• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BDA-1 Customer Feedback
« on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:36 am »
Sent: November-17-10 10:25 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: My New Bryston BDA 1

James:

After telling you I would get around to buying the BDA 1 for a while, I was able to do so on Monday.  My usual shop, Commercial Electronics here in Vancouver, was as usual stellar in service, attitude and professionalism.  My regular salesman, Dennis, was off that day but Jeremy was equal in excellence.  You chose well in selecting this store you represent your interests.  I look forward to having to go back to get the digital cable I wanted that was not in stock at the time.  They were friendly, professional and prompt, everything one would hope to expect from an audio store, and especially without the hubris and attitude high end stores have seemed to attracted of late.

I have listened to the BDA 1 in my system now and can only relay how happy I am with the purchase, and I am sure you have heard this before, I cannot believe I did not do it sooner.  The music from my CD collection has been elevated to another level.  Soundstage is deeper, richer and more detailed; highs are more open, extended and detailed, and the bass, a Bryston strength, is robust, detailed and powerful.  So much so, in fact, that I had to turn the level of my subwoofer system down a full level.  I find I do not need to turn the volume up as much.  And to think it most likely has not really been broken in nor perhaps at its best with the "temporary" cable.  I knew getting a standalone DAC was the way to go, but clearly your DAC has elevated my system to a level I could not of imagined.  I am not a vinyl fan but look forward to high res downloads and other digital media as that is where I see it going.  I would like to point out that the CD player I am now using as a transport is no slouch, even for its time, but clearly modern DACs have evolved the digital format, and you have done so with astounding results.

Interestingly, the release of the DBP 1 is no coincidence?  Very timely.  I am not a dowloader as I prefer CD's which cannot get corrupted, but clearly it is a unit that I must examine in the future.  But before that, with my extended subwoofer system, I can assure you that the SUB 10 crossover, in silver fascia, is definitely in the "next upgrade" list.

I commend you and your company, yet again, on a superb product at prices that are reasonable and attainable, especially compared to the high end out there.  I am glad I could yet again support Canadian brothers and sisters.

Take care and profuse thanks.

Peter John Leeds

James Tanner

• Facilitator

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: BDA-1 Customer Feedback
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:29 am »
Sent: November-29-10 9:16 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: BDA 1

Hello James:

I have had my BDA 1 for 2 weeks now and wanted to tell you how impressed I am with the quality of sound my system now has.  My CD player, now transport (it has digital out) is my main source of music, and it has never been better since the introduction of the BDA 1 and has, since I installed it, gotten better with time.  The soundstage is wide, deep, expansive.  But the sound itself is rich, detailed, airy and robust.  In fact, I was firmly in the "you must use equalisation" camp but since the BDA 1 I have used tone control less and less.  I am trying to go "straight wire with gain" but give me time.

I am also very impressed with the fact the build quality and price.  It is not cheap; but rather, obtainable.  Something rare in the high end.  But you still get high end sound.  I cannot imagine what the next 5 years holds for my system, but certainly nothing but pure enjoyment and satisfaction.

I commend you and your company on a product that truly brings reference grade sound at a price that is well within reach of the audiophile.

Peter

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:33 am »
Great reviews. I especially agree with this: 
"I commend you and your company on a product that truly brings reference grade sound at a price that is well within reach of the audiophile."

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2010, 10:28 am »
BDA-1 is really great. Mine, brand new, is less than a week at my home and even now sounds very very good.

Oz

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2010, 11:44 pm »
Hi Folks,

Got this today:

Hi James,

The Bryston BDA-1 DAC is getting a Secrets Best of 2010 Award for DACs. The banners will be posted in the next week or so and you are free to download the banner to post on the Bryston website.

Sincerely,

John E. Johnson, Jr.
Editor-in-Chief
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2010, 11:23 am »
Congrats!

klao

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2010, 02:51 pm »
Hi James,

Since what serial number of the BDA-1 that the buttons are same style as those in the BDP-1?  How many more bundles of these combo are available with Bryston thumb drive?  Thanks.

Klao

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:54 pm »
Hi James,

Since what serial number of the BDA-1 that the buttons are same style as those in the BDP-1?  How many more bundles of these combo are available with Bryston thumb drive?  Thanks.

