Tripath: Death Knell for the Vacuum Tube

Dmason

« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2004, 03:12 am »
The person who turned me onto the Tripath sound two years ago, was going off about it on the phone, describing the sound as a "lens," -that had drawn in his curiosity, he noticed this sonic anomaly, even though he first was hearing it through shitty "personal monitors" in a noisy pro audio shop. He implored me to order one, and based on his unusually excited state, I did so.

'Tis true, but IMHO, the Tripath sonic signature allows one to see into the music in its very own way. It manages to perk up my ears abit more than the tubes, it is a "curious" sound......I have been switching back and forth between 20 watt Tripath and a very good quality 30 watt EL34 amp, using some outstanding Eminence 12" co-axials, and the effect is similar, but wholly unique to each. Sound about right tubeheads?

cjr888

« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2004, 03:43 am »
Quote from: Dmason
The person who turned me onto the Tripath sound two years ago, was going off about it on the phone, describing the sound as a "lens," -that had drawn in his curiosity, he noticed this sonic anomaly, even though he first was hearing it through shitty "personal monitors" in a noisy pro audio shop. He implored me to order one, and based on his unusually excited state, I did so.

'Tis true, but IMHO, the Tripath sonic signature allows one to see into the music in its very own way. It manages to perk up my ea ...

Have you tried using the DACkit -> DACT -> Powerwave -> Open Baffles?

Curious as based on your components, this sounds like it might provide you with even more of a lens per se.

Your comments pretty much mirror my thoughts of having the Acoustic Reality EAR2 (ICEPower) and a little 2A3 in the house around the same time.  Granted I was obviously using different speakers with each -- 250w vs. 3.5w, but little SETs and digital amplifiers seem to be my cup of tea.  

The ICEPower amplifier scrubbed the lens clean, and given a good source, popped out and seperated detail like no other, yet the presentation, at least with my sources were smooth -- basically with good source and material, the closest I got to things sounding real.  Goosebumps.

With the little 2A3, I got a good dose of detail, I got a clear picture, but its more like someone slipping you something just before you hit play -- a female vocal doesn't just sound like she's in the room, she also puts a little bit of a spell on you.  You're not just in awe that she's singing in your room, you're falling for her.

Sounds like the tripath signature is somewhere in between...  You do fall for her, but not quite as hard as with tubes -- but close, but when you see her, she comes in crystal clear.

Sorry for the crap analogy, but its the best way I can put it.  We've all heard the tubes and emotion and inner detail bit over and over, but for the digital amplifiers, it seems to be a great balance.  You don't 'think' as much, but every little thing is still presented to you..

Has anyone out there compared good OTLs with good digital amplifiers?

Dmason

« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2004, 04:16 am »
I am actually using the Nixon DACkit with the Joule Electra, the PW, and into the Eminence 12" co-ax's which are mounted to an open baffle 30X22" and I can tell you that despite the unusual collection of stuff, with wildly varying price points from $3800 preamp to $90 amp, this is one of the best combinations I have yet hit on, in many, many arrangements over my audiophool career.

I can say the PW to me sounds better, (no news there,) possibly because it will have an absolute goddam iron grip on the 12" speaker. Idling along with the 97db speakers, the detail, glowing palpability thing, the --I wanna screw Diana Krall because she has her tongue in my ear thing--, it's all there. Piano, arguably THE most difficult instrument to reproduce, requires fast attack transients, and POWER, done so right here. Also, the tube crunch of Billy Gibbons' Les Paul/Marshall amp, or the insane slam of Chris Squire's jackhammer Rickenbacker is all there, and I can crack the walls of my house with the PowerWave. In other words, it is HIGHLY versatile, given efficient speakers. The EL34 just isn't as nimble...Full range speaker is best, because of the level of bass/speaker control, hence ambience, inner detail, and, particularly, ...soundstage. It is quite simply better at being an amplifier, than the EL34.

Whether one prefers one or the other, is purely subjective.  The PW is a fantastic analogue for those who are not inclined to blow six grand and more on Art Audio and Joule pre's, etc. I have, and do not miss them, not really.....A truly fantastic gift to us all. One more thing, mine is behaving identically to the ZR, in that now the sound quality and coherency is jacking up incrementally. Little steps upward, as it all settles in...the evolution continues.

eico1

« Reply #23 on: 12 Mar 2004, 04:22 am »
Quote from: Dmason
--I wanna screw Diana Krall because she has her tongue in my ear thing--,  ...

even after becoming Mrs Costello? He was fun on Leno...

EchiDna

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2004, 02:15 am »
I split off the OT PC transport discussion into a new thread for clarity.
sorry if that opffends anyone (PM if you would like to discuss)