Salk and Marantz?

MikeDavis

Salk and Marantz?
« on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:52 am »
Hello everyone, 1st post here.

I anticipate placing an order on a pair of HT1-TLs in the near future and therefore have turned my attention to amplification for these beauties.  I've read through all 38 pages of threads here and have seen the recommendations for AVA, Parasound, W4S, etc.  I did my research on said amps and am intrigued by the synergy between AVA and Salk.  Unfortunately, as the gear will also be in the main living area, they must pass the "eye" test from the Mrs.  And the Mrs doesn't care about synergy, build quality, etc..., only how it looks  :duh:

That being said, the Parasound gear got a "ehh" response, but the Marantz PM-11S2 got an "ooohh that's pretty" response.  Now I've known this woman for 7 years, and that's the most engaging response i've received from her in regards to anything audio related (this helps in justifying the large expense  :)).

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has heard the salk speakers with Marantz gear.  Would love to hear any and all opinions.  Also, if there are other SS amps that might pass the "eye" test, i would love to hear about.  My budget is <$5K, and would prefer the option of balanced inputs. 

Thanks, and happy holidays. 

Will2

Re: Salk and Marantz?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:08 am »
Hi Mike,

Welcome to AC - hope you have fun here, I certainly have.  In terms of high quality 2 channel SS amps that pass the eye test, your budget should leave you with a good range of choices.  These are my favorites aesthetically - http://www.modwright.com/galleries/7 - not sure if they will appeal to your better half but they have had great reviews from others here on AC.  They do come up used, although infrequently, and Dan sometimes has some demo units for some great prices too so you could call him if you are interested.

Cheers
Will

srb

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:37 am »
Since you are asking about the Marantz PM-11S2, I assume you are only looking for integrated amplifiers?  The Marantz does have a striking classic appearance and looks pretty good on the inside also.

The PM-11S2 has a robust power supply which allows it to double it's 100W/channel 8 ohm rating to 200W/channel at 4 ohms.  While 100W would be adequate to drive the 85dB / 8 ohm HT1-TL, I would prefer to see that particular amp driving the 88dB / 4 ohm HT2-TL.

Steve

MikeDavis

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:52 am »
Will, thanks for the welcome.  Those modwright pieces are stunning!  The price of the amps (100kwa or 150kwa) along with preamp pushes the budget a little too much, but i'll keep an eye out for a used set.

Steve, i'm not opposed to separates, but i do prefer the convenience an integrated offers.  And while the HT2-TLs have received tons of praise, i actually prefer the look of a single woofer in the cabinet.  Plus i believe the HT2s might be overkill for our room. 

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:19 am »
I may be in the minority, but since my wife doesn't care for the look of any audio equipment, we have all of our equipment on shelves inside an entertainment center with doors on the front.  The doors are only open for additional ventilation when the system is in use.  Just another option to consider.

Will2

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:34 pm »
Mike, have a look at this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85609.0 . Looks like Dan's demos might fit your budget when they are available.  Maybe call him and you might be lucky.  Just an option for you.  Personally I like separates because they let you modify your system over time incrementally - downside is size and cost (remember the cost of interconnects).  If you are looking for an integrated you might consider the newer versions of the Decco.   http://signalpathint.com/index.php/decco2/ .  They sound good and come up used on AudiogoN quite regularly ( here's one http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1295365886&/PeachTree-Decco-2-Integrated-t ). The nice thing is you could start with just that and build from there like adding a more powerful amp later if you want more power.  Not sure what you will think of the look but to my eye they are quite stylish.

MichiganMike

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:02 pm »
Mike, you did not say which Parasound equipment you showed your wife.  If it was not the Parasound Halo line, you might check to see if that passes muster.  The Parasound Halo line also has the balanced inputs you desired.  My wife found the looks of the Halo line to be much more appealing than the New Classic line.  I use a Parasound C2 controller and an A23 amplifier with SongTowers with good results and high WAF.  You might consider a Parasound P3 preamplifier instead of the C2, especially if you desire a phono input.

If you shop around, you should be able to buy a demo P3 and A23 for under $1500 or used for about $1100.  You might also consider a demo or used A21, instead of the A23, if you can stretch your budget.  I bought a used A21 for $1250 for another system and with 250 watts into 8 ohms it will have ample power for the HT1-TL.  I personally would prefer a P3 preamp and A21 amp over the Marantz.  YMMV.

The linked review provides another perspective on the A21 amp, its cosmetics and build quality.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/parasound-halo-a-21/halo-a-21-amplifier-build-quality-continued

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:07 pm »
I have a full SongSeries setup paired with a Marantz 7002 receiver. I'm very pleased with the results.

MikeDavis

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:13 pm »
Mike, you did not say which Parasound equipment you showed your wife.  If it was not the Parasound Halo line, you might check to see if that passes muster. 

The Halo definitely has higher WAF than the classic line.  The P3/A21 combo could certainly be an option.  You mentioned using the C1 controller with your amp.  Was that replaced by the JC2, or something entirely different?  The JC2 looks like a real performer, albeit pricey.

