Calling all AR owners

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
Calling all AR owners
« on: 16 Nov 2010, 02:53 pm »
Hey folks, I'm pretty new to this forum, but not new to AR tables.
How about we talk about tips, tweaks, set-up, etc of our tables. I was a contributor to an AR forum on another site for years, I've developed some parts that cure some glaring issues.   All I need is someone to walk me through on how to post pics on this forum  (i'm an old guy that is completely baffled by digital media)

Marc

TheChairGuy

Re: Calling all AR owners
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:46 pm »
Posting pics is reasonably easy, Marc....you have to load any pics you have in your computer into something on the internet.

AudioCircle provides Gallery space for any member where you can load pics you want to post on AudioCircle (or other forums on the net if you'd like).

There's a tab at the top of AudioCircle, 4th one from the left, marked Gallery.  There you can load your pics.  If you are having any problems posting the pic(s) to your topic - just let me know - or do a shout out to any member that can help you. 

It is an oft wonderful surprise to find so many willing to share various expertise here at AudioCircle.

John

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:13 pm »
In the meantime.........

Wayner  :D

BaMorin

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:33 pm »
In the meantime.........

Wayner  :D

Pretty..........is that a TA or did you refinish the gravel coat off an XA?

Marc

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:38 pm »
Hey folks, I'm pretty new to this forum, but not new to AR tables.
How about we talk about tips, tweaks, set-up, etc of our tables. I was a contributor to an AR forum on another site for years, I've developed some parts that cure some glaring issues.   All I need is someone to walk me through on how to post pics on this forum  (i'm an old guy that is completely baffled by digital media)

Marc

LOL N00b  :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:08 pm »
The early AR-XA, 2 motor version had a smooth, non-textured finish to it and this is that original plinth. This one has the single motor revision kit to it (Haydon), and the turntable is now in the hands of Frank Van Alstine. The walnut base was sanded and re-oiled, otherwise, everything is original.

Wayner

BaMorin

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:24 pm »
LOL N00b  :lol:

What can I say to that other than  10000111  100101110 1110 000101   :P

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2010, 09:29 pm »
Unfortunately, AR chose a material that was not ozone compatible and their TT mats, tone arm damper and even speaker surrounds fell victim to a poor choice in materials. I have tooled up a replica mat made from EPDM with the same dimensions, but alas, the tooling and the stock of 100 pieces are gone. If someone would twist my arm, I might retool again. I have about 6 pieces around here that are on various tables, but that is the end of it.

As for buying, or working on AR tables, I'm basically sick of them. The tethered tonearm is a PITA and while a good performer, does not have anti-skating or cueing (except the AR-XB and later models). If you decide to buy one on eBay or Audiogon, ask if the motor is good as the Haydon motors seem to have not survived the test of time as well as some other table motors. They are the best shielded motor of any table probably ever made.

Just some dribbles.

Wayner

BaMorin

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2010, 09:38 pm »
Unfortunately, AR chose a material that was not ozone compatible and their TT mats, tone arm damper and even speaker surrounds fell victim to a poor choice in materials. I have tooled up a replica mat made from EPDM with the same dimensions, but alas, the tooling and the stock of 100 pieces are gone. If someone would twist my arm, I might retool again. I have about 6 pieces around here that are on various tables, but that is the end of it.

As for buying, or working on AR tables, I'm basically sick of them. The tethered tonearm is a PITA and while a good performer, does not have anti-skating or cueing (except the AR-XB and later models). If you decide to buy one on eBay or Audiogon, ask if the motor is good as the Haydon motors seem to have not survived the test of time as well as some other table motors. They are the best shielded motor of any table probably ever made.

Just some dribbles.

Wayner

I have about 4 to 6 of the 1.5 watt haydon motors. several of them are new old stock.....I have run them and added a bit of lube at the bushing.  They aren't shielded.......( the two motor tables were ). But only producing 1.5 watts of power, the magnetic field was very low. 1/4 of the field strength of the 3 watt hurst used on the later models such as I have.

on another topic.....same thread.  can somebody  w    a    l    k   (as in slow step by step) of what i have to do to post pics in this forum.  I went up to gallery, clicked on it....some boxes showed up and then I was stuck.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2010, 09:46 pm »
What browser are you using?

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2010, 10:19 pm »
I have about 4 to 6 of the 1.5 watt haydon motors. several of them are new old stock.....I have run them and added a bit of lube at the bushing.  They aren't shielded.......( the two motor tables were ). But only producing 1.5 watts of power, the magnetic field was very low. 1/4 of the field strength of the 3 watt hurst used on the later models such as I have.

on another topic.....same thread.  can somebody  w    a    l    k   (as in slow step by step) of what i have to do to post pics in this forum.  I went up to gallery, clicked on it....some boxes showed up and then I was stuck.

Marc, sign up with photobucket, imageshack, or another hosting site. Upload your photos to that site.  Then just use the Picture Link button just above the smilies to open a dialog box to link your photo. Then you copy the link of the pic you want from the photo hosting site and paste the link in the dialog box that opens when you click on the Picture Link button when you're replying to a post on AC. Voila, you have now added a picture to your post.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2010, 10:50 pm »
Hi Bamorin,Wayner forgot one thing.First of all,nice table Wayner.What Wayner forgot is that where he works,for Audio by VanAlStine,Frank VanAlstine put out a news letter in 1980 and on called Audio Basics.He did a whole issue on modifying the AR turntable.I did 2 of them,one for me and one for a buddy.He now gives out the Audio Basics articles for free.Go to his site on your computer and look up Audio Basics and you will find the instructions.It wasn't to hard to do and I had a blast doing it.I still have the recomended lubricants and if you deside to give it a go,the mod,I have plenty to go around and would be glad to send you enough if you want.Just seeing that picture of Waynes table is making me get mine up and running again.I also had trouble with the picture thing on the computer and was given some really good instruction by a few members in the vintage circle in Audio Circle.Just look for my name and you'll find I asked the same question....take care....Mark Korda

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm »
Thank you Mark for your kind words. What I will say is that if you have a fine up and running AR-XA table, with all the tweaks and perhaps a Grado Longhorn installed, you may have one of the finest sounding analog tables...ever. The real problem is finding one that is in good operating order. At one time, I had 3 of these tables. 2 have turned into other beasts that I have modded.

"ARMod"

and the other

"ARCom"

These are tables that have taken the "guts" of the AR to a new level.

Wayner

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:35 am »
Hey Wayner,thanks for the kind words!After seeing those AR XA photos you posted,I'm stuck back in 1963...wow! I still have a Audio Technique safety raiser that I never put on my AR,ala 1978 that would save stylus wear if and when I passed out,if I could get the finger cueing right before ruining the album outright.I have saved some article that sold an anti skating mod for cheap,I'll dig it up and make you a copy,as well as some other stuff I promissed a couple notes ago.You the Man!...thanks for your help in the near past you have given me...Mark K......I bet you have come up with a better dust cover design than the old one,cause I need that,I live in a (Bin),the dust bin.