Aerobie AeroPress users: How many times do you use the filter?

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Saw this statement from SATFRAT on one of his posts on the Coffee thread:

"since having been turned onto the AeroPress here on AudioCircle. Yes the press uses paper filters but I get around 20-30 cups per filter"

I use mine for two cups. Once in the morning and once in the evening. It is rinsed and reversed for the second pour. Then it is discarded.

I've seen comments on coffeegeeks that range in the 3 to 4 uses.

Should I be mining the filter like satfrat?

How many times are you using your filters for the AeroPress?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Once.  But then I only drink 1 cup per day.  Switch to tea in the evenings.

Philistine

Well, I'm on the same side of the equation as Robin in that it's embarrassing how long the filters will last.  I normally throw them out after 2 weeks because of boredom not filter failure.  On the coffegeek site the AeroPress inventor was supportive of long term filter reuse.
So my filters get thrown out after about 20 brews but could go on much longer.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
4-6 cups a day, 20-30 uses per filter. I use 2 filters and alternate so 1 always gets the time to completely dry out. I simply rinse in hot water after each use and let dry on the stainless steel dish rack.  :thumb:

I would simply recommend that you try "mining" a filter til it's good n' brown and try doing a cup comparison with a clean filter, say a 1/2 cup with each filter, and see for yourself if you can detect a difference. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you find that the "mined" filter gives you the better flavor.  :dunno:

My personal feeling is the browner the paper gets, the less paper taste you'll get. Call it a "gut" feeling.  :lol:

I'd be curious to hear what you come up with if you decide to "mine" like mine.  :eyebrows: 

edit: I do agree wih Phil tho, I've never thrown out a filter from it's failure. But once it starts looking like my toilet paper on a "good day", I figure it's time for a new one. And before you ask, no, I don't "mine" my toilet paper too.  :rotflmao:

Cheers,
Robin

davidrs

So my filters get thrown out after about 20 brews but could go on much longer.

Philistine & Satfrat,

Since you're into long-term relationships with your filters, here are 12 ways To Not Let Go....  :lol:

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/12-alternative-uses-for-coffee-filters-1956097

And if you really cannot let go - there is always coffee-filter art  :thumb:

Though from your own admissions, I somehow see deeper earth tones  :lol:

Unexpected, but beneficial side benefit:

Makes for a great sound absorption panel  :icon_lol:

- Thanks for your thoughts. I'm mulling the mining!

***david

Philistine

Great ideas David - at my current rate of filter consumption I should have enough filters to make a small diffuser in about 25 years........ :rotflmao:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
I think I'll continue to discard my "mined" filters for my stated reason.  :duh:   :lol:

I did buy 700 filters when I purchased my AeroPress, not knowing when about "filter mining". At 59, I don't expect I'll ever find a need to buy another batch of 350 filters. BUT if Aeropress ever came out with a gold plated filter cover, I would buy 1 or 2 of them in a second. I use to use a gold plated filter basket in my old brewer and really loved it. Then maybe I could explore filter diffusion with ya, but with only "unmined" filters.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

davidrs

Philistine,

I think we have enough AeroPress users on AudioCircle to make this happen:

We all accumulate our used filters and send them my way (once yearly).

I will build a series of panels with the filters arranged asymmetrically (two dimensionally and in depth) and we can get a tour going.

Bet the idea will beat leading room treatment fixes. I'm guessing coffee solids and oils on the filters have some as yet to be determined Mind and Ear Blowing Acoustic Enhancing Properties!

Now we've got to figure out how to market and price it.