New 4B SST² Amp failing!

mkaiser

Re: New 4B SST² Amp failing!
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2010, 09:23 pm »
[I've had other unrelated poltergeist activity in my home in the past. So I think this is the cause and has nothing to do with the BCD-1. Though Gremlins prefer the superior electronics as it makes it much easier for them to manipulate.  Logged
/quote]

Perhaps you should give TAPS a call.

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:24 am »
Hi Folks,

We are having a meeting on this tomorrow and I have been in touch with our distributor in Australia. So far it seems to be limited to some 240 volt 4B SST2 units.  Will update you as soon as we have some solid answers.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:37 am »
Cool. Sounds like a plan, James.

qscott

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:48 am »
Lovely James, look forward to hearing your findings and the outcome.

larevoj

« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:57 am »
Thanks James...hope to hear from you soon!  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:01 pm »
Hi Folks,

In some 4B's we used a voltage sensing circuit that required the following procedure for turn on.

IMPORTANT AMPLIFIER INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

When installing the amplifier: "BEFORE YOU PLUG THE POWER CORD INTO THE WALL" make sure:

1. The amplifiers rear panel circuit breaker must be in the "ON" position.

2. If the Circuit breaker is off. Unplug the power cord turn on the circuit breaker and plug the power cord back in.

We no longer use this voltage sensing circuit as it was confusing to our customers. The idea was that unless the amp got the required voltage it would not turn on. This may explain some of the issues where it did not start at first and later was OK. I will continue to investigate futher.

james

vegasdave

« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:36 pm »
Cool, sounds good.

Napalm

« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:05 pm »

We no longer use this voltage sensing circuit as it was confusing to our customers. The idea was that unless the amp got the required voltage it would not turn on. This may explain some of the issues where it did not start at first and later was OK. I will continue to investigate futher.

Makes sense. However I'm pretty sure that in my case the circuit breaker was ON all the time.

I still suspect that there is some capacitor that once discharged completely could cause some weird behavior at startup.

Now don't get me wrong I don't expect a "recall" or "repair". I wouldn't send my 4B in just for this.

But it would be interesting to have it explained so after I leave it unplugged during vacation I should know how to properly start it.

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #28 on: 2 Dec 2010, 07:56 pm »
So... any findings so far?

nap.

Napalm

« Reply #29 on: 4 Dec 2010, 02:34 am »
 :wtf:

vegasdave

« Reply #30 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:06 am »
Relax. I'm sure James is working on it!

Napalm

« Reply #31 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:20 am »
 :wine:

vegasdave

« Reply #32 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:53 am »
haha. What are you drinking? Jack Daniel's? Vodka?

vengky

« Reply #33 on: 4 Dec 2010, 11:40 am »
My new 4bsst2 also died on me. One evening it just would not power on. Had it for less than 3 months and its a 240v version. My dealer got it repaired. I am a bit concerned since it was a new unit hope this does not recur. Other than that i am loving it paired with LB1i Signature.

larevoj

« Reply #34 on: 4 Dec 2010, 01:47 pm »
My new 4bsst2 also died on me. One evening it just would not power on. Had it for less than 3 months and its a 240v version. My dealer got it repaired. I am a bit concerned since it was a new unit hope this does not recur. Other than that i am loving it paired with LB1i Signature.

What is the serial number of your unit? Not sure if it has a serial number range affected  :scratch:

vengky

« Reply #35 on: 4 Dec 2010, 02:06 pm »

Napalm

« Reply #36 on: 4 Dec 2010, 04:17 pm »
haha. What are you drinking? Jack Daniel's? Vodka?

Port wine and listening to Diana Krall.

Nap.  :xmas:

vegasdave

« Reply #37 on: 4 Dec 2010, 09:56 pm »

Cool.

BrysTony

« Reply #38 on: 5 Dec 2010, 01:49 am »

Doesn't get much better than that ...

jaxwired

« Reply #39 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:31 am »

Hi Folks,

In some 4B's we used a voltage sensing circuit that required the following procedure for turn on.

IMPORTANT AMPLIFIER INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

When installing the amplifier: "BEFORE YOU PLUG THE POWER CORD INTO THE WALL" make sure:

1. The amplifiers rear panel circuit breaker must be in the "ON" position.

2. If the Circuit breaker is off. Unplug the power cord turn on the circuit breaker and plug the power cord back in.

james
That's how mine works and it did indeed confuse me.  I never noticed the documentation noting this design.  I never expected that the rear amp switch should be on when power is first connected.  That seemed the opposite of what would be appropriate.  AND I did think my amp was dead on arrival because of this.  However, my dealer figured out the problem for me.  Now that I have this explanation, it makes sense though...