Class D amp to replace Onkyo A9555

tz1963

Class D amp to replace Onkyo A9555
« on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:07 pm »
Hi,
I have an Onkyo A9555 and wonder whether I should replace it. My source is an Eastern Electric Dac and I have Linn Majik 109 speakers and a Rel 205 sub.
I like Class-D amps because of their energy efficiency.
The W4S STI500 has very good reviews and there is quite a following for Virtue Audio Sensation 451 and the DAC Cherry amps as well.
My question is what would be the best sub $2000 Class D amp to replace my Onkyo.
Or should I not be bothered, because none of them are significantly better than the Onkyo.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

raindance

Re: Class D amp to replace Onkyo A9555
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:45 pm »
Why do you want to change? The A9555 is already a class D amplifier.

tz1963

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:51 pm »
Hi raindance,
I am hoping one of the others is significantly better than the Onkyo.

whell

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:53 pm »
I own the  Onkyo A9555.  I got it 2nd hand, and for what I paid (in the $350 range) its excellent.  However, if your budget is now in the $2K range, it opens up a whole new world of choices that include separates, which would likely be a step up from an integrated for sonics. 

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:05 pm »
What are you focused on? - 2ch only (I am assuming)?

or do you also want to add on

- multi-channel
- avr capabilities

Would help to know how you are planning on using your class d amp.

Also, there are other amp classes that run efficiently- are you open to those?

As whell says, a $2K budget does open things up.

raindance

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:06 pm »
Agreed. Why not look at the cheap & cheerful thread & see about building a Class D amp?

The hardest part with separates is trying to get the synergy you need. What would you like to improve upon with the new amp? Do you want more warmth (tube-like as some folks say) or more frequency extension? Do you feel you need more power?

tz1963

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:13 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

Funny as it may sound, I'm actually quite happy with the sound of the A9555. It is fed by the EE Dac, which has a tube stage (not just a buffer - whatever that means), so the sound I have is warm enough.

I will be using it in a 2+1 setup, the Linns with the Rel sub.

I was thinking about an integrated amp, because that would save me having to get another set of interconnects and another power cord - and the 6Moons review of the W4S Sti1000 seemed to suggest that separates may not be necessary, unless you wanted the absolute best, which my system won't be anyway.

I am open to using other, non class-d amps that are efficient, but I use the amp all day when I work from home, so its on pretty much 12 hrs per day.

davidrs

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:16 pm »

The hardest part with separates is trying to get the synergy you need. What would you like to improve upon with the new amp?

Agree with Raindance.

And given your budget, in my opinion, staying with an integrated comes with more pluses. And, as Raindance posts, eliminates matching/maximizing the components, cabling etc. Further, at a minimum, it saves you the extra expense of cables. And his question is an important one to answer.

tz1963

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:28 pm »
I'm not sure what I want to improve, because I have not really anything to compare my system with.

If I said I would like more resolution, a firmer bass, better extension of the highs, I would be saying that just because I can imagine them being better (I was at a classical concert yesterday, for example, and the live instruments did sound better than my system).

I was really hoping someone who knew the sound of the A9555 would be able to say that such and such an amp was a great step up.

whell

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:57 pm »
As mentioned, I have the A9555.  I also have the Rotel RMB-1092 in my main system.  Thought the Rotel is an ICE-amp design, its the same general idea.  One of these days I'll have to switch things around and see what the A9555 sounds like in my main system.  That said, my living room system is no slouch, and the A9555 sounds terrific in that system.  I have no desire to swap it out for anything else.

davidrs

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2010, 05:14 pm »
I'm not sure what I want to improve, because I have not really anything to compare my system with.

Per what you write below, it seems you are off to a good start. Follow your ears.

If I said I would like more resolution, a firmer bass, better extension of the highs...

-----------------------

I was really hoping someone who knew the sound of the A9555 would be able to say that such and such an amp was a great step up.

No free rides. But that is the beauty of it, don't you think?

The only way you are going to know for sure (and for yourself) if amp 'a' is different / better than amp 'b' is to spend time with both, in your system and your room.

Onkyo makes great products. However, given your budget, I am sure you will find something that brings you closer to what your definition of listening to music is all about, whether that is another Onkyo product or something very different.

Have fun with the journey.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:32 pm »
As a former A9555 owner I can't imagine a significant (IMO-YMMV) improvement from another class D integrated. If you go to a good tube preamp/class D amp setup then I could see making the move (and spending the $).

As others have stated the only opinion that matters is yours, so you really need to audition to make sure that in your opinion the improvement is worth the money spent.

Lin

tz1963

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:58 pm »
Thanks Opnly Bafld,

Have you heard the W4S, the Virtue Audio and the DAC Cherry amps?

If you say there is no point upgrading to them from the A9555, that's an important point for me.

I do trust my own ears, but I have no way of just auditioning the other amps (Virtue Audio, DAC Cherry and W4S), as I am in the UK and just getting them here is expensive, so I have to rely on others who know the A9555 to tell whether an upgrade to a more expensive amp is worth my while.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:07 pm »
Check out this review of your A9555http://stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/
All he did was replace the fuses with HiFi Tuning fuses and it came so close to his PS Audio unit that he had to listen very closely to hear a difference. Your Onkyo is about as good as it gets without spending a whole lot more.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:14 pm »
Tough spot to be in, but I understand.
I have not heard the W4S integrated, the Virtue, or the DAC amps.
I have heard the W4S amps in an unfamiliar setting and thought they were OK.  :dunno:

Lin1963 a.k.a. not much help  :(

woof

« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2010, 01:56 am »
Bel Canto has gotten rave reviews from their power amps and integrateds.  They started out Tripath that switched to B&O, I believe.  Definitely audition before laying down the long green.  Sub $2000 may be found in the used market like Audiogon or such.