Alexandria Oracle Mark I

ACuriousRabbit

Alexandria Oracle Mark I
« on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:38 am »
Hello everyone,
My aunt recently moved and while packing things up found an Oracle Audio Alexandria Mk I her husband had owned before he passed away. It's been packed in a box for around 15 years, and though it was taken care of excellently while he was alive, it somehow has gotten some wear and tear since being boxed up. She wants to sell it, so I've been looking around trying to find what it'd be worth in its current condition. I'll detail the issues here with pictures in hopes someone can give me an estimate.

The outside appearance is almost perfect. The dustcover has no pits, scratches or dings that I noticed and still has the Oracle logo on top. The problems here are that the screw springs for the suspension are missing their caps, and the record clamp is gone.

The next issue I noticed was the platter on which the records sit was not turning smoothly, and was actually grinding against the surface of the table on the right side due to the suspension being extremely offset. This has marred the surface with a black streak that cannot be cleaned.

After trying to adjust the suspension with the spring screws to no avail, I decided to open up the chassis and see if there was some other problem. I discovered that the cast iron undercarriage has cracked with age over its entire surface, weakening its structure, and this has resulted in warping of the arms that connect to the spring screws and a drooping of everything to the right no matter how the suspension is adjusted. You can see in the picture below how sunken the tone arm is.

Of course this means the turntable is completely non functioning unless the undercarriage is replaced. Since this is the case, I cannot test anything but whether it powers on or not, which it does, though I found out by hacking together a makeshift power supply since the original is also missing.

To summarize, it's missing the spring screw caps, power supply and record clamp and the undercarriage needs to be replaced.
Thank you!

TONEPUB

Re: Alexandria Oracle Mark I
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:01 am »
I just payed $400 for one in mint condition, so I'd say maybe $100 as is for parts...

Let me know if you want to sell it for that.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:04 pm »
As a whole, that cracked sub chassis will lower the price of the whole thing.  Replacing that alone would be over $300.  Your best bet would be to sell all good parts individually.  You might get:

$10-20 for cartridge
$50-100 for arm (as long as auto-lift works)
$40-60 for dustcover with hinges
$40-80 for motor (as long as it works)
$10-30 for platter
$10-15 for springs

That's probably all you'd be able to salvage off this one.  You could try selling the chassis too though I doubt it would go for much.

Ebay would be the best place to try this.

Good luck!

rcag_ils

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:00 pm »
Would be a good restoration project for newbies.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:39 pm »
Would be a good restoration project for newbies.

No doubt!

The sub-chassis are available from Oracle.  Some of the originals had a problem with warping and so they have made some replacements to keep these tables going.  But the clamps and the tower caps are no longer available to my knowledge.  They do show up on ebay every now and then.  You could certainly rock and roll without the tower caps and use some other brand of clamp until you find these used.   Bad timing on this thread though.  All the missing parts were available on ebay just a couple of weeks ago.  Similar situation to you in that the seller scavenged a table and sold the parts.

rcag_ils

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:46 pm »
The sub-chassis are available from Oracle.  Some of the originals had a problem with warping and so they have made some replacements to keep these tables going.  But the clamps and the tower caps are no longer available to my knowledge.  They do show up on ebay every now and then.

Newbies would be very happy when this is all restored. Oracle may still be able to supply some of the missing parts. Or just get the Prelude tonearm and mount it on some other table. Beats buying the plug and play made in China stuff, and learn about how turntable works along the way.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:20 am »
Oh yeah, Power supplies are available from Oracle.  But there is currently one on ebay.

Check to see if the auto-lift works.  That's the Achilles heel of the arm.