To Jim & Dennis: Variations on Soundscape?

nyc_paramedic

To Jim & Dennis: Variations on Soundscape?
« on: 25 Nov 2010, 07:04 pm »
Dear J & D,

Seeing how the Soundscape is a modular design, has any thought been given to offering a smaller version of your Soundscape 10/12? Something with a woofer that is smaller than 10", or perhaps two smaller woofers?

I might have the funds to upgrade later next year and I have been hearing many wonderful things about the Soundscape's mid-range driver and tweeter, but I don't necessarily want or need a speaker that digs as low as a Soundscape 10.

Some of my reasons are:

- I live in a city apartment and don't want to disturb the neighbors with very deep bass.

- The majority of the material (classical chamber, folk, vocals, some indie pop) I listen to usually does not have bass that low.

- I prefer simpler and lower wattage amps, and might not have the funds to upgrade speakers *and* an amplifier. Also, might two smaller woofers be an easier load to drive, like my HT-2TL's?

Thanks for the consideration.

cujobob

Re: To Jim & Dennis: Variations on Soundscape?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2010, 07:16 pm »
I'd be possibly interested in a 2-way monitor version or an MTM sealed monitor to mate with subs.  I think they'd make a lot more sense in some ways as more costs could be cut on the actual cabinet and such (although the MTM would have additional expensive drivers).

I understand where you're coming from though...moreso about gaining efficiency rather than saving money.

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2010, 07:58 pm »
The short answer is...stay tuned...

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:57 pm »
I'd be possibly interested in a 2-way monitor version or an MTM sealed monitor to mate with subs.  I think they'd make a lot more sense in some ways as more costs could be cut on the actual cabinet and such (although the MTM would have additional expensive drivers).

I understand where you're coming from though...moreso about gaining efficiency rather than saving money.
I'm certainly not working on anything now, other than some designs I'm experimenting with just to build for friends.  And they will be ugly.  You can't do an SS-type 2-way with small midwoofers.  That would mess up the bass--the rear wave would cancel the front in the deeper bass frequencies.  It only really works with a dedicated midrange.  And if you go sealed, you've lost a main feature of the SS design.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2010, 11:46 pm »
heheh.....does this question sound familiar, Jim? :wink:

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2010, 01:16 am »

- Jim

Me suspects something in the neighborhood of this - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88086.0
 8)

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2010, 01:56 am »

- Jim

Thank you Jim. It will be very interesting to see what you come up with.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:38 pm »

Jim,

I just ordered these Quicksilver Silver 88 Mono amps: http://www.quicksilveraudio.com/products/Silver%2088.html

I'll be using these with my HT-2 TL's now, but this is the type of amplifier that I would like to use with whatever you having cooking, as far as a smaller, more efficient Soundscape.

Sincerely,

Nick

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:45 pm »
Just buy a second pair of Quicksilvers and bi-amp!!!   :green:

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:28 am »
Hi,

I'd be interested in a variation of a HT3 speaker using the accuton midrange driver.

Regards

Rod

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:11 am »
Rod -

I don't see any reason that could not be done.

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:38 pm »
Thank you Jim. It will be very interesting to see what you come up with.

This will be very nice and could fill the void in the cost structure for those wanting the ultimate but their wallets saying otherwise.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:54 pm »
This will be very nice and could fill the void in the cost structure for those wanting the ultimate but their wallets saying otherwise.

Yup. I'd want the "ultimate" midrange, but don't necessarily need "ultimate bass".

Also, charmeci posted a link to another thread with a picture of the Soundscape center channel.  It doesn't look like it has an open baffle midrange, so I'm hoping that whatever Jim has in mind will be as true to the Soundscapes 12/10's midrange and tweeter layout as possible.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2010, 02:20 pm »
Yup. I'd want the "ultimate" midrange, but don't necessarily need "ultimate bass".

Also, charmeci posted a link to another thread with a picture of the Soundscape center channel.  It doesn't look like it has an open baffle midrange, so I'm hoping that whatever Jim has in mind will be as true to the Soundscapes 12/10's midrange and tweeter layout as possible.

Doesn't make sense to have an open back midrange on a center channel speaker that may be stuffed up against a wall or in a cabinet.  Also consider the sound being less directional for that duty and it might get weird.  Know what I mean?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2010, 02:38 pm »
Doesn't make sense to have an open back midrange on a center channel speaker that may be stuffed up against a wall or in a cabinet.  Also consider the sound being less directional for that duty and it might get weird.  Know what I mean?

Yup. What I really meant to say was that, I hope the Soundscape 7(?) keeps as true to the 12/10's as possible.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2010, 02:50 pm »
Yup. What I really meant to say was that, I hope the Soundscape 7(?) keeps as true to the 12/10's as possible.
[/quote

Based on testing out that center, if it were stood up as a full range speaker it would be pretty darned sweet.

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:12 pm »
Obviously, one would think about a smaller SS with an 8' woofer -

but I keep imagining an HT2-TL type enclosure with the RAAL/Accutron and an 8" woofer.

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2010, 07:02 pm »

Talking to Jim it's my understanding that it will not have the open back design of the SoundScape.  It sounds like it will be a more conventional cabinet design.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2010, 02:04 pm »
Talking to Jim it's my understanding that it will not have the open back design of the SoundScape.  It sounds like it will be a more conventional cabinet design.

I was hoping for the same polymer, open baffle enclosure of the 12/10 for the mid and tweeter, but with the two 7" aluminum cones of the Soundscape C in the lower enclosure.

I won't be ready for an upgrade until sometime in 2011, so I guess I'll hold off on calling Jim until I'm ready.

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2010, 02:57 pm »
I was hoping for the same polymer, open baffle enclosure of the 12/10 for the mid and tweeter, but with the two 7" aluminum cones of the Soundscape C in the lower enclosure.

I won't be ready for an upgrade until sometime in 2011, so I guess I'll hold off on calling Jim until I'm ready.

This was exactly my thought when I e-mail Jim about this very subject a few months ago.  My impression from my e-mail exchange with Jim was that the issue with using the same upper enclosure is cost.  It seems even with the smaller woofer the cost would still be close to the SS10.