Where's the Bang for Buck in AV Receivers?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Where's the Bang for Buck in AV Receivers?
« on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:56 pm »
I recently built a wall of bookshelves for a client that included an area for a TV. On my suggestion we prewired everything for a 5.1 surround. Really nice people who liked the idea, but don't have the inclination to research this kind of thing.

When I pictured them going into Best Buy and getting wrangled, I offered my help and will probably build some of Danny Richie's offerings for the mains and surrounds. What I don't have a clue about is the current crop of AV receivers.

This will be a modest system, but I convinced them it could be done while not ignoring sound quality for audio only listening. Likely budget for the receiver is somewhere south of $1000, but they are flexible. I should add that the connected overall room is not small, but we'll be using the area directly in front of the TV as the theater within a room, so to speak.

He also indicated interest in hooking up a turntable, so inputs for that would be nice, but I doubt that's a popular request and we can handle with a preamp.

Here's the room, cabinets in but not completed

Bill@LakeGeorge

Re: Where's the Bang for Buck in AV Receivers?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:35 pm »
Anthem has a new line of AVR's the MRX 300 comes in at 1K should be able to get a few hundred off that.  It comes with the awesome Anthem Room Correction software.

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:34 pm »
I like my Yamaha RX-Z7.  The RX-A2000 can obtained for around $1.2k.

vlad335

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2010, 04:49 am »
Bang for the buck. What I did was pick up a refurbished Yamaha RX-V863 for $350 and use the preamp outputs to an Emotiva amp. ( These are on sale now.) The receiver has all the features including HD radio, Sirius, Ipod hookup, 6 channel input for SACD, and Audessy room correction. Using the preamp outs to dedicated amplification makes a huge difference and a hard to beat system for the money.

The above receiver and dedicated amp will even leave money left over for a good Logitech Harmony remote.