OMG, and Orientation

John Casler

OMG, and Orientation
« on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:37 pm »
As early reports come in regarding the OMG subs and upgrades I have to make sure and keep you abreast of the latest.

As most of you know, the OMG option or upgrade includes the TC SOUNDS active Woofer Driver(s) and the Big BUMP PR.

One thing for sure you cannot fight PHYSICS!!!!

What I mean by that is early reports on the smallest and lightest sub to use the OMG tell us that you may want to add additional mass to the sub, or reorient it to accomadate the increased POWER and LOAD created.

That is; the Drivers are SO ACTIVE at higher SPLS, that the sub actually moves around.  Now even though the sub is well over 100# (with the OMG Driver), the power of the 15" drivers pushing such a huge volume of air so quickly will create reactive forces that can actually cause the sub to MOVE.  And I mean MOVE.

So there are a couple simple options if you, in fact play your sub at those levels:

1) ADD MASS (weight) 

Now I add mass to all my SUBS anyhow, but if you elect to go OMG it is an even better idea.  I use Rubber coated Olympic Barbell plates and I use up to 100#.  They look like this:

Even though I sell these in my "other" business, you can also find them at Wallmart HERE

You can also use Rubber Coated Dumbbells as below:

Not all will have these types of plates, or find then unacceptable for the "design commitee", so you may need to be a bit more creative.

Another "MASS" option is using bags of sand, lead or steel shot, kitty litter, etc.  A simple solution is placing the bag in a nice pillow case and placing it on top of the sub.

2) RE-ORIENT
The other option if you are experiencing too much "movement" is to RE-ORIENT the direction the sub fires.

Instead of the active woofer firing at the listener, you reorient the sub so that the active woofer is firing to the ceiling, and the PR is firing toward the front wall "away" from the listener.

This effectively then uses the floor for the OMG woofer to act against.  Firing toward the celiing will not affect the amount of bass you will experience nor the Dynamics or Impact of that bass.

This is the simplest and less expensive route, if you need to address this issue.  Now this is not a fault in the SUB design, it is simply a matter of PHYSICS.  VMPS Subs are already some of the "heaviest" you will find.  Our lightest sub is 95#, when the OMG and BB PR are added it exceeds 100#.  Our Heaviest is well over 350#.

But physics is physics, and you need either friction, mass, or direct opposing force to match forces as you increase things :green:

When you add the OMG driver, these forces can be CONSIDERABLE :o
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2010, 03:03 am by John Casler »