Is my 9B-SST getting sick?

23bw

Is my 9B-SST getting sick?
« on: 24 Nov 2010, 10:15 pm »
Hello fellow Bryston owners,

The the past weeks, my 5 channel 9B-SST has failed to power up on two occasions.   Each time the problem was resolved in less than 2 hours by me manipulating the power side switches and power to the amp.   My 9B-SST is remotely powered up by a SP1.7.

The first time I noticed this was a few weeks ago when I turned on my SP1.7 to watch a DVD.  After a few moments of trying to figure out why there was no sound, I noticed the 5 LEDs on the 9B-SST front panel were all DARK.   First things I checked were the power cord and remote turn on able.  Both were secure and intact.   Then I slid the  External Turn-On swith from Remote -> Local.   Then tried to turn on the AMP using the front membrane switch.  That did nothing.   Next I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in.  Then tried the front panel switch again.  This time the AMP made that power surge sound like it was starting up.   All 5 LEDs went RED for about 1 second which it typically does during power-up.   But instead of turning GREEN, all the LEDs  went dark again.   I repeated the power cord sequence a few times to no avail.   I didn't have more time so I came back to trouble shoot this an hour later.   To make a longer story short, I eventually got the amp to turn on by unplugging the power cord a few more times and toggling the power switch on the rear near the power cord.   The amp has been flawless for the 3 years I've owned it so I just dismissed it as a fluke.

Well then just a few days ago, the problem happened again.  The symptoms were exactly the same.  This time I had done some prior research on this board for similar problems.   I learned Brystons might not power up if there is a low voltage condition.  Weather was storming outside so I suspected there could be an issue with the power.   So the first thing I did was to connect a volt meter to wall AC outlet.  The meter read a steady 117 VAC.   Then I started to disconnect the power cord and try to power the amp up using the front switch.   Like before the LEDs would go RED each time and then all go dark.   This time I got the amp to power up in about 15 minutes of troubleshooting.   

Thank you for reading all this.  Based on your experiences with Bryston, do you think my 9B-SST needs servicing?  I just hate dealing with these intermittent issues. 

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Is my 9B-SST getting sick?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2010, 11:08 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi

Yes I would say the start up circuit needs looking at - please email this to Mike Pickett at Bryston service and he will assist you.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

23bw

Re: Is my 9B-SST getting sick?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2010, 11:26 pm »
Appreciate the quick reply James.  I've forwarded this report to Mike.

Thank you.