I should probably mention that i anticipate a 50/50 split between music listening and HT (But with more emphasis put on the 2-channel music quality). 

srb

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:25 pm »
If you are intending to use a separate surround sound receiver or processor in conjuction with a 2 channel preamp, the Parasound Halo P7 and the just-released JC2 BP both have an HT bypass input, whereas the P3 and JC2 do not.

Steve

Will2

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:30 pm »
If you are intending to use a separate surround sound receiver or processor in conjuction with a 2 channel preamp, the Parasound Halo P7 and the just-released JC2 BP both have an HT bypass input, whereas the P3 and JC2 do not.

Steve

The JC2 is a great unit.  It doesn't have the HT bypass but I believe Parasound will upgrade it for $500.  Might be more cost-effective to buy a used JC2 and upgrade than buying a new JC2 BP.

MichiganMike

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:00 pm »
You mentioned using the C1 controller with your amp.  Was that replaced by the JC2, or something entirely different?  T

I am using a Parasound C2 controller, which is a preamp processor for home theater and audio.  The C2 and C1 controllers were discontinued by Parasound about two years ago.  Initial reports were that these would be replaced by the Halo C3, but the C3 has been put on hold indefinitely. 

The C2 was well reviewed and regarded for both HT and audio when it was introduced at an MSRP of $4000.  The C2 and C1 lack HDMI inputs and some of the latest video processing and audio equalization features, which resulted in these units being discontinued.  However, you can purchase a used C2 today under $1200.  I purchased a demo unit with full warranty.  For the current price, I feel the C2 is an under appreciated alternative.  Find more information at Parasound.com. http://www.parasound.com/vintage/c2.php   

The JC2 is a high end preamplifier rated well above the C2 for analog audio, but it lacks the digital processing in the C2.  Even used, the JC2 is about double the price of the C2.  The JC2 with HT bypass would be even more.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:50 pm »
Which is the better amp to use: the Marantz Reference integrated or the Parasound Halo seperates?

Philistine

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:52 pm »
I understand where your wife is coming from here.  Jim goes out of his way to make his speakers as attractive as possible, which is diametrically opposed to the AVA approach and gear.  You would think that the ability to have an attractive faceplate, with even the option to have a matching faceplate on the electronics made by Jim to match the speakers, would be an interesting option?

Some more ideas:

My first reaction was the Sim Audio gear:
http://www.simaudio.com/moonaudio.htm
The higher end gear (600i and 700i) is beautiful, but too expensive

Another option is a Musical Fidelity integrated:
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/M6-Series/M6i/M6i.asp

I see the HT1-TL's are similar in efficiency to HT3's.  I ran my HT3's with a MF amp and the synergy was excellent, regardless of the bad press MF get for being too popular with Stereophile, they do give you quality watts at a great price.  Underwood HiFi will be able to give you a heads up on how the MF, PeachTree and Modwright perform.  I'm running a Modwright preamp and amps into my HT3's and are a great combination, as previously mentioned, you might want to give Dan a call and find out if he has any deals going on with returned gear from shows and/or reviewers.  As a long term HT3 owner I find them to be very accurate, detailed and leaning towards the clinical side, if the HT1-TL's have similar voicing you might want to have tubes somewhere in the electronics chain to make them less sterile and more musical.   

MikeDavis

« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:28 am »
Another option is a Musical Fidelity integrated:
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/M6-Series/M6i/M6i.asp

These amps have a very nice "clean" look.  Good to hear they have good synergy with Salks.  I think I'll investigate these a little further. Thanks. 

clipped

« Reply #15 on: 23 Nov 2010, 05:45 pm »
That's why they make furniture with doors :lol:
I have only AVA gear, all of which is behind closed doors when not in use.
Just my 2 cents.

dakulis

« Reply #16 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm »
Mike,

My lovely wife gave the thumbs up to a Unison Research product.  They do some absolutely beautiful integrateds and tube amps.  Here's a link:

http://unisonresearch.com/#id_ENG

I'll be driving my HT2-TLs with a Unison Research Unico and the newer integrated has a little bit more get up and go and it is well within your budget and can be seriously upgraded through Underwood HiFi.  Good luck, Dave

Stylus

« Reply #17 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:49 pm »
I have been thrilled with my McIntosh MA-6500 paired with my Salk SongTowers.  LOVE having tone controls again, mono switch, loudness, etc.  My wife loves the way it looks and it sounds wonderful.  I paid ~$2k used.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:02 am »
I have a Parasound Halo A21 amp and I heard it with a AVA preamp and DAC with the Salk HTR-3's at Mr. Van Alstine's house (I brought the Parasound over to his house to audition it with his gear) and it sounded great but not quite as good in some respect as his FET Valve 550 ex amp with the Salks as AVA gear has a certain synergy with Salk. 

As far as appearance, the Halo line is elegant and rich looking in an unassuming way.  It's certainly a lot of bang with for the buck and can compete with amps costing twice as much.

MikeDavis

« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:14 am »
I have been thrilled with my McIntosh MA-6500 paired with my Salk SongTowers.  LOVE having tone controls again, mono switch, loudness, etc.  My wife loves the way it looks and it sounds wonderful.  I paid ~$2k used.

Those meters are nice.  I was also considering the Luxman L-505u which has similar meters.  $2000 is a really good deal.  I thought i remember the ma-6600 retailing for $6k.