Klao

Hi Klao,

We have not produced any DAC's with the new buttons.  It will be about another 4-5 months before we do.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2011, 10:45 am »

May 2011

Bryston BDA-1

Just picked up my BDA-1 yesterday. I'd been considering getting the Rega DAC or even the W4S DAC2, but I knew it would just be an incremental upgrade and I would end up getting the Bryston down the road anyway.

Hooked it up with a digital optical cable from my Cambridge 650C CDP. I was expecting an improvement from the DACs in the CA (this ain't a shabby CDP player either), but holy crap! I was astounded by how good this thing is! By far the biggest improvement in my system to date.

I'll write a bit more about it when I have time, just getting ready for work now.

headshrinker2

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2011, 02:03 pm »
James,
I have to add my positive feedback to this thread.  I've happily owned an all Naim system for several years.  Naim is a great company, with a great community as well. 

I recently picked up a BDA-1 DAC, that I use with several digital sources including MacBook Pro, AppleTV(2), and NAD C541 CDP.  I was not prepared for how significantly the BDA-1 upgraded my existing gear.  Holy Cow!   If I was better at describing audio, I would try and put it into words. Lets just say I am listening to all of my recordings again more than I have in years.  My NAD CDP, acting as transport, is so good with the BDA-1, I decided to sell my high end Naim CDP.  No regrets.  AppleTV(2) + BDA-1 has no right to sound as good as it does. 

Congrats on a great product. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2011, 05:30 pm »
James,
I have to add my positive feedback to this thread.  I've happily owned an all Naim system for several years.  Naim is a great company, with a great community as well. 

I recently picked up a BDA-1 DAC, that I use with several digital sources including MacBook Pro, AppleTV(2), and NAD C541 CDP.  I was not prepared for how significantly the BDA-1 upgraded my existing gear.  Holy Cow!   If I was better at describing audio, I would try and put it into words. Lets just say I am listening to all of my recordings again more than I have in years.  My NAD CDP, acting as transport, is so good with the BDA-1, I decided to sell my high end Naim CDP.  No regrets.  AppleTV(2) + BDA-1 has no right to sound as good as it does. 

Congrats on a great product.

Well thank you headshrinker2 - much appreciated - Naim vs Bryston seems to be coming up a lot more lately :thumb:  Still can't get the British press to rate us as high as Naim though :duh:

Alpha10

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2011, 06:10 pm »
Well thank you headshrinker2 - much appreciated - Naim vs Bryston seems to be coming up a lot more lately :thumb:  Still can't get the British press to rate us as high as Naim though :duh:

You do not do enough advertisement deals with them then, seems to be all that counts  :nono: :nono:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2011, 08:16 pm »

You do realize there are rules to the game? Followng them it is only logical Bryston usually ends up just a bit lower... It's all a matter of being close to a source, and since NAIM is British: that is the source the local reviewers are closest to. I am positive NAIM suffers the same thing in Ontario...

THE (SECRET) RULES OF 'AUDIO REVIEWING'

1. Never anger any protected audio industry entity, such as:

A. An important current, or potential, advertiser; including manufacturers, distributors or retailers, or...

B. Any other audio establishment which has a "personal relationship" with you.

2. Delay acknowledging any serious problems with a "protected" component until you give another rave review to the "updated" model which replaces it and "corrects" the problems.

3. Avoid making any direct comparisons with a "protected" component, but if you have to, follow these "Solutions":

A. Compare the component only to older and/or obsolete models, especially from the same manufacturer. (See Rule #2 above).

B. If Solution "A" is not possible, compare the component to "competitors" costing either MUCH more or MUCH less.

C. If both Solutions "A" or "B" are not possible, "neglect" to mention the actual names and model numbers of the rival components that you compare it to in the review.

D. If Solutions "A", "B" or "C" are all not feasible, and you must compare the model to a current, similarly priced (and "protected") competitor that you must name, then you must be:

1. As ambiguous as possible, and you must also...
2. Never describe any problem as "serious" (See Rule #3.E)
3. Never proclaim one model to be clearly superior to the other(s). In short...
4. Both (or all) of the components must be seen as equally desirable and of similar value.

