 pm »
I've tried only two and they have yet to blow. I've read where everyday fuses can vary greatly spec-wise but the high end ones blow exactly when they should so you should get one with a slightly higher value, to be on the safe side. Mine were replacements for a Chinese integrated that I'm using until my Burson arrives. Although made for the American market, I was told that the values on the circuit board, as well as the fuses themselves, were of a different rating than what we use here, at least for one. I was sent one with the same rating as the original and one with a different rating and so far, so good.
Oh, the sound did improve. It took 4 days with the tuner on 24/7, but it took it up a few notches.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2010, 08:49 pm »
I would say $50 fuses are nither cheap or cheerful.
+1

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2010, 09:18 pm »
I'm curious about Isoclean fuses. The fuse in my Adcom amp is a 5 amp with just a single wire strand inside it, not a spring. Is it ok to replace it with a slow blow type fuse?

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2010, 09:30 pm »
Replace it with the exact same value as the original your taking out including either fast or slow blow fuse. Find out what that original is.

MWG, weren't you the one who was poo pooing the EVS Goround Enhancers?

I though about doing the fuse thing too, but naww, not for that money!

D

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm »
When replacing fuses always use a fuse with the exact rating as the manuf used. It will definitely void a warranty if you don't. If out of warranty, as I'm sure your Adcom is, have a fire extinguisher handy.  :icon_lol:

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2010, 11:22 pm »
I've replaced the fuses in several pieces of gear over the past few years without any problems. The sound improvements have been easily noticeable each time (sometimes strikingly so).

The ones I've used are the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses; bought from The Cable Company (they discount).

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:10 am »
When replacing fuses always use a fuse with the exact rating as the manuf used. It will definitely void a warranty if you don't. If out of warranty, as I'm sure your Adcom is, have a fire extinguisher handy.  :icon_lol:

Good point! But for a dude like me I've already voided every warranty on every piece of gear I own!  :lol: oh except for the DIY stuff I made, but if something goes wrong with that I kick my own ass.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:24 am »
Mass Wine Guy
Before you spend serious $$$ on audiophool fuses...spend small change on plumbers teflon tape and some Caig products.

Wrap the fuse tightly in the teflon tape and clean the ends and fuseholders well with Caig contact enhancers.

I did - a subtle benefit was noticed from it and the Caig stuff you may already own in your audiophool arsenal.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40622.0

John

decal

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:28 am »
What does wrapping a fuse with teflon tape do? Just curious. :scratch:

Pez

« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:30 am »
Oh, didn't thechairguy tell you? He owns stock in 3M Teflon division. :P

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:31 am »
What does wrapping a fuse with teflon tape do? Just curious. :scratch:

It damps the glass....and teflon tape leaves no residue nor is conductive (do not use copper tape for this experiment :lol:) . 

So, teflon tape is cheap and good for the purpose of seeing about any benefit in upgrading to pricey fuses.  It's not conclusive of course...but it is cheap  :idea:

John

decal

« Reply #14 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:40 am »
Oh, didn't thechairguy tell you? He owns stock in 3M Teflon division. :P

A sensible answer. :lol:

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:10 am »
As creative as Johns solution is it doesn't address internal damping. The problem is vibration is introduced via the fuse wire itself. The idea behind most of these high end fuses is that they dampen out internal vibration. Something that Teflon tape cannot do. Though I am willing to bet Teflon tape does improve the overall sound quality of most if not all fuses!

silverlight

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2010, 05:05 am »
I'll jump in a little late and say that changing fuses in my system had a remarkable effect.  When a couple blew (they were faulty and were replaced after a week's of usage), my system lost liveliness, HF extension and some depth.  I had a not so good feeling in the stomach listening and waited for the new fuses (and sure enough, the improvement was back).  I tried several brands, and the best by a good margin in my setup (both my speaker and headphone setups) were the Furutechs.  There have been some very positive comments about the new Hifi tuning "supreme" versions that were just released.  Caig cleaning (mentioned above) and QuickSilverGold application is another tweak that's worthwhile to the fuse ends.  Of course the best fuse is no fuse....

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2010, 04:11 pm »
 Has anyone tried magnetic circuit breakers in lieu of the upgraded fuses ? ETA and shurter make them.from $24 to $65 [ ETA German made]. Larger contacts, tight contact . No fuse holder, no glass, no tiny wire. I have tried no fuse with soldered quality wire and heard an improvement but do want to leave it unsafe so the breaker instead. Makes sense ,no ? Yes ?

charles

turkey

« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2010, 09:05 pm »

That said a good compromise IMO seems to be the Radioshack slowblow fuses. Depending on your components this may be a good or a bad idea, but I did extensive comparison and I found that while not the best of the bunch they were not bad! I found generally that fast blow fuses don't sound so great.

So go down to the shack and get some slowblows!

It sounds like you're recommending that people replace fast blow fuses with slow blow ones. That kind of thing could easily get people hurt or killed.

kenreau

« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:19 pm »
Charles,

I have wondered the same thing, why don't manufacturers use top quality circuit breakers in lieu of the cheap ass fuses & assembly. 

Are any of these magnetic circuit breakers a drop in replacement / retrofit? or more suitable in a mod DIY project?

Thx
Ken

Has anyone tried magnetic circuit breakers in lieu of the upgraded fuses ? ETA and shurter make them.from $24 to $65 [ ETA German made]. Larger contacts, tight contact . No fuse holder, no glass, no tiny wire. I have tried no fuse with soldered quality wire and heard an improvement but do want to leave it unsafe so the breaker instead. Makes sense ,no ? Yes ?

charles