New 4B SST² Amp failing!

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
Re: New 4B SST² Amp failing!
« Reply #40 on: 5 Dec 2010, 11:45 am »
I will continue to investigate futher.

james

Please do, James. I'm planning to upgrade my 4B ST during 2011. Seems I should buy it in Chile and then import to Uruguay ... sending it back and forth to Chile would be rather expensive / annoying.

TIA

Fernando.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:42 pm »
Hi Folks,

Still looking into this but so far engineering seems to think it may be an issue of a Voltage-setting potentiometer set incorrectly. The amps that are having issues all seem to be in Australia where the Voltage is 240, different from Europe, (220-230V) and North America at 120V.

We are investigating further but the 'failures' may not be failures but just the amplifiers are not starting up on the 240V line when it's off by a few Volts. The adjustment may clear it up.

james

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #42 on: 6 Dec 2010, 10:05 pm »
James,

Being an EE myself, I think your engineers have found the gremlin. :)
Hi Folks,

Still looking into this but so far engineering seems to think it may be an issue of a Voltage-setting potentiometer set incorrectly. The amps that are having issues all seem to be in Australia where the Voltage is 240, different from Europe, (220-230V) and North America at 120V.

We are investigating further but the 'failures' may not be failures but just the amplifiers are not starting up on the 240V line when it's off by a few Volts. The adjustment may clear it up.

james

Napalm

« Reply #43 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:46 pm »
James,

Being an EE myself, I think your engineers have found the gremlin. :)

Sounds more like Bryston engineers were too optimistic about EnergyAustralia ability to keep the supplied voltage in a certain range  :green:

Nap.

peterjpromnitz

« Reply #44 on: 8 Dec 2010, 08:12 am »
Sounds more like Bryston engineers were too optimistic about EnergyAustralia ability to keep the supplied voltage in a certain range  :green:

Nap.

I doubt that is true, ie, that variable voltage was the cause. I had my 4bsst2 plugged into a power conditioner delivering 240 volts +/- 1% and still had the problem.

vengky

« Reply #45 on: 7 Jan 2011, 10:49 am »
My new 4bsst2 also died on me. One evening it just would not power on. Had it for less than 3 months and its a 240v version. My dealer got it repaired. I am a bit concerned since it was a new unit hope this does not recur. Other than that i am loving it paired with LB1i Signature.

It happened again :(  couple nights back after a listening session I powered off the amp and saw a flash of light (greenish shade) thru the top grill. After that it would not power on. Luckily it did not blow the tweeters. The BDP/BDA combo is being delivered tonite. The dealer is bring in a loaner 4B. I hope they can resolve the issue so that it does not repeat... Its starting to give me some concern whether my unit is a lemon.

Napalm

« Reply #46 on: 7 Jan 2011, 03:03 pm »
[...] saw a flash of light (greenish shade) thru the top grill. [...] Its starting to give me some concern whether my unit is a lemon.

Given the color of the flash, I'd say it's a lime.  :green:

vengky

« Reply #47 on: 7 Jan 2011, 05:25 pm »
  :icon_lol:

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
« Reply #48 on: 7 Jan 2011, 06:51 pm »
Vengky,

I am sorry to hear that, but it's really nice that your dealer is reacting promptly.
Please let us know how are the things and also your new digital combo.

All the best,
Oz

vengky

« Reply #49 on: 8 Jan 2011, 01:52 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Oz. The dealer said it might be the rectifier or something like that. Wasn't paying too much attention coz I was listening to the combo and being amazed how great it sounds straight out of the box. I wasn't the only one who was impressed. Another mate who was hearing it for the first time was similarly impressed.   

qscott

« Reply #50 on: 6 May 2011, 11:40 pm »
Hi All,

Been offline for a while but just wanted to let you know that my dealer has taken care of the faulty amp by replacing it with a brand new one.
James thanks for looking into this and getting it sorted at the source, the replacement 4B is better sounding than the old one so smiles all around.

Cheers,
Q

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #51 on: 7 May 2011, 08:34 pm »
 :thumb:

lanchile

« Reply #52 on: 7 May 2011, 09:43 pm »
Happy ending!  :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #53 on: 8 May 2011, 11:02 pm »
I have a 4b st. What are the main differences from the newer 4b sst2 ?  thanks... newbie?. Thanks.

math-geek

« Reply #54 on: 13 May 2011, 02:25 am »
I have researched this myself.  They are completely different amplifiers from the power supply to the output devices and implementation.  I am sure James can supply you with much more info. than I. I have recently acquired a 4B ST and am thrilled beyond words with its performance.  The noise floor of Bryston is so astonishingly low it is nigh unbelievable!