Squeezebox Duet receiver cutting out

yukiginger

Squeezebox Duet receiver cutting out
« on: 22 Nov 2010, 06:42 pm »
I am hoping one of you can help me narrow my search on this forum or the squeezebox forum, or better yet - help me solve the problem. I have two Duets and I've tried switching the receivers but I get the same problem. Also, this began to be more of an issue when I went to a new router - a Netgear Rangemax N (I had a previous N router also).

What happens is my signal drops (receiver light goes to yellow)  sometime between 5 minutes of music and a half hour or so. Now, in my diagnostics accesses in my remote I can see that the wireless signal sometimes drops to 80% or so. Is this enough? What's the minimum?  I can reset fairly easily by pulling the power and powering back up, but then this only lasts so long. (I have a Kodak unit streaming wirelessly also that seems to work fine.)

I think I'm running a pretty new version of the software but I'm not certain (and I'm not home to check). I've reset the router and the controllers multiple times.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I can narrow my troubleshooting search.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

MarkG

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Squeezebox Duet receiver cutting out
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2010, 06:51 pm »
I have a Duet and find using it wired via ethernet cable from my router to be the best way, if its possible I'd say go that route until you can track down the exact cause, when mine goes offline I get the Blue Light you mention Yellow and I'm not sure what that one signals. They are finicky at best for sure even with it wired once every couple months it will just go offline and I have to reset it via Perl on my laptop as I have no controller just the receiver and ipeng on an ipod touch to control it. Hopefully the unit that keeps bailing on you is close to the router for a cable run....Good luck

yukiginger

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2010, 07:48 pm »
eclein, I've thought of doing this since I've owned the Duet well over a year now, but I figure the future is wireless (is it not?) and things should only improve as we go. Still, I understand that wired would take care of a lot of the issue. Yes, it would have to run between floors (system is in the basement and PC is on the first floor - although not far apart. We have now gone to "wireless" between the router and the PC (where the files are stored). Does this make a difference in this possible solution?

MarkG

scp2

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm »
I had the same issue with my duet last summer..had never happened before. Come to find ou my son had two friends over and all three were logged into my network. I think the duet eats up a lot of band width and with all the others on at the same time it kept dropping the signal. It has not happened again. It was very frustrating so now I have a plan to go wired. My router and duet are on separate floors as well. So I will be running cat 5 or 6 in the walls and have wall jacks on both floors to plug the router and duet in to.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2010, 08:34 pm »
Wired would be best, both to and from the router. You will get drops with lots of use of your internal network with wireless. If you try to play 24/96 files, you may get drops. You may get drops if your neighbor installs a new network. You may get drops if you microwave oven is on. You may get drops because of a 2.4 mHz phone network.

Lots of things can interfere with wi-fi signals. If playing music without interruptions is important to you, run Ethernet cable from the PS to the router and from the router to the DUET. You should not have any problems, then.

yukiginger

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:46 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I will consider running the cable. Just moved the home desktop PC and went wireless to it from the router. Maybe I need to rethink that....

Markg