Are you ready for some REAL football? Barcelona v Real Madrid

chadh

Since the World Cup, my household has become fascinated with Spanish soccer.  It helps that the two best teams in the world are playing in La Liga (IMHO), and that they both play such an appealing brand of football. 

Even so, the weekly drama involving Barcelona and Real Madrid has been surprising.  I've never known a competition to be so decidedly a two-horse race from the outset, so that every result every week, no matter who the on-field opponents, is viewed as a blow against the top-of-the-table rival.

This is the first year I've watched any Spanish football, and so I have no deep-seated allegiances.  But I have to admit to a growing passion for Barcelona based wholly on the style of football they play.  It's simply breathtaking.  So there are no prizes for guessing who I'm picking in tomorrow's El Clasico.  How about you?  And why?

Chad

adamaley

Well the El-Clasico, as they call it, looks like it's going to have a lot of fireworks this season. Finally, Real have a coach who has put them in contention. Unfortunately, he is a coach I greatly dislike. Barcelona play good football, but their games are pretty dull spectacles for that exact same reason. Also, they have been the bane of my team, Arsenal, after beating us in the 2006 Champs League final, last years quarterfinal, and the relentless poaching of our best player, Fabregas.

When it comes down to it, I really don't care who wins. I just have a slight yearning to see Barcelona's dominance come to an end for the sake of La Liga. Also, my mind says Mourinho, who has had success unhinging Barca (see last year's Champs League) will suss them out once again.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2010, 11:09 pm by adamaley »

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Hi Chad!

Great to see a post on Futbol! and that you and your family are into soccer now.

I am a Madrid guy, in terms of a preference between the two cities (and not teams).

Lean a bit towards Barca in terms of futbol, mainly a timing thing from when I was living over there, but enjoy the game for what it is, irrespective of who is on the pitch. The politics and drama are wonderful side-shows as well, magnitudes higher than what goes on in professional sports, in the US.

Nothing like being there and attending in person. Or the night out in the city of the La Liga Campeo'n, when the team is crowned, especially if it is decided late in the season.

Highly recommend making the trip for a game.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
I hope those soccer fans didn't pick up any bad habits....  :duh:  :lol:

chadh

Nothing like being there and attending in person. Or the night out in the city of the La Liga Campeo'n, when the team is crowned, especially if it is decided late in the season.

Highly recommend making the trip for a game.

I'll keep that in mind.  Unfortunately, until I win the lottery, I'm not sure the wife would be all that impressed if I announced, "Honey, do you know where the passports are?  I thought I'd just take the kids out to the Camp Nou for a soccer game.  We'll be back in a few days."

My two boys, however, would think all their Christmases had come at once.

Chad

JoshK

What time do they play?  One reason why I'd consider getting cable to see the English Premier league and La Liga. 

chadh

Starts at 3:00pm on the east coast of the US.

You can catch it online, through ESPN3 (in English or in Spanish): http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/soccer-futbol

Chad

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
The game is also available on GolTV HD if your provider carries it. Ch. 426 on DirecTv.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

chadh

Wow.

Nobody saw a 5 - 0 Barcelona victory coming.  But that was just about the most complete demolition of a team with a credible claim to be best in the world that you could possibly imagine.  Real Madrid threatened the Barcelona goal only once, really, and looked like they were being toyed with for much of the second half.

I just love the way Barcelona plays soccer.

Chad

Wayner

The reason kids play soccer is so they don't have to watch it.

What a horrible (sport)? Don't forget to bring your guns!!!!

Wayner :D

adamaley

Re: Are you ready for some REAL football? Barcelona v Real Madrid
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:00 am »
Wow, What an annihilation. Completely unexpected. I've never seen a Jose Mourinho team completely and utterly outclassed. I still feel Real will win the league, but Barcelona did make a statement today. Top notch display. Barca seem to have a lot of followers. I was at Brit's pub in downtown Minneapolis and it felt like I was in Catalan central....nice atmosphere...especially for being in the Midwest.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:44 am »
Too bad it was so one sided. But an awesome display and treat for Barca fans. Wonder if it will downsize Mourinho's ego and behaviour a bit, for the better even if it is short lived (IMO).

Chad, can you imagine being their for the post game celebrations. An Absolute Party. How did your boys enjoy the game?

Adamaley, Great that you got to see it with some fans, next best thing, right? BTW, my mother lives in St. Paul, is Brit's Pub worth a visit, when I visit?

- David.

Delacroix

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:52 am »
Agree - it was an incredible display -- but I do wonder if Jose has RM playing a defensive formation that they are not yet ready to do -- Ramos had a torrid time with Villa but the back four just looked so uncoordinated. I doubt it will change The Special One's ego....but he's good value for a quote or two yet and the season is young.......good to see a real sport discussed here :)