Biwire with a sub?

Sparky14

Biwire with a sub?
« on: 22 Nov 2010, 04:12 pm »
I've got my first pair of bi-wireable speakers en-route. Being a bi-wire newbie, I could use some advice.

Amp is a 20 year old British integrated (like a Creek). 60 wpc, built like a tank. Does have two sets of speaker outputs, switched and unswitched, whatever that means.

The speakers are bookshelves, and I use a single subwoofer. So I use the switched speaker outs from the amp, run high-level to the sub, and then from the sub to the bookshelves.

So, I have a few questions....

(1) The speaker is 4 ohms. I've run 4 ohms on this amp before with no problem, but not bi-wire. Would it be too much of a current draw on the amp to biwire from the two sets of speaker outs from the amp?

(2) If that is OK, should I run the tweeter straight from the amp, and just the midrange through the sub?

(3) Should I just forget the bi-wire idea, not worth it?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Biwire with a sub?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2010, 04:38 am »
Does your sub have a high pass crossover?  If not, simply run the speaker wires directly from you amp to the bookshelves.  If the sub has a high pass then there is benefit from running the high level out from the sub as it reduces the bass load your much smaller bookshelf woofers have to handle.  If there isn't a high pass crossover then it's silly to run through your sub, biwire or not.

As far as biwiring, have you noticed a difference biwiring without the sub?  If not, why worry, speakers and amps vary wildly on whether biwiring is effective.  And even in cases where it is, the effect is subtle.  This may all be a non issue.  And biwiring doesn't change the load the amp sees from the speaker, so no worries there.

Something you haven't asked about, does your amp have RCA outputs?  If so have you tried them instead of the high level speaker connection on your sub?

Sparky14

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:03 pm »
Thanks LIR98,

My sub does have the high pass outputs, so I have used that to reduce the bass going to the mains. My amp does have a pre-out, but I haven't tried that due to the high pass option on the speaker level.

I'll probably pass on the bi-wire in this case.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:36 pm »
I suggest you experiment a bit. It's impossible to know off hand, how you'd get best results. Depending on your monitors, they might sound better without going through the subwoofer crossover. I'm assuming you can have them hooked up full range. You could try hooking up the speakers normally, to your amp and running the sub off a preamp level output. Use the level and turnover controls on the sub to blend in with your monitors. There are too many factors to say, out of hand, which would sound better. I'm also assuming your sub amp has these provisions.

Biwiring is just running 2 sets of wire to your speakers and is identical electrically, except for the wire itself. You could experiment with that as well, if you're speakers are hooked up to the amp. Both sets of wires can go to the same taps on your amp. You can also use both sets of amp outputs for biwire without changing the load on your amp. I don't think biwiring would be of any benefit from your sub crossover.

neo

sreten

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:31 pm »
Does have two sets of speaker outputs, switched and unswitched, whatever that means.

Hi,

One set is permanently connected, the other controlled by a front panel switch.
(Sometimes on serious stuff the headphone socket, not a switch.)

rgds, sreten.

FWIW the satellite speaker level filters on subs are often very poor and detrimental.