E. Problems or imperfections that aren't obvious (such as no bass below 40 Hz with small speakers), may be described as "serious" (easy to hear) only when using Solutions "A", "B" or "C".

However, any problems described when using Solution "D" must always be "subtle" and "difficult to hear", or even described as an "advancement" if possible.

4. You must never inform readers if an "audiophile" accessory or tweak is also available in a generic form at a fraction of the price that the "protected" manufacturer is charging (Blue Tac and RFI rings etc.).

5. Any and all "transactions" between you and any of the parties mentioned in Rule #1 must always be kept strictly Confidential. Accordingly...

A. You must never divulge the actual price, if any, you paid to "purchase" your reference components or accessories, or any extra costs you paid, if any, to have those same components updated, modified, repaired, replaced etc.

B. You must never divulge any "gifts", "favors" or "perks" that you received from the "protected" audio entities, or those with whom you have a "personal relationship".

6. You must never mention the actual costs, even at retail prices, of the parts that are used to manufacture the component.

7. Further to Rules #4 & #6, you must never state, or even imply, that any component or accessory is "over-priced".

8. The more corrupt your magazine is, the more you shall proclaim your honesty.

9. Magazines shall never divulge the actual percentage of their advertising revenues to their total revenues.

10. OVERRIDE CLAUSE- Some of the preceding rules (#1, #2 & #3) may be ignored only in the event of either a serious (and apparently indefinite) breach of the "personal relationship" between the audio company and reviewer/magazine, and/or the termination, or non-payment, of their advertising contract.

COPYRIGHT 2000-2011 ARTHUR SALVATORE

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2011, 09:40 pm »
If you only new Art like I know Art :lol:

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2011, 10:31 am »
-----Original Message-----
Sent: May-13-11 2:53 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: Bdp1 sorteste

Hi James

I  sold my Bda1 and bought a Weiss dac 202 without listening first because of the rave reviews the Weiss gets . Had it for 3 months ,but I never got it to sound as good as the Bda1 . I sold it and bought a new Bda 1 , and now its fun to Play music again . I will never do that mistake again , unless Bryston comes without a new dac of course ;)

The new dac has serial 000925 bought from Tor at Lyric Hifi , does it have the latest software ?

Regards
Eirik

Viajero5000

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2011, 03:58 pm »
If you only new Art like I know Art :lol:

James

Hi James, I don't follow, who (or what) is Art? (are you referring to Arthur Salvatore)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2011, 04:32 pm »
Hi James, I don't follow, who (or what) is Art? (are you referring to Arthur Salvatore)?

Hi Viajero5000,

Yes Art and I go way back to his days in Toronto on Queen street. Have spent many a time listening with him in darken rooms :thumb:

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2011, 05:07 pm »
Hi Viajero5000,

Yes Art and I go way back to his days in Toronto on Queen street. Have spent many a time listening with him in darken rooms :thumb:

james

James, that's very interesting, it's a small world.  I wouldn't have expected you guys to see eye to eye on some things though! :)  He has strong opinions on what's 'right', and appears to sit firmly in the tube/vinyl/high efficiency camp.  At least he doesn't appear to be influenced by manufacturers.  I have had a look at his website in the past - I purchased a pair of Wyetech Labs Topaz mono-blocks a few months ago for a second system, which are one of the very few amps that he previously rated as 'Class A' on his site.     

I think you should loan him the latest Bryston amps btw - they might make him revisit his views!  :thumb: 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2011, 05:29 pm »
James, that's very interesting, it's a small world.  I wouldn't have expected you guys to see eye to eye on some things though! :)  He has strong opinions on what's 'right', and appears to sit firmly in the tube/vinyl/high efficiency camp.  At least he doesn't appear to be influenced by manufacturers.  I have had a look at his website in the past - I purchased a pair of Wyetech Labs Topaz mono-blocks a few months ago for a second system, which are one of the very few amps that he previously rated as 'Class A' on his site.     

I think you should loan him the latest Bryston amps btw - they might make him revisit his views!  :thumb:

Hi Viajero,

Yes small world indeed. It is indicative of the fact that our opinions are exactly that - our opinions - nothing more - nothing less